Author Topic: Software question  (Read 3594 times)

Offline shane

Software question
« on: January 16, 2010, »
This will be my third year in animation ( LOR ). I am wanting to expand my display with the Lynx Express. The problem is that I am currently using the lor software suite 2 for my sequencing, will that be compatible for the express or do I have to switch to vixen or lightshow pro? I am hoping that my sequences from the past two years can still be used. Thanks for any help. ;D

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
Re: Software question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, »
Nope the new LOR Sequences are not compatible yet ???? Only the older version 2 sequences. 

There is no conversion program for the new LOR format. 

LOR wont drive the Lynx Dongle and LOR wont drive DMX without the IDMX ....

LSP will drive the LOR and LYNX boxes as well as many more I have heard.  Price for the software is ~100 per computer meaning if you have a sequencing PC and a Show PC you will need 2 licenses.

Lynx will drive the Lynx controllers and will drive the LOR controllers via Vixen, if the LOR controllers are updated properly.   
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, »
"Price for the software is ~100 per computer meaning if you have a sequencing PC and a Show PC you will need 2 licenses. "

I've not sequenced a show yet as this will be my first year.  But I have been around these forums for 2 years now and I think the above quote by Bill is something that needs to be "highlighted" a little more on these forums.   With the increasing number of "Noobs" getting involved in this hobby I think that the above is a pretty important factor in the selection of software that really "flies under the radar" for most just getting involved.

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is another option as it will also support DMX this year.  The licensing terms for it state that you are allowed to use it to control one show, so it can be installed on multiple computers, but only one of which should be used for your show.

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Price for the software is ~100 per computer meaning if you have a sequencing PC and a Show PC you will need 2 licenses. "

I've not sequenced a show yet as this will be my first year.  But I have been around these forums for 2 years now and I think the above quote by Bill is something that needs to be "highlighted" a little more on these forums.   With the increasing number of "Noobs" getting involved in this hobby I think that the above is a pretty important factor in the selection of software that really "flies under the radar" for most just getting involved.

LOR is licensed per household kind of thing ... I think you can do 2 by default but have to call to get additional PC's connected.  it is easy to used and is aged quite well. 

LSP DOES import all kinds of files and DOES Export them as well so there is a huge Benefit there .. there is no doubt it could be a large advantage in purchasing a few licenses.  Once it ages a little more it will be a great tool to have for shows.

If someone can add into vixen the conversions it will be great as well.

In review each has its benefits and drawbacks ... each is built for a particular audience / user review them closely for your use.

I used LOR for 4 years (you need it if you are going to keep yuour LOR controllers ---- for updating and programing), I used Vixen last year and will likely start using LSP this year. 

Sequencing is a big part of my show so cutting time out of the sequencing workload should recover the cost of LSP  rather quickly.   

I am not familiar with Aurora at all.

Merry Lightmass

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, »
I read somewhere in the LSP site that if you contact the staff about additonal PC License that they will open your current license up to 5 PCs.  I will look for the information and post it if it is available.

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, »
[I read somewhere in the LSP site that if you contact the staff about additonal PC License that they will open your current license up to 5 PCs.  I will look for the information and post it if it is available./quote]

If true that would be great.  On their site it indicates you can "transfer" the license but that means disabling from one machine and enabling on another.  I would really like to be able to have a show computer running while working on enhancing or creating new sequences.

Offline shane

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, »
If I am using a computer to sequence and i transfer it to a card (mp3 director ) will the mp3 director work with the Express?

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

The Express takes a DMX input.  Have you got a DMX output from the director?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline shane

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, »
Hello, no I do not have one but I hope that you are telling me that I can purchase one. I really do not want to tie up my computer for the show. I have learned that I will not be able to use my LOR software but I hope that I can somehow get my sequences over to lightshow pro or vixen which ever is best. ???

Offline LightShowPro

• LightShow Pro Owner
    • LightShow Pro
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, »
Hi Shane,
with LightShow Pro you can run it on up to 5 machines, as long as it is for a single display (you just need to send em an email request).

As well, you can import the LOR 2.x files into LSP and then add in the Lynx controllers to sequence them together.

If you need more details, be sure to ping the forums over at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

thanks,
David

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, »
Now I'm confused.  I have both LOR and Lynx and downloaded lots of LOR sequences and ran them thru the LOR2VIX converter and was able to view them in Vixen and even copy some of the channel data from a downloaded and converted LOR sequence to Vixen 2.1.4 with no problems.  In all the LOR sequences I ran thru the converter I only had one that did not convert.  I know that the Holdman sequences were all in LOR 2 and I got all those.  So what's the deal here?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline shane

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, »
Thanks David, that is the news that I was hoping to hear. Lightshow Pro it is then. ;)

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now I'm confused.  I have both LOR and Lynx and downloaded lots of LOR sequences and ran them thru the LOR2VIX converter and was able to view them in Vixen and even copy some of the channel data from a downloaded and converted LOR sequence to Vixen 2.1.4 with no problems.  In all the LOR sequences I ran thru the converter I only had one that did not convert.  I know that the Holdman sequences were all in LOR 2 and I got all those.  So what's the deal here?

Simple .. they were made before the end of 2008, LOR came out with a updated version at the end of 2008 Ver 2 as well. (mostly added licensing) if you didn't update and run your sequence through the LOR2VIX program it worked fine. However if you did update, your early V2 Lor sequences would have been converted to the new LOR format.

Those sequences made in that updated version are not compatible with the Lor to Vixen converter ...

Merry Lightmass