Author Topic: SString window frames?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline mitch09

SString window frames?
« on: September 25, 2011, »
Is anyone using smart strings for their window frames? If so, what type are you using? String, rigid, or flex? I would love to use the flex strips but I'm not sure how to navigate the 90 degree corners. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: SString window frames?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, »
Hi Ryan

I am using string nodes attached to 3/4" white ssh 40 pvc pipe. Using white tape to secure the lights to the pipe

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mitch09

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, »
Rick,
Are you going to tape each light down so that it lays flat keepIng them all in line? I assume you are going to attach the PVC with some kind of clip?

Ryan

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, »
Yes, I have tape wrapping around the pipe and wire between each node. Keeps the lights in place and pretty much where I want them.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, »
I used 1/2 pvc pipe with SS strings.  I secured the string to the frame with tie wraps and then hot melt glue to keep the nodes in place.   The frame is 6' X 6' with a vertical bar going down the center.  at the bottomes of each corner I have bolts for adjusting to the actual window width.   I will secure it in place  down the vertical center with cable ties and anchor squares attached to the center of the windows frame with self-adhesive.

Offline Timon

SString window frames?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, »
Will any of the Colonnade Clips fit these strings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mitch09

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, »
I would also love to know if these fit in the colonnade strips.

Offline sielbear

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, »
I thought I would chime in... I have lit my windows from the inside the last couple of years. I cut white peg board the size of my window frames. I then spent many hours with hot glue securing incandescent mini bulbs into the pre-drilled holes. That was great for the older lights - I have 15 windows...

With the smart string lights, it was simply too expensive to use smart string lights for 15 windows. I seriously considered it, but I just couldn't justify the cost. (The nodes do fit in the peg board if you drill out the holes to 1/2".)

I dcided i would turn my windows into low-resolution matrixes.  I'm using 1 rectangular node per window frame. My windows now range from 5 to 15 nodes per window.  What I did this year was pull out my old mini lights and add a 4" spacer to the perimeter of the peg board.  The spacer is a plastic gutter guard type device sold at lowes. (they come in 3' sections.) I zip tied the gutter guard things around the peg board which gave me a little space between the peg board and the glass. Lastly, I will add a white shower curtain as a screen for a diffuser.

Not perfect, but I generally like the results - and much cheaper than spart strings around the perimeter - and seems to put out light from the whole window instead od just the perimeter.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, »
I would love to see some pics once you get it all assembled. Both lit and non lit.

Ryan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, »
I don't think the flex strip would be ideal.  I think the modules or nodes makes the most sense.  The modules are even easier to mount and might get you a little more directional light facing out from the house.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]