Author Topic: Dumb string color codes  (Read 795 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Dumb string color codes
« on: October 01, 2012, »
On the dumb strings that I purchased from Ray the wire is colored Red, Yellow, Green, Blue.  I still have not figured out what color does what, but that is a different issue.  On the 4 wire connectors that I also purchased from Ray the colors are brown, blue, green and black.  Is there a standard that we should be using for connecting these to the strings and to the DSCs.  I have a nice chart for the 3 wire connectors for smart strings, but no clue as to how to connect these up.  Now that I have my DSCs in house I need to start building and can use some guidance here.  Thanks for your thoughts.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Dumb string color codes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, »
the dumb strings "should be"...

red          RED -
green        GREEN -
blue         BLUE -
yellow       COMMON +

for the 4 wire connectors, i'm just using...
brown        RED -   
green        GREEN -
blue         BLUE -
black        COMMON +

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mokeefe

Re: Dumb string color codes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, »
If you didn't have the 4 pin connectors from Ray, you would wire the DSC directly to the dumb string with the colors that Chris indicated.  The 4 pin connectors provide a method of easily connecting and disconnecting the strings from the DSC. Since it is unlikely you will be exchanging your DSC or dumb strings with another user you can pick whatever order you want to use on the connectors.  Just make sure you match colors on both sides of the connectors. Again, the option Chris mentioned is fine, but any order is OK.  The one thing I would suggest is that you put the female side of the 4 pin connector on the DSC side and the male side on the string.  It's generally a good idea to use female connectors on the side of something that provides the power and the male on the side that receives it. This give you a bit of extra safety and helps prevent shorts by accidentally touching the male pins together.

-Mike