Author Topic: Help with my LOR  (Read 8535 times)

Offline clever1525

Help with my LOR
« on: March 09, 2012, »
I need help. I have purchased the 16 channel LOR controller and a RS485 adapter. I have downloaded Vixen and nothing is working. I am really new at this and all of the forums are confusing because everyone is talking about multiple controllers. I just want to SE a stran of light turn on controlled by the computer.

Anyone willing to help this noob?

Offline mmais68569

Re: Help with my LOR
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, »
The first thing you need to do with LOR or any other controller is set the start address, or with LOR they call it the Unit ID.

Then the RS485 adapter you bought will not work using DMX without a converter from LOR OR buy & build a dongle & use a crossover Cat 5 cable.

My suggestion to keep from getting you more confused is purchase the LOR program & use it. After a year or so you will understand what you need to do to use LOR with the Lynx controllers. I know I started with LOR & then relized I could buy 3 Express or 48Ch for the price of 1 LOR controller. LOR sequence program will work with other controllers now.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, by mmais68569 »

Offline clever1525

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, »
Like I said I'm a noob. How do I set the start address?

So far I have installed the driver for the Rs485 and when I insert the USB the computer recognizes it, but doesn't install anything.

sjb

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, »
Have you assigned the proper output plugin in Vixen with the com port and channels?

Steve (from Edmonton)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, »
The ID is set using the LOR Hardware utility.  You should be able to download the LOR software,install , and run in demo mode and use the hardware utility. There are some good videos below that should help.  I like to "see it done" instead of having to read.

To work with LOR hardware I think you need the LRO software installed.  At least the hardware utility.  After that you can use whatever software you like, LOR S3, Viven, LSP or whatever.

I'm use the LOR software with both Lynx Controller and LOR controllers.  This will be a big switch for me in hardware but I will stick with LOR software.

How to set Unit ID.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Another good video

Some LOR videos

Offline clever1525

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, »
What kind of dongle should I use?

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, »
In order to change the ID on a LOR controller that does not have dials like the CTB16PC model you will need the LOR USB dongle.  I use the USB485B model.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, »
I would download the LOR software and use it instead of Vixen at first.  From my experience, it's more user friendly when you are first starting out.  Once you get an understanding of how things work then I would expand into other areas.

There are a number of us LOR users here that have both LOR and Lynx but you will have much more luck finding LOR help on the LOR forum.

It might help if you would post what your plans are for a setup if you know.  From here most of us can point you down the road that we have probably already traveled and save you some time and money.

Offline clever1525

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, »
Ok,

I broke down and purchased the software. I ran the utility and it tested successful. Now I am trying to get the sequence to play and I am not having any luck.
This is what I have done so far:
I created a sequence, I created a show, and I created a schedule. When I click enable schedule on the control panel it plays the sequence, but the lights do not react.
What in the world am I not doing?

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, »
Did you set the channels in the sequence to the same as the controller number.  Also test the sequence in the sequence editor before gring to setup a show.  Also make sure the clntrll lights is enabled in the sequence editor.

Offline clever1525

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, »
For some reason the light don't operate in the sequence editor. I changed the channel configuration to match the unit ID number. And If I try to open the utility it says the lights are being used by another program. So far the only place I've been able to turn the lights on is in utility.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, »
Only the sequence editor or the hardware utility can be open at the same time.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, »
When you play in the sequence editor make sure the control lights is checked on the play menu.  Other than that you should get something if the sequence has activities in it.

Offline clever1525

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, »
The control lights is checked in the Play menu and I have the channels set to the connected controller. I've even tried the demo sequences and it's just not controlling the lights.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, »
Did you setup the license for the software?  I'm not sure what else to check if the hardware utility works.

"This download is the complete ShowTime Software Suite. It will run with or without a License Key.  If you do not have a License Key the software will operate in Demo Mode. In Demo Mode,  you have the features of the Basic License  with one exception: you will not be able to actually control lights."