Author Topic: hub fuses  (Read 3852 times)

Offline therealbigjim

hub fuses
« on: December 09, 2011, »
I saw a SanDevices hub for RBG control and it had common car style fuses. Is there a reason ( I know there is) but it would be much easer then the tiny green fuses that are there now.     
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fslopez1950

Re: hub fuses
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, »
Also have seen the Sandevices RGB controller, I think the first reason for using the little fuse in the hub is to save space. When you deal with DC voltages, you really have to be careful about the polarity of the connectors and wires. You have to double check your connections before applying any voltages.

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, »
The thing is, theoretically speaking, you should almost never need to replace a fuse in the hub. The fuses protect you against user errors and the very rare issue with a string. They are also really cheap and don't take up much space. Adding a socket for just about any type of fuse is going to add to the board real estate and significantly increase the cost as 16 are required...

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, »
I started putting the fuses on the back of my 2nd hub, if need replacing - much easier to get to vs next to the cat5 connector....

Myk

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, »
Just wait till your cables get wet and within hours crosion starts (the dongles are not water tight) and then SHORTs occur and BAM fuses start to blow. Theory is great until reality sets in.

Solution, grab some press n sean and wrap all connections! Not an absolute gurantee but adds another layer of protection.

The thing is, theoretically speaking, you should almost never need to replace a fuse in the hub. The fuses protect you against user errors and the very rare issue with a string. They are also really cheap and don't take up much space. Adding a socket for just about any type of fuse is going to add to the board real estate and significantly increase the cost as 16 are required...

RM

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, »
I started putting the fuses on the back of my 2nd hub, if need replacing - much easier to get to vs next to the cat5 connector....

Myk

I would think it would be harder to solder them back in if you had to replace one and put the soldering iron between the cat5 connectors.

I like the idea of the auto fuse holder though, wouldn't think they would add that much space wise to the board, although looking at mouser, could add to the price quite a bit, since you need 16 of them.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, »
I have replaced several fuses.  Was not a problem at all although some long needle nose pliers help to remove and replace the fuse between the cat 5 connectors.  Once again I am thankful that I have the Radio Shack desoldering tool. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, »
Solution, grab some press n sean and wrap all connections! Not an absolute gurantee but adds another layer of protection.

What is press n seam?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, »

What is press n seam?

My guess was press n seal plastic wrap

eh

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, »
Never heard of it. It sounds worth checking into from the revies on Amazon. I will by a box to try and see ifit looks like a better solution than plasti-dip for me for next year.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, »

What is press n seam?

Sorry, My fat fingers.

Yes, I meant Press n Seal

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, »
Now that my display is down, I am going to replace all of the fuses in my hub (9 of 16 are fried). I looked at auto fuses first, but then I thought resettable fuses might be even better. I was going to use this device:

...which is available from Mouser for just 2 cents more than the fuse specified in the Wiki.

Can anyone foresee any problems with using this part?

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline sielbear

hub fuses
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, »
I'm interested to see how this develops... I didn't have any fuses blown, but I know many did. A resettable fuse would be a slick enhancement...

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, »
Was not aware something like this existed, looks like a great idea.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline rimist

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, »
How do you reset those fuses?

-Rimist
- Rimist