Author Topic: How do I get on the list? Or whatever.  (Read 2304 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: How do I get on the list? Or whatever.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, »
I would be willing to help automate this process in any way I can.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
How do I get on the list? Or whatever.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, »
Coops will not be scheduled and advanced notice given. The reason is really very simple. RJ wants the most active people on the boards to get in on the coops first. Not the people that only join DLA to get in on the coops. This really makes perfect sense. Just do what has been recommended and set up notifications on the coop board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, by fertsy »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, »
Advanced notice may do little to solve the problem. 

The recent AetherII coop was over after 24 hours...  if you didn't hear of the coop notice, why would a pre-announcement be any better?

I suggest that you first solve the problems with the existing tools.

If your email is blocking the messages, then work to allow them through.
If you still have problems, use another email address -- maybe your existing setup can pull email from that new account.
Make sure that you are registered for all messages on the coop section... once a coop starts you should be bombarded with messages about new requests for the kits.
If possible, implement an email rule to send a text message to your phone when a coop message is sent out.
But the biggest way to address the problem is connect into the site daily (I'd recommend 3x daily) and look for messages in the forum.  Do it until you get all the kits you plan to build.

Other options:
Listen for the Want-to-Sell section in much the same way as the coop section.
Put in a request on the Want-to-Buy section.
Keep monitoring the store for boards... they should appear sometime.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, »
being on is the best way...  i happened to look at the current coops section of the main page and saw that it was 8 instead of 7.  i was able to get in, change my order, and notify another member that it was going on. all before i received my notification.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, »
OK...I've missed 4 co-ops now.
Every time I look, I'm either a few hours or a day late.
There must be some kind of list or email blast that's going out that I'm not getting or something...b/c I'm starting to get really annoyed.

btw, I have tried the notify thing in the new co-ops page...it doesn't email me.

I don't really give a crap about the co-ops if I can buy the boards and build it myself, but the boards aren't available at the moment, and you don't sell board kits for Aether.

Jussayin...gettin annoyed. I can't be the only one.

Sorry, but there's gotta be a better way to do this.

Londo, there is not a better way.  This organization (DLA) is a not-for-profit, volunteer organization.  Many ways have been tried in the past with varying degrees of success (and non-success).  The current way is the best way for the maximum fairness without putting undue burden on the COOP managers (trust me, they have enough to worry about!)

This issue seems to come up with every COOP and with just about every batch of new folks coming into DLA.  If you want to improve things, then I suggest you try your hand at COOP manager when you are eligible.  Then you will have unique insight into what is involved, how things work, and the amount of effort the seemingly small things truly take.  I am not complaining about your annoyance, I completely understand the feelings, I just think you should take a shot at it yourself before you are so quick to judge how things are done.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, »
I'm pretty sure that idea has been discussed ... but then you get into servers crashing and other issues ... I think.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Pete

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, »
Yes -  the best advice is log on everyday at least 3 times a day and at various time throughout the day.

I have followed this method since joining and have missed very few opportunities to get in coops.

Pete

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, »
The recent AetherII coop was over after 24 hours...

Steve it started the 29th and was over the 31st, The time are not shown but I would say more like 2 day.

Anyways, it there were a list of upcomming coop's maybe there might not any COMPLAINERS.

I'm not a coop manager and would not mind helping out but because I live in Texas I think mouser would and that stupid 8.375% sales.

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO RJ, COOP MANAGERS, AND EVEYONE ELSE WHO HAS HELP ME MAKE MY DISPLAY WHAT IT IS TODAY!
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline tbone321

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, »
That's not going to end complaints becase if 300 are desired and the limit is 100 then people are still not going to get what they want and the coops will close in minutes or possibly even seconds.  Imagine how mad people will get if they are stuck to te PC most of the day waiting for the coop and in the 5 minutes that they step away to do something, the coop fills up from the other 100 membrs waiting and they still miss out. 

I thinnk that the moderators should lock this thread and it be done.  Perhaps the full rules and methods andthe fact that there are no plans to change them need to be posted in a sticky in the coops section and if someone complains, have a moderator PM them a link to that post and simply delete the complaint.  This way members can have a way to vent and the forum isn't overloaded with old complaint posts that say the same things over and over.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline alwomack

• Al Womack
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, »
This how I see it. I am a DIY'er. Half the fun is finding the stuff to make the stuff. When I first joined DLA, I read every thread I could read, getting a complete understanding what all this DLA was about. I never knew this kind of community existed, never heard of a co-op before( I had to Google it.) I quickly came to realize the DLA was the coolest thing since sliced bread and respect for other members was paramount.  Needless to say, I was hooked.

At times, it makes me feel uncomfortable with comments from some of our members that have the misconception DLA is replacement for a retail store. If you need it that bad, go buy it somewhere.  RJ and the Co-op managers should not even hear one complaint from the community with regards the way co-op are being run currently as this topic has been covered over and over again. We have a good (great) thing here at DLA; my biggest fear is having RJ and gang letting the responses of the few affect the future of this site.

-Al
....in a world of Pure imagination.