Author Topic: Seal Your Nodes!!  (Read 4179 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
Re: Seal Your Nodes!!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, »
Hi All

A little update.
I decided to take 4 of my bad nodes apart to see whats going on.
It appears to me that the LED leads are rusting, specifically the cut end.
1 led i cracked the actual led and red doesn't work.
1 i took completely apart and cleaned with alcohol and it now works fine.
2 I removed as little as possible just near the LED leads, and cleaned with alcohol. They now work fine.

Looking at these things, I personally am starting to think moisture is getting in from the LED side more than the wire side. It just looks like water has much farther to go from the wire side, but I could be wrong.

Wanted to let people know this, because I am sure there was someone out there thinking about just sealing the wire side. (I initially thought that.) From what I see, that would possibly still allow moisture in the led side.

On another note, if you can just cut the material away from the led cut ends with a sharp razor, clean with alcohol and cover with un-thinned plasti dip. This process may actually be a bit faster than splicing the wires.

Unfortunately with my strings, even if I seal them, i am worried they will continue to rust and eventually i will have more nodes failing. Do they make LEDs with leads that won't rust??
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, »
Pics
Boucher Family Lights

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, »
Anybody with the new strands see anything differnent on the LED side to make a better seal?
Boucher Family Lights

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, »
Thanks for the pictures. I had not bothered to do that. Very interesting.
Jim
Jim Wright

Offline c56

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, »
Looking at the photos you provided, it looks like the culprit could be flux residue. These residues, in the presence of moisture, can cause conductive paths to the point of creating a short. This could explain why cleaning with alcohol restored operation, since this will remove many types of flux. It is possible there is enough moisture coming in from the wire end to cause this kind of problem, although there is no way to know for sure. If this is the case, it is a manufacturing defect just as surely as not sealing the node is.

Skip

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, »
Looking at the photos you provided, it looks like the culprit could be flux residue. These residues, in the presence of moisture, can cause conductive paths to the point of creating a short. This could explain why cleaning with alcohol restored operation, since this will remove many types of flux. It is possible there is enough moisture coming in from the wire end to cause this kind of problem, although there is no way to know for sure. If this is the case, it is a manufacturing defect just as surely as not sealing the node is.

Skip

I have always assumed it was flux because the water itself really should take a long time to cause permant issues like we get in some nodes. Rust on the traces and leads should not cause it to not work. I have been tempted to cut a couple totally open and flush one with alcohol and not the other and expose the open pcb to the weather to see the effects on operation. Would be an interesting experiment.

RJ

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline richardb

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, »
I have the new LEDs, and am still a little worried that I should still go ahead and seal them.  Can't be too safe... considering the investment.  has anyone actually tested the new notes for their water tightness?

Richard

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, »
I am going to run a test hopefully Sunday.

I have some pixels that may have a color out but still kind of function. I will place one in a cup of water and see how long it will function. Since my pixels are mounted on para cord for stress relief I will put no stress on the wires for this test. These were purchased about six weeks ago so they are from a newer production run.

I'll post the results.

Offline richardb

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, »
I anxiously sit biting my fingernails awaiting your results.....

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, »
Pixel has been soaking for about 4 hours now and is still working. The wires have not been stressed because mine will not be stressed. Looking great to me.

Offline richardb

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, »
That is wonderful...
I will not seal the nodes that will make up my mega tree, as they too shouldn't be stressed as they will be attached to mono filament which will take the brunt of the stress away from them....

Thanks for the test

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, »
RichardD: What is the brand name or part number of the mono-filiment that you are using for your mega tree? I am really trying to come up with a good strong but light weight solution to this requirement. Jim W
Jim Wright

Offline Rbar

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, »
I appreciate the posts on sealing nodes, dehumidifying nodes, etc.
Am I correct in thinking that the Flexible strip nodes are water proof as manufactured as claimed in the product description?
"4m waterproof LED digital strip by tube (DC12V input),without controller,10pcs TM1809IC/m,30pcs 5050 RGB LED/m;DC12V input"

I am going to wait until next year for smart strings but I have angreat use for the flex strips.
Rbar

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, »
Are you guy that are using plastidip using the UV resistant version? I would hate for the nodes to start to yellow or the protection start to deteriorate and peel off after a few seasons.  However it looks like the UV version only comes in gallon or larger sizes which is a little bit more cash for something you are going to use only a few cups of. $10 vs $60 plus thinner.  I'm sure this stuff will have a self life too correct?

Offline sielbear

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, »
I noticed the same thing - the UV version seems to only be available in 1 gallon sized containers...