Author Topic: Auto-sequencing program  (Read 4234 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Auto-sequencing program
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, »
i was hoping for something that didnt have to sequence. i'd rather map the frequency, then have the lights respond to whatever was playing. voice, radio, tv...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Auto-sequencing program
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, »
The problem with these auto sequencers is that it's hard to get good artistic sequencing out of them ... Easy to get blinking  or even synchronized blinking ... but like fine art ... This process tens to create abstract art, but not much else.

Just my opinion.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, »
i'm just looking for a customizable color organ
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, »
Still sounds like a cool idea.

I've done some development around taking the x-y spatial information from a LOR .lms file (xml) and then turning that into a space where you could easily generate auto-sequencing against using traditional imaging techniques. 

In a way LSP did this already, but I wanted the effects to be more lightshow-centric and less that the transformations I would fine in a video editing pkg, which are not lightshow centric.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rwave

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, »
chrisatpsu,

I too have been looking into doing a color organ as an element for my initial show, where you just hook it up to the audio and away it goes.  I was also thinking of being able to drive it with a SSC, so that during part of the show it runs untethered from the controller and during other parts of the show it is sequenced.

So, how did you want to customize it?

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, »
chrisatpsu,

I too have been looking into doing a color organ as an element for my initial show, where you just hook it up to the audio and away it goes.  I was also thinking of being able to drive it with a SSC, so that during part of the show it runs untethered from the controller and during other parts of the show it is sequenced.

So, how did you want to customize it?

Richard (from SoCal)   :)
I'm curious... are there any midi-to-vixen import tools?  If you made a switch to midi-based music and got for free the mapping of notes to display elements, it would be a fun part of the display.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, »
I understand the desire ... but what it ends up looking like ... is fairly ordinary or random, IMHO.

There could be a useful purpose for doing this, esp. on certain harder to sequence songs.

I mean, if you go to guitar center and go into the room with the sound-activated lights ... they flash and blink to the music ... but I don't consider those to be all that entertaining except in a disco or live-band type setting.

I think LSP has a sonoFx tool which might do something similar to what you are wanting.

LOR has long had MIDI capability ... but I've seen very people that actually use it.  You have to map out each channel to various MIDI channels ... which ends up being a lot of work, almost as bad as sequencing for larger channel counts.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, »
Hey i am ahead of all of you. I started out with a 6 channel color organ: then worked my way up to computer controlled.

Offline Greg

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, »
i'm just looking for a customizable color organ

WinAmp --> Vblink Plugin --> DMXControl.exe --> Dongle --> LE or whatever dmx device.

Check this thread for some discussion: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I agree to a large degree with Taybryn's assertions, but for just some casual party lighting, well, beggars can't be choosers can they?  And it costs nothing to try it.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, »
Doesn't vixen have an "organ" you can map channels to? I've never used it, but it seems like there was something in the add-ins like that.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced