Author Topic: Using 2.5” gray electrical PVC pipe  (Read 2397 times)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Using 2.5” gray electrical PVC pipe
« on: October 20, 2011, »
Using 2.5” gray electrical PVC pipe:

Picture 1 – Finished assembly
After doinking with Plasti-Dip trying to seal the nodes and determined to set the nodes in a reasonably straight line, my decision was to cut gray PVC pipe in half, drill 15/32 inch holes with a uni-bit on three (3) inch centers – not 3.5” spacing, slobber Plasti-Dip on both the LED side of the node and the wire entry side and call ‘er done.

Picture 2 – Modified jig saw
We used a “finish cut” saw blade (i.e. the teeth point down or away from the saw instead of the typical “up” teeth to push the cuttings inside the pipe.)   The blades were too short to cut both halves of the pipe at once and too long to keep from banging away at the other side, I raised the saw deck by screwing on a piece of scrap.
The cutting jig is made from two 2x4’s screwed to a 2x8 base with the 2x4’s set apart a tad over the diameter of the PVC pipe. 

Picture 3 – Chalk line ready to tighten and pluck

Picture 4 – Cutting the pipe
Since the first cut down the pipe tends to bind the saw blade, (the pipe tends to collapse upon itself) surplus angle brackets and a screwdriver separated the pipe.

Picture 5 – Plastic Paint application, turning gray to white.
The fellow in the Air Force shirt is my U.S. Marine son.  (Note: the wind was gusting to 25mph that day but it was too beautiful outdoors to be working indoors!)

Picture 6 – Gooing on Plasti-Dip
After cutting a half-inch hole in the lid of a butter bowl and sealing the LED side of the nodes, we flipped over the assembly and my son is gooing the backside of the nodes.  He also slobbered Plasti-Dip between the nodes and the PVC pipe making a permanent bond – the nodes will forever be attached to the pipe.   Use silicon if you intend to use the nodes elsewhere in the future.

We’ll attach angle brackets to the half-pipes and screw the half-pipes to the windows, roof fascia and the gutters.  The SSC controllers are mounted to the half-pipes with angle brackets, painted and hide perfectly.  Sections over 115 inches (the length of the ten-foot pipe with the bell chopped off) were spliced with a piece of metal bracket bent over the diameter of metal gas pipe and fitted to the inside of the PVC pipe, screwed together with stainless screws and stainless nylon lock nuts.  The screw heads, barely visible, were painted anyway.

Elapsed time to build the jigs, cut eight PVC pipes, drill, paint, stuff nodes and apply goo was around twelve hours.  That’s eleven elapsed hours of my son working his buttocks off and one elapsed hour of (me) dragging around my handicapped butt trying to keep up. 

:) joe

"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: Using 2.5” gray electrical PVC pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, »
One more picture

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, »
GReat work ... looking good !!!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, »
I like your solution for cutting a straight line in the PVC.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, »
Yes I love your jig setup for cutting the pvc.  Especially the block on the bottom of the saw.  You can tell this man is a thinker!

Great job!

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, »
when I first saw this I thought "how cool!"

then I tried to relate it back to my needs.  I have a LOR CCR ribbon and my problem with it is that its field of view is limited.  No view from behind, and let's say 120 degrees from the street.

I am adding Ray's smart pixel string because I wanted to see the lights from a larger range.  If I use pvc on my mega tree, I wouldn't see the lights coming from the back of the tree .  For a spiral tree effect that would be a loss.  For other effects, maybe not a problem.

I'm going to remember this!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, »
@Steve Gase
We're using paracord for the tree.  My g/f will sew the nodes on using Trout fishing line (6lb) and we'll twist (wind) the nodes around the paracord so they'll not be a gravity hung mess - winding in thirds.  (My statement is horribly unclear. -grin-  Maybe I'll post pictures.)  We're spacing the tree nodes on 2.5" centers, just about the perfect length allowing for cord stretch and the node twisting.

I considered using fiberglass rod, surplus from the "no-pole" tent designs, but I'm running out of time.

@Trekster "You can tell this man is a thinker!"    I dunno 'bout that.  :)  I can either think about the pain or I can imitate Red Green.  ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, »
I understand.  My pixels are on the way, and I plan to plasti dip them, then tie them to paracord... likely with zip ties.  I didn't plan "slack" as I wanted the full reach of the string.

you give me more to think about. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, »
that's what i love about this site, sp many ways to do all kinds of neat things. now someone can take your idea, and apply it to maybe a problem they were having.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline DennyMo

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, »
Neat idea.  I've been thinking of retiring the swag lights I've been using on the gutters, these look like a nice alternative.
The fellow in the Air Force shirt is my U.S. Marine son.
Oh, that'll go over big in the barracks. :)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, »
Neat idea.  I've been thinking of retiring the swag lights I've been using on the gutters, these look like a nice alternative.
The fellow in the Air Force shirt is my U.S. Marine son.
Oh, that'll go over big in the barracks. :)

He's out of the Marines now, received his honorable last March.   My son reminds me the Air Force shirt is his ROTC shirt from high school!!   :)

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, »
We're progressing!!   My son just finished the PVC window frames - looking good!!!   Next, we're plan on the "Bellago Fountains," seven half-pipes about seven feet tall with SSC's and pixel nodes.

I really like this half-pipe idea!!   :)