Author Topic: Rocklin lights 2011 Light show  (Read 3902 times)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Rocklin lights 2011 Light show
« on: December 17, 2011, »
Hello all,

Finally getting around to filming, editing, and posting my display for this year.  We went live on December 3rd with a crowd of 70+ friends and family gathered in front of the house.  The show started on time and ran flawlessly from day one. 

My SS nodes have not enjoyed the rain. We got about a quarter of an inch this week and two more strands are now on the fritz...  That is after splicing 35 nodes from rain we had in November  <fp.

Anyways here are the videos:
THX Robot Intro:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

TSO -- Wizards in Winter

TSO -- Christmas eve Sarajevo

I still have three more videos I want to publish but I still have to finish the editing and uploading.

The star is a coro north star from holiday coro.  It has held up to multiple days of 60+ mph wind gusts.  The lights in it are square nodes.  They are not quite behaving as I intended but it sill looks very good.

Hope you all enjoy!

Merry Christmas!!!

Frank

Offline CW

Re: Rocklin lights 2011 Light show
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, »
Very nice! I like the vertical SS strips.

Craig

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, »
Excellent show.  Very impressive.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, »
Awesome show Frank....

Any chance of describing some of your prop and light details?

Tom

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, »
I was wondering about your details as well frank.  Did you use rigid strips for the vertical sections on the house?

Thanks, it looks great.

Ron

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, »
Awesome show Frank....

Any chance of describing some of your prop and light details?

Tom

Certainly  :)

So my show consists of the following:

10 SS Flex Strips on the vertical stripes.  I built frames out of 1/2" PVC and then hot glued the Flexstrips to the frame.  The frames are then mounted to the eaves with some zipties running through eyelets installed there.

10 120 node SS strings for the Mega tree. Run up and down so the tree it a grid of 20 60 node strings
The Coro north star on the peak is running 80 SS Square nodes.
The roof is run by one LE using DMX out of the Mega Tree hub (universe 8, pixelnet channels 4081-4096)

Icicle lights and side wall are run by a renard64 with dmx firmware. clear icicle lights are incans while the blue are LED.

The yard has two different networks.  One dedicated to LOR controllers and the other dedicated to D-Light controllers.  There are 28 mini trees arranged in a tree (or pyramid) pattern and another 16 2 color mini trees (8 red/green, 8 blue/clear).

7 8 channel arches.

25 snow tubes and 25 strobes are also scattered around the yard.

I build three bTrees (not sure where I got the name.  I got the idea from the z tree designs.  In essence they are 6 foot pvc trees connected to an octagon base) to hide all the gear in the yard.  These are wrapped with 2000 incancs splt between rgb+w.

I have a 2 wide Led Triks panel as well.  I have code that allows me to display twitter messages from my visitors on the board but I have not deployed it for fear of naughty teens.... I think for next year I will change the script so it only accepts re-tweets from my account so that I can verify everythign myself before it gets posted.

phew... I think that is everything  ;D

Oh all the sequencing for the songs I have posted so far was done in LOR.  These are sequences that I have evolved year after year to keep up with the display.  I have another sequence that I plan to film tonight that was done in LSP with the help of sielbear.  Two do this sequence I had to do 4 different LSP sequences, each of 30 seconds.  export them to LOR. Fixup all the newtorks info with python scritps.  convert each to xLights and finally stitch all 4 segments together into a single xLights sequence.  It was a long process but the end result is to me the most impressive sequence I have.  The 4 LOR sequences combined were over 1GB in size and the final xlights sequence is only 20MB!!!!  The LOR XML file is easy to read and process but it is totally inefficient...

Ok now that is everything  8)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, »
Man that is an awesome show.  You did a bunch of planning and many hours of programming and it shows!  Thank you for sharing.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, »
Frank again thanks for the info. Really appreciate your effort!!

Happy Holidays

Tom

Offline meman

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, »
Most impressive! Thanks for sharing the videos and details with us.

Mike E.

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, »
Hey Frank,

Rocklin, CA?  Where's the house at?  I am near Park and Stanford Ranch.  I'd like to cruise by and check the show out.

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, »
I am 2039 Taft dr. Off of Blue oaks.

For anyone who is interested checkout my Facebook page at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, »
So here is the sequence that Sielbear designed and I implemented onto my display.  The LOR file is in excess of 1GB for this sequence.  To me it is the best use of the pixel technolog that I have in my display so far.  Special thanks go out to Alan at Lipton lights for the inspiration and the video file that serves as the bassis for this sequence.  It is in essence an entirely video driven sequence.

Enjoy!

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, »
Here I thought I was the one of the only houses in Rocklin that is a DIY member.  Cant wait to see the house, I think I will have to see it tomorrow night.  I am the house on Onyx drive.

Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, »
Guess what!

He has agreed to do a class at the Academy to teach us all how to do this!  It is an absolutely got to attend class for me I can tell you that. The Academy is going to ROCK! I have got so much talent coming to teach and I am just getting started. With the stuff the LSH guys are doing also it is just going to be crazy all the stuff to learn and see.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, »
Wow. Watching it right now. Great job