Author Topic: How do I get on the list? Or whatever.  (Read 2303 times)

Offline LondoB5

How do I get on the list? Or whatever.
« on: April 02, 2012, »
OK...I've missed 4 co-ops now.
Every time I look, I'm either a few hours or a day late.
There must be some kind of list or email blast that's going out that I'm not getting or something...b/c I'm starting to get really annoyed.

btw, I have tried the notify thing in the new co-ops page...it doesn't email me.

I don't really give a crap about the co-ops if I can buy the boards and build it myself, but the boards aren't available at the moment, and you don't sell board kits for Aether.

Jussayin...gettin annoyed. I can't be the only one.

Sorry, but there's gotta be a better way to do this.

Offline thestig

Re: How do I get on the list? Or whatever.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, »
I understand you are frustrated but you have to understand that this is a DIY site that tries to meet the needs of its members. It is not a business and doesn't make money like a business. Everyone who wants a product has the same opportunity as everyone else and the system that is in place is here to stay. You need to check the forums more often and figure out why the notify system is not working. It is working fine for me and the rest of the members. 

I feel like everyone gets so angry and complains without realizing that we are lucky to have a place that allows us to build these awesome products at such dirt cheap prices. It's comments like these that make me wonder why RJ continues to do what he does.

Grant

Offline Timon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, »
The one thing I did like about the LOR sale was everyone knew exactly when it was going to start several days in advance and it started at a time that most could be at a computer to get in.

I understand that email notifications are sent but email delivery timing is not controlled. Example, most smartphone settings for mail is set to pull and not push so if you email app is not running you don't get notified until you open it. If your not checking mail every few minutes you could easily miss the window. That's why I've suggested that a Pre-coop notification be posted a day in advance so everyone knows when one is coming. Then the coop manager just has to post at that time. The only difference from what's done now is the one extra post.

Btw, if your smartphone can do MS Exchange mail and your using gmail then set your mail to use exchange. Then your mail will be pushed thus notifitions will be much faster. On iPhones this is the only way you can get pushed mail from gmail. I hope this helps you get quicker notifitions on your smart phones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, »
[/quoThe one thing I did like about the LOR sale was everyone knew exactly when it was going to start several days in advance and it started at a time that most could be at a computer to get in]

I used to be a lor user, and they notified me of their sale, less than 24 hrs in advance. Here is the funny thing though, for example: they had 400 CCR'S available and they sold out in aprox. 2 minutes... And everything else in less than an hour . counted aprox 100 assembled 16 channel contollers Aprox. 15 minutes. Now imagine you camped out at your computer waiting and you still dont get the stuff.

As far as the op The aether coop was open for aprox 2 days I even went in and added to my order. So if people participate on this site there are many opportunities to get in on coops. Some goe fast , and its no different than picking up the sunday paper and seeing something you want on sale at a good price, You go to the store to get it and they are all sold out (sorry no raincheck) and there was no advanced warning.

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, »
I haven't gotten an email on any of the coops since I joined either. Checked my online and outlook spam folders too... Is there a way for me to test that system myself? Or is there a way for a mod to verify that one was sent?

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry, but there's gotta be a better way to do this.
Sorry, but there's not.
This topic gets brought up over and over and over and...
Patience is all there is. Hang in there, the purchasing season is not over.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

sjb

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, »
I also have not rec'd the notifications. After the Aether COOP started I logged out and then logged in, I sent an email to myself in the system and rec'd it. So do not know why the notification did not come through as there are no spam alerts.

I know the frustration, but can only say that IMHO the aether COOP had a lot of advance notice of starting as there was plenty of comments from COOP managers stating to be ready and even RJ stated that we would be surprised about the price. So people should have been ready for it at a moments notice.

As mentioned before there are no easy solutions and with the growth of the member list the easy answer is log in at least 3 or 4 times a day.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, »
for a "small fee"  I can alert you.  LOL   <fp.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, »
To get notifications, click on the Current Coops link from the main page. At the top or bottom of the page, click on the Notify button (Make sure that you are on the Current Coops page with all the coops listed). Any time a new coop is posted, you should receive an email.

To see what notifications you are setup to receive, click on Profile at the top of the page. Click Notifications and Email on the left menu. At the bottom of the page under Current Board Notifications, it should show Current Coops.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, »
the best advise i can give is...

if you don't mind to wait for a pcb in the store, then wait till coops finish so the boards show up.

if you really want to get in on a coop, then you gotta pay attention.  at least log on once a day. you might as well participate in the discussions while you're on. For example, i try to log on when i can, because sometime in the future there will be a smart string coop. it might be a couple days, or weeks, or even a couple months. but it's something i want in on, so i just gotta keep checking.

as a side note for those that can't get in on a express coop.  there seems to have been one each month, and i have no idea if there will be another one for April, but fyi, it's now another month.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, »
for people that have been on for awhile, it's inevitable that this topic will keep coming up. There's waves of new people that don't kow yet. I'm not saying that the OP is new (he's been here longer than me.) but that it will keep coming up and we just accept it and not get frustrated.

For the new guys, this is a topic that keeps coming up, and you might get more insight if you look at some of the past posts regarding this. you will find other comments that help explain more info to you.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, »
I'm a newbie to this forum within the last six months. There have been 3 LE coops and I have been able to get into all three (I passed on the second coop). The third coop I pulled off the road and on my phone jumped in (last one in). When they changed the server I had problems receiving notifications. I changed my email to a hotmail account and then forward the hotmail account to my regular email. To make sure that it was working I activated the notification in the new member forum. That told me in a hurry that the notification was working.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, »
I've been a member for several years. I have never seen so many coops. This is a great thing and new coop managers are popping up left and right. Hang in there and you will get in. As the year goes on there will be less and less interest and the coops will be open more than 2 hours. Until you run a coop you will never be able to imagine the work that goes into them or the work and money RJ spends to get you all working and he ask nothing in return yet look at the comments that get made. Hang in there. There should be more coops and the store should be getting boards soon I would imagine. Honestly right now the bottleneck is suppliers of parts like the green LEDs they just cant keep up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, »
Comments:

(1) Unfortunately, as others have said, there is NOT a better way ... trust that all options have been explored and still are ... lets really refrain from complaining about this situation ... there are an insane number of threads on this ... and its been over discussed times ten.  While we all understand your frustrations ... discussing it with every single COOP isn't productive or helpful. 

(2) Great advise, get an email address dedicated just for this ... I use a free yahoo email and I've been getting the reminders just fine.  Yahoo email + iphone (or smart phone w email) = instant notification as far as I'm concerned.  I'm sure other emails would work just as well.

(3) under the COOP thread email reminders, check the advanced settings because its possible to not be notified under certain situations, so I enabled everything and its been rock solid ever since.  Some setting might suppress the notifications under various situations.

(4) If you cannot get notified in time, find a local member who can call you or email you ... or become better friends with the very active members who can help you out.  Just like finding a job, do some networking and its always a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, »
Maybe this is an option, that the coop manager post the information and state that the coop will open on a specific date and time. and then lock the thread then at that data and time unlock the thread. I'm sure this could even be an automated process where the coop manager create the initial thread and then that gets posted at a given time. Even a section on upcomming coop's and expected date would be useful.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos