Author Topic: How many channels does a SSC have?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

How many channels does a SSC have?
« on: August 04, 2012, »
128 times 3. 384?
Trying to figure out how many SSC you can have on a DMX dongle.

Thanks

Mort
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: How many channels does a SSC have?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, »
You cannot put any SSCs on a DMX dongle since they only run pixelnet.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, »
True, make sure you talking only about a DMX dongle which has bee re-flashed to use pixelnet firmware instead of the standard DMX firmware.

So assuming your talking about a DMX Dongle flashed with pixelnet firmware --

You can have 'up to' 129 * 3 channels on a SSC, since in hybrid mode the first 3 channels control the entire string (string mode) and the other 128*3 channels control each light/node (3 each).  You can also have as little as 3 channels on a SSC if you wanted simple string control only (more like a DSC).

It depends how you flash the SSC and the options selected when flashed using the SSC utility. 

As far as a DMX dongle goes, in order to control smart strings ... you flash it with pixelnet firmware (not the standard dmx firmware) and that allows up to 1 pixelnet universe, or 4096 channels of pixelnet.   

I ran 13 SSC(s) in 2011 and had 272 Lynx&LOR channels (via. DMX out on SS HUB) and maybe 100 DMX channels (also via. DMX out on SS HUB) ... and did it all on a single DMX dongle (flashed with pixelnet) and 1 pixelnet universe.

I found that my LOR controllers worked much faster via. DMX than when using LOR ... esp. when you get to 200+ channels on a LOR network, the LOR protocol bogs down (lags) whereas pixelnet/DMX is much faster.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, »
128 times 3. 384?
Trying to figure out how many SSC you can have on a DMX dongle.

Thanks

Mort

The easy answer is if the USB dongle is flashed with DMX then it would be 0 since SSC's are PixelNet devices.  If you reflash the dongle to Pixelnet, then you have a full Pixelnet universe available to you.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, »
So let me see if I have this right.

If I use a DMX dongle with 4 SSC.

I have 384 channels for each SSC. Using 4 SSC that would be 1536 channels total.

The SSC uses use a PixelNet software or (firmware) in DLA language.

So I have to take my DMX dongle and reprogram or (reflash) DMX dongle to pixelnet firmware.

This will give my DMX dongle 4096 channels then I can use my 4 SSC strings with channels to spare.

But if I wish to use a lynx express or any other unit at the same time I would have to use the 16 line active hub.

Is that right?

Mort
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, by sittinguphigh »

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, »
Yes and depending on pin placement for DMX universe on the Active hub the pixelnet channels can mirror what the DMX channels are doing for that pin placement. Here is a link to the channel chart: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, »
I think we need to get away from using the terms dmx dongle or pixelnet dongle when posting.  There is a USB dongle and an ethernet dongle.  Both dongles can be flashed to use either DMX or Pixelnet.  To use DMX with smart strings it is necessary to use an active hub (which requires a dongle flashed with pixelnet) which has the capability of translating 512 channels of pixelnet to use the DMX protocol and the 512 addresses can be set to any of 8 different address ranges.  Those 512 addresses are also duplicated in the pixelnet addressing so signals sent to one of the 512 DMX addresses are also sent to the corresponding Pixelnet addresses.  IMHO this whole topic can get long and confusing until you actually start programming a sequence and then the light will turn on.  Maybe I am just totally confused, but at least I had my 2011 show running with both DMX and pixelnet.  Boy this stuff is addictive, but fun.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, »
Ok I using 2 to 4 SSC only.

I need a pixelnet programed (flashed) dongle. Ether DMX dongle or ethernet dongle.

If I use the conductor I need the ethernet dongle. If not a DMX dongle will do.

I need a passive 4 hub to use 4 RPG smart strings. Only if that's all I'm using.

Is that right?

Mort

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, »
ok, using your setup...
2-4 Smart String Controllers. (SSC)

if you have a relatively short cable run, you can use a 4 port passiv hub with the USB Dongle. (as long as it has the pixelnet firmware)

i wouldn't reccomend a 4 port passive hub with a EtherDongle, as it limits you in what you can use from it.
using an EtherDongle, you'd need to use a 16port Hub (Active or passive)

yes, there are ways to use one, but then you really aren't using the equipment as it was designed.

most flexibility, I'd reccomend using the 16port active hub, so you can always add dmx devices to your setup, and wouldn't have to worry about buying more things later, when you could have done it now.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, »
I can see your point. Each year I want to do some thing different. If a 16 port hub comes up again I will pick one up.

But I thought a passive port limits you also? Which one should I get?

On a horse I'm limited on space. So I have to be more creative both on hardware and software.

I found some lithium batteries that were not to pricey and small enough. Add up 15 to 45 amps 12volts. Should be enough.

I have amp and speakers to find room for.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, by sittinguphigh »

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, »
I think we need to get away from using the terms dmx dongle or pixelnet dongle when posting.  There is a USB dongle and an ethernet dongle.  Both dongles can be flashed to use either DMX or Pixelnet.  To use DMX with smart strings it is necessary to use an active hub (which requires a dongle flashed with pixelnet) which has the capability of translating 512 channels of pixelnet to use the DMX protocol and the 512 addresses can be set to any of 8 different address ranges.  Those 512 addresses are also duplicated in the pixelnet addressing so signals sent to one of the 512 DMX addresses are also sent to the corresponding Pixelnet addresses.  IMHO this whole topic can get long and confusing until you actually start programming a sequence and then the light will turn on.  Maybe I am just totally confused, but at least I had my 2011 show running with both DMX and pixelnet.  Boy this stuff is addictive, but fun.

+1

Great explanation and to the point Jim.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, »
ok, on a horse...  didn't know that before.

after the conductor comes out, i'd definately reccomend that. as you might be able to run that without needing a computer attached.

Also with being on a horse, I'm guessing you're riding the horse as well as carrying the equipment, possibly on the saddle?

Using that as a reference, you should be able to get away with a 4 port passive hub plus your strings.

that would limit your power demands to the etherdongle/conductor unit and the hub.

you most likely wont need 4 full strings of 128 nodes, so the fewer nodes you can get away with, the lower the power demands on your setup.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, »
Whoa!!!! He's decorating his HORSE!!!!!!!!!!   :o  :o :o <res.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, »
Yes he is!  Check out his avatar to see what he has done in the past. Can't what to see what he does with smart strings.  <pop..
Jeff Squires

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, »
I just hope that the rgb lights won't be too bright for the horse(s) and for the people watching the parade going by.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required