Author Topic: Pixelnet with a dmx controller only  (Read 1275 times)

Offline lightingboy82

Pixelnet with a dmx controller only
« on: October 25, 2011, »
It is possible to use the ss with a dmx light board, and not with a software program on a pc? I have, and plan to use, a light board like a theater has, it is capable of outputting dmx and art net protocols. I don't know if it would understand what to do with the lynx dongle.

Offline lightingboy82

Re: Pixelnet with a dmx controller only
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, »
Let me try to explain better. Can I send dmx or art net data straight to the sc or Pixelnet hub? My lighting controller would not recognize the lynx dongle ( I don't think it would anyway, it does have a USB port, and can use the enttec dmx pro dongle to add universes to it)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, »
No it is not DMX it is PixelNet.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, »
before i invest in any of the smart string items, can someone who has a pixelnet dongle, and SSCs please, in their free time (like you have any), download the PC console software by martin (this is the free PC version of the console i use) and see if M-PC will see the pixelnet dongle, and if it will be able to talk to it? 

M-PC will show demo in the bottom left corner without a USB key, but in Menu|SYSTEM|DMX SETTINGS| USB2DMX hopefully it will see the pixelnet dongle as a choice.

Thanks!!!

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, »
Happened to have M-PC running on a test machine. It does not recognize a pixelnet dongle. If you really want to use smart strings with dmx you can use this controller from Ray Wu's store You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I've tested it with rectangle modules and strings but understand you'll pretty much be on your own if you go this route and you'll quickly run out of channels.

Josh

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, »
thanks for checking it out!! maybe it will be a function of the etherdongle ;)
*fingers crossed

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, »
hi lightingboy82,

I didn't see your post in the new members section so I am not sure what your plans are.

Just curious are you planing to use the lynx hardware for your home or something else?

btw: the etherdongle works off of the E1.31 standard to send info to it and then outputs pixelnet or dmx data (depending on what firmware is loaded)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required