Author Topic: Using one power source  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Sloanhaus

Using one power source
« on: March 04, 2009, »
If  I am going to be using only one power source by connecting on the bottom, do I need the second fuse on the right. I know that I dont need to install the right terminal?

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Re: Using one power source
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If  I am going to be using only one power source by connecting on the bottom, do I need the second fuse on the right. I know that I dont need to install the right terminal?

Hello

The information that you seek is in the manual under appendix A.

But what I do is just run a jumper wire from one terminal block to the other.  This way the jumper can be easily removed in case I decided that I want to use dual input power.

Bill

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, »

Hello

The information that you seek is in the manual under appendix A.

But what I do is just run a jumper wire from one terminal block to the other.  This way the jumper can be easily removed in case I decided that I want to use dual input power.

Bill

Bill, I understand that part, what I am wondering is do I have to put the fuse on the right side of the board,,, I know you dont have to put the terminal on the right side, just wondering if you have to add the fuse

Offline Greg

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, »
Brad,

If you do as Bill described he does rather than jumper on the board, then yes you need to install the fuse on the right side (as well as the left) otherwise you won't have continuity to the power buss for the right bank of triacs.  ;)

Rereading your post though, if you feed power from the left, jumpering the power buss on the board and not use the right terminal posts, then you don't need the right side fuse.

Greg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline tpboyce

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, »
Does anyone have pictures of a board modified with the jumpers as indicated in the appendix?  When doing this mod, do you strip all of the wire off of the SPT?  I am assuming you solder on the bottom of the board still?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, »
Does anyone have pictures of a board modified with the jumpers as indicated in the appendix?  When doing this mod, do you strip all of the wire off of the SPT?  I am assuming you solder on the bottom of the board still?

No No No, you only strip enough wire to solder it to the pcb. That will be live AC there and you don't want to touch it or cause a short. You also want to cut off the wire as close to the pcb as possible where its solder in.

Some people have run a jumper of wire from the left power input to the right power input so they know not to add power to that side. If you do that you then you don't need to use the pcb power jumper.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, »
I would install the terminal block that way you have a place to put the jumper and if neede you could use it for a secondary power source also I would install the second fuse for the same reason
Jeff

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, »
Since things always seem to change over time and I can guarantee that I will not move things around on my layout or sell the controllers to someone else in the future.  I build them with all parts and then use Bill Buehlers scheme of running a piece of spt2 from the right power input to the left power input.  I just tin the ends and insert the wire with the regular power feed on the left.  Works great and I can remove that jumper anytime without any de-soldering or removing the board from the case.  Think about it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, »
It depends on how you jump the two sides as to whether you need the right side fuse or not.  If you use the jumpers in the center of the board then the right fuse is NOT needed and serves no purpose.  If you jump from the right to the left then you need to keep the fuse in place.  From what I read it appear that you are going to use the center jump points since you claimed not to be installling the right terminal block and in that case the right fuse should also be left out.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, »
When I built mine, I cut 2 6ft extension cords in half. Using a male and a female on each power input. This gives me 1 outlet that will always be on. If I want I can plug the right side into the left single input power "10 amp fuses", or use 2 separate sources dual input power.

Thanks
Have Fun!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, »
i've installed the power blocks on both sied of the Express...  if i want seperate circuits for the lights to be on, then i plug them in seperately, if i want them on the same circuit, then i plug them into the same circuit.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, »
You got it.

Just remember, the LE can handle 30+ amps, I would use at least 12 gauge extension cords to supply power. or use smaller fuses "8 to 10 amp"

From the LE manual
"Appendix A single power input mod
If you would like to mod your Express to use a single power input cable you must limit your output current to 20 amps or less."

Have Fun!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, »
i've installed the power blocks on both sied of the Express...  if i want seperate circuits for the lights to be on, then i plug them in seperately, if i want them on the same circuit, then i plug them into the same circuit.

You can do it this way and many do but for me, that's just another cord to deal with and another outlet required.  It really depends on what you are going to use them for.  If you are still using icans then this may be the best way to go but remember, if you are going to push the current then you need another power source as well.  If you are at all or pretty much all LED, then there simply no need for the second power source and this is way that  I'm going due to increased durability and significantly reduced power draw which gives me far more flexability in my setups.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving