Author Topic: PVC Medium Tree  (Read 901 times)

Offline CB

PVC Medium Tree
« on: April 06, 2011, »
I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of the medium trees I made.  I used the idea from both “lineman” and “inzeos” and then decided to make the tree 7' tall in lieu of a mini tree.  I have put lights on these tree frames now using a spiraling method for placement thus making them spiral trees.  Then I decided to add some elements to the tree to make it possible for me to tear them down a little bit in lieu of storing the 48" diameter 7' tall trees "as is".

Bill of Materials
16 - 40" pieces of 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC
16 – 12” pieces of 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC
16 – 3 ½” pieces of 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC
16 - 45degree 3/4" PVC elbows
  8 - 3/4" PVC Tees
  8 - 3/4" PVC Crosses (intersects)
  1 - 4" PVC Cap
  1 - 5"x1/2" carriage bolt
  3 - 1/2" washers
  2 - 1/2" nut2
  1 - tennis ball
16 - hooks

Step 1 – Start by making the base using the 12” PVC pieces, 8 of the 45 degree elbows and 8 tees.  Test fit them together then lay them on the ground making sure you have an even octagon.
Step 2 – insert one 40” pipe in each Tee, then assemble the middle ring using crosses, elbows and 3 ½” pipe to form yet another octagon.
Step 3 – Place screws through cap evenly spaced along the octagon intersect lines (close will work fine).  Then slide the cap onto the top carefully placing each ¾” pipe in order and the screw inside the pipe.
Step 4 – Drill a ½” hole in the center of the PVC Cap, and the tennis ball.  Then place one nut on the carriage bolt leaving about 2” to the bolt head, follow with a washer, then place tennis ball on bolt, followed by washer.  Place bolt and ball assembly through ½” hole in cap with tennis ball acting as a compressor for the ¾” pipes around the inside perimeter of the PVC cap.
Step 5 – Place final washer and nut on top of PVC cap.  Tighten as you need to for snugness.  This will give you a tight fit, yet be able to be torn down.
Step 6 – Prime and glue only the 3 ½” and 12” pieces of pipe to their fittings, leaving all of the connections to the 40” materials loose.
Step 7 – drill pilot holes and place all of the screw in hooks.
Step 8 – paint PVC assembly, I recommend the Krylon plastic paint, it worked great and has a nice flat black with a good tooth to the plastic.

By adding the bolt at the top I gave myself a place to mount a star or tree topper.  By not gluing the 40” legs you can use those to tear the tree down into sections for seasonal storage.

Enjoy,
CB

Offline SteveMaris

Re: PVC Medium Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, »
Nicely done 8)
Now put lights on it, and post a video so I can stare at it for a half hour.. ;D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, »
That is one GREAT lookin tree , you should feel very proud of it GREAT DIYer
Jeff

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, »
looks great..
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline craig d

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, »
Nice Job! (don't show my GF I've got enough to do already).

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, »
Nice Work

Offline inzeos

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, »
Looks good to me!