Author Topic: Securing Lights to pvc pipe?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Securing Lights to pvc pipe?
« on: May 14, 2011, »
Hi Folks,

I am finally getting around to putting some rgb string nodes on 3/4" pvc pipe. Since I have not tested these lights yet this was only a practice run to see how it will look and if I need to add or subtract nodes. Basically I have a "square" frame of pvc (window frame) and I want them to lights to be on the inside of the frame. I just used some spring clamps to hold them in place and then wrapped string around the pipe and lights. At first it was looking good but as I went around the frame the lights started moving around. Now I am wondering if I need to put something on the pipe so the lights and wires don't slide around. My first thought is a clear bead of silicone.

Also I am not totally sure how I am going to mount the frame to the window yet. I am thinking of getting some metal straps (bendable with holes in them) and just attach it to the frame and then run a screen in to the wood moulding of the window.

Please excuse the bad picture and messy background in the picture

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jess_her

Re: Securing Lights to pvc pipe?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, »
I had a friend who used PVC pipe. He was thinking out loud one day and was going to split the pipe to install the string but I think he just settled on nylon tie straps. Also he used hooks to hang his frame on windows and on his gutters, built 10' sections so he could series them together for gutters. This worked quite well for him. Hope this helps.
Jess
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, by jess_her »
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline tng5737

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, »
I plan on using J-Channel made into a frame - held together with rivets.  Holes drilled every 3" for the lights - that way the wiring is hidden also.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, »
Thanks Jess for the feedback,

Yes I do plan to use tie straps for the final product and I should of mention that.

Hooks could work but I am concern about the wind we get here.

The silicone idea is to give some friction for the lights/wire so they don't slide around while out on display or when put away in storage.
I have problems with my pvc micro trees with the wire sliding and this might help.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, »
I plan on using J-Channel made into a frame - held together with rivets.  Holes drilled every 3" for the lights - that way the wiring is hidden also.

Last year I built one J-Channel frame and decided it was not for me. I angle cut the ends and drilled out the holes and pop rivet them together but I just didn't like the flimsy nature of the material. Best of luck and hope it works for you.

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, »
If you want to use the pvc pipe - you could use a table saw to cut small grooves across the pipe evenly spaced.  The wire would sit in the groove and could be held in place with hot-melt glue and/or cable ties.  If you use a tablesaw - temporarily glue two thin pieces of wood to the ends of your pipe - that will ensure that the pvc doesn't rotate as you cut your grooves.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline Greg

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, »
If you want to use the pvc pipe - you could use a table saw to cut small grooves across the pipe evenly spaced.  The wire would sit in the groove and could be held in place with hot-melt glue and/or cable ties.  If you use a tablesaw - temporarily glue two thin pieces of wood to the ends of your pipe - that will ensure that the pvc doesn't rotate as you cut your grooves.

Rather than using a table saw, I use a hand held 4 1/2" angle grinder to quickly rough up the pvc frame's surface before hot-gluing. Really improves the glue's bond to the pipe then a few cable ties at the frame corners and done.  If bulb orientation is crucial the hot melt works great for securing the bulb in position while not holding it so tightly that taking it loose for repairs is impossible.
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, »
Hi Greg,

I like the idea to rough up the surface. I goal is not to glue the wire or lights in place but to provide a friction surface so they don't move after wire tying them to the pipe.

Thanks

Rick R.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, »
As for attaching frame to the home - there is a product that is made from stainless and it slides up under vinyl siding. It hooks on the inside of the siding and leaves a "hook" resting outside to hang stuff from.  I'm sorry but I don't remember the name of the product.  I found in a local hardware store so I doubt it is hard to find.  It worked very well for me.  I did bend the hook some so the wind wouldn't blow my frames off the house.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, »
why not drill holes through the pipe where you want each node to be?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, »
why not drill holes through the pipe where you want each node to be?

Thou Must NOT drill holes in pvc pipe
(quote from save the pipe association)

Just kidding, drilling pipe is not fun and extra work I am not looking for

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, »
Think outside the box Ricky!  Use Square Pipe!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, »
Think outside the box Ricky!  Use Square Pipe!

RJ

Hmm, this could really work.

Put the pipe in a heated steam box until its soft and then push it though a square opening or dare I said it?? a rectangle opening to reshape the pipe.

AWESOME idea master RJ  <res.

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, »
They make it you can buy it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, »
If you insist on using PVC (wimp) and if you intend on keeping these frames together then why don't you just use white electrical tape.  If you use the good stuff and stretch it properly it will blend in perfectly with the PVC, completely hide the wire, secure the nodes exactly where you want them, and lasts for years.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving