Author Topic: Securing Lights to pvc pipe?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline shaunkad

Re: Securing Lights to pvc pipe?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, »
There are a couple of guys around me who cut a groove with a 1/4 router bit and a drill press with a fence then they shove the light in the groove it is lazer strait. They leave the light in the frams for easy set up they fit 4 strands _f minis in 3/4 pipe

Offline tng5737

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, »
Do you think you can get a photo for us?  Sounds nice!

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, »
I have been thinking about this too and found the following at Home Depot near vinyl siding.  Its a 8' long plastic strip.  I have two thoughts for how to use this.

One, this material fits perfectly over my gutters.  If I can attach the lights to the outside of the strips, they will hang nicely on my gutters.  This will make setup and take down much easier.

The other thought was to drill holes to insert the lights, but this would be very time consuming.

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, »
Rick,

Here is what I am building this year for securing the PVC frames to my windows. I have attached a sketch that I made up for reference (sorry for the crude drawing).
  • Drill 4 quarter inch holes near the corners of the PVC frame
  • Insert 1/4-20 bolts from the center of the window frame through the PVC
  • Insert 1/4-20 nut between PVC frame and window frame
  • Thread the bolt through the PCV, into the nut and finally contact the window frame
Tighten each bolt until they contact the window frame. I am going to use 1/4" vacuum caps to prevent the bolts from marking the siding.
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, »
Hi Tim

Cool idea.

I am confused how it connects to the window frame.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tmtfield

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, »
Rick

I am confused how it connects to the window frame.

It technically does not "connect" to the window frame. It is more of a tension rod principle. Simply tightening the bolts on each side should create a tension fit similar to a shower curtain rod.

Hope that helps
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline tpctech

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, »
I made 4 circuit frames last year with 3/4" PVC.  I used gray electrical conduit (my siding is gray) and black wire ties to attach the lghts.  Mounted a SSR4 in the corner of the frame.  I made 2 clips to hang of the j-channel on top of the window frame. The interesting fact is the 2 windows on one side of my house are not the same size.  A bedroom and a bath room.  I made both frames the same.  My house sits 200 from the road so it looked great from the road in the dark!

My 2 cents

KEN

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, »
Hi Tim

Now I understand what you are doing. Cool idea

Hi Ken

You yard looks great. I have basically done the same as you the past 3 years. I had different strings of mini lights around the window but I had a LE sitting under the windows for the windows and other objects on the house and ground

Many thanks for all of the ideas

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, »
I try to keep my projects from being labor intensive but it was a snap poking holes in my wood frames for my windows.  Might be bit harder on pipe but there's tricks and jigs for that.   Really think it is worth the effort for the accuaracy of spacing and straightness.  Plus the lights will their brightest and are designed to be insert mounted.  Also you will be able to do some wicked light chases that I don't think would work otherwise.  Only have to do it once...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, »
It may not be the most beautiful idea but I just drill a few screws in the pvc and sit the wire on those.  Certainly a lit easier then grinding/drilling, etc.