Author Topic: Indirect route of using Nutcracker in LSP  (Read 2353 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: Indirect route of using Nutcracker in LSP
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, »
I want to incorporate NC in my show and like George use LSP and have my own timing marks.  The export pattern caught my interest.  In my mind I want to create something in NC that can be pasted to the intervals is LSP.  IOW, how to sync the two up.   Can anyone point me in the right direction? 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline urthegman

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, »
Zwil, I spent the better part of the last four days trying to do this. I exported as an .lms file and tried to import it to LSP, I get to the part where it says add a controller to begin I add a controller, and controllers and there are no effects.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, by urthegman »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, »
Not the end of the world for me but want to get really creative with the single strand stuff when its available.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, »
Sean

I've got a large LSP sequence that I exported into Conductor, converted with Xlights, put all my models in place, worked preview to show the sequence.  I can play the sequence in preview: looks very good...

one issue: maybe I'm mistaken on how it should work, but when I look at the nutcracker tab, I don't see the sequence timing marks or any effects for my models (I inserted several models) ....is that because I'm not using any of the nutcracker effects, have not configured the models correctly or have I not displayed the sequence correctly in Xlights?

I went through the Oct 25 video, great job of going over all the features...thank you!

Hope your recovery is on track...
Regards
John

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, »
I don't think a converted sequence will have any of the nutcracker effects and therefore will not have any timing marks, etc.  How would the program know where your timing marks were?  But it would be great if it had those kind of smarts.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, »
Jim
What I was thinking is, if Xlights could display the timing marks (possible for a generic label or model), I could find locations within the sequence that I could edit by inserting or overlaying with  a nutcracker effect.  For us LSP guys, that would be a whole heck of an easier way to add nutcracker effects.  For example, find the range of timing marks you want to add an effect, insert rows and add the effect to the desired model and press on.... I've probably over grossly over simplified the process and certainly the coding required.
John

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, »
John, would it be possible to take your current  music, run it through Audacity to get the timing marks and then add it to the Nutcracker tab. I would think you could handle the few timing adjustments you may have manually within xlights/nutcracker. then you could build effects and substitute as needed. Just brain storming.  Good Luck!

Kevin

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, »
Kevin
That might work...I could run a couple of test cases where I'd just add some timing marks and see what the result would be....i'll let you know
John

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, »
Just remember that when you save the file it is liable to overlay the stuff that you did not specify with blanks.  That is why it is recommended that you pick a grid spot and enter none for effect1 and none for effect 2 then do any update grid.  Any timing points on a display element that just have a blank apparently get overwritten with a blank.  At least that is how I understand it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, »
I don't think the timing marks in say a LOR sequence are all that useful because many are never used ... esp. if the timing marks are
every .5 secs or something.  Te me timing marks that you didn't use mean very little, esp. in the nutcracker context which generally
relates timings to significant music phrases (not always, but in general).

What I felt would be amazing would be the ability to pick a channel in your source sequence and then turn that into timing marks in xlights ...
and it would just use only the intervals which were used by that channel only.

Of course the most ultimate would be to have an array of timings, vs. the one currently allowed.  THe array of timings could allow you to import
a variety of timings and then program against any of them.  One could be from audacity, but the other might be from a pre-existing channel and
its very precise programming which already exists.

I tested this a bit in LOR by selecting a single channel, copying it (to clipboard) and then export that clipboard to a clipboard file.

Then the xml clipboard file actually contains the start and stop times for all the events ... and events with start or ending intensity > 0 are
probably the ones "used" for the most part.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, »
Kevin
It worked...I thought I had sent a reply earlier, but it looks like I might have fat fingered the port button..

I'll test further and get back to you.

Workin another issue:

My setup in Xlights appears to have some issues: a rouge channel i.e. Net #XX appears in my LOR controller section as a channel between two ligit channels.  It's offsetting the channel assignments in the XSEQ files...

Have you seen this before??? see attachments

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, »
John, sounds like you are on the correct path. Keep us posted, I know there are a few others with the same goal

Kevin

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, »
Thanks..

Here's the experiment That I tried:

LSP to conductor (maybe some issues here; looks like I'm missing some sequence elements in LOR controllers'; I'm comparing to Frank R's light Elf later tonight)

Conductor to Xlights

opened the file in Xlights(nutcracker).  Added several Timing marks (7) and 6 different models; all RGB.

Over a 20 second interval I added effects : using the random button.

Saved the file: unfortunately you can't change the file name.

Over to Preview: open the saved file: AT THE SPLASH SCREEN THAT COMES UP: "NO" to adjusting the "My Display flags"

PLAY:  Looks good!!

I'll continue to work several issues:
the added channels in setup for LOR controller (it adds chn called Net #xx between ligit channels (see earlier post & attachments)

The apparent conversion issue with conductor files

And exploring further Kevin's Idea (above)!

Regards
John