Author Topic: Do you remember??  (Read 1365 times)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Do you remember??
« on: September 11, 2009, »
We Will Never Forget September the 11th (911)

2976                                                                                                            343

:'( Youngest passenger onboard UA flight 175 was Christine Hanson. She  :'(
      was on her first trip to Disneyland. She was only 2.

115                                                                                                                 2

2976 - Total number killed in the attacks
343 - Number of NYC Firefighters and EMT that were killed
115 - Number of Nations that lost people in the attacks.
2 - Age of the yougest victim on the highjacked planes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Do you remember??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, »
YES

:'(
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline foodseller

• Celebrating CHRISTmas-one light at a time!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, »
Yes, I do remember that day.  I give all honor and respect to those that fought--and are fighting and to those that lost family members and friends I give my condolences.
May we never forget!
Up to three channels now!!! Flashlight in each hand and one on my hat!

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, »
Eight years on, and I'll never forget waking up at 3 in the morning Hawaii time with CNN watching me sleep and thinking OMG!  This changes everything.  Such a sad day.  And I'll never forget having stood on top of the South Tower many years before, awestruck by the view, and marveling at the accomplishments of American ingenuity.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline REM

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, »
I remember sitting on my coffee table watching in disbelief when I should have been leaving for work.  I never made it out the door that day and my boss at the time didn't care.

The hijackers had gained entry into the US under false pretenses using student or exchange visitor visas. It was easy then as it was a paper process with no checks and balances.  Little did I know at the time but I would soon become the principal architect of the new enterprise Java web-based system to keep that from ever happening again - the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

So, yes. I remember.  I'm reminded every day I sit down to work.

--Ron

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, »
Yes, it is also our anniversary, we had just finished setting up a picnic in our living room for the day, we were going to watch movies and chill out together for the day.  

The plans changed drastically and we were glued to the phone and TV for what now has been termed ground zero.

We haven't really celebrated our anniversary since then, as it has been scarred with those memories.    

Today in honor of those that lost their lives and those that made a difference that day,  and the anniversary of the day I married the most incredible women in the world.   We decided this year ... Today we are going to have that picnic that never happened to honor that day with all it memories both good and bad.

To those that had fallen and those that stood up and to those that it had effected WE wish peace and love to you and yours.  

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, »
I remember this day quite vividly.

I was actually near Los Angeles attending a conference.  Woke up early to check email, etc...and turned on CNN.  Saw the 2nd plane go into WTC and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Conference got cancelled, with all planes grounded, some folks started figuring out how to DRIVE back to the east coast.

I hung out at the hotel till my scheduled flight back to NC later that week.  I was on one of the first couple of flights that actually left LAX.  Got back to NC, but wife and son had to drive 2 hrs to pick me up at one of few airports with flights landing.

The sacrifice that many made to save others is amazing.
Mark
Kernersville, NC
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deplanche

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, »
I was at work.  Only 1 computer had internet access (remember, this was 8 years ago).  Normally, we didn't even have a TV at work.  But someone was raffling one off in the lunchroom because they had just purcahsed it, and then won a bigger one in a school raffle.  So got to see the news covering the events of the day unfolding.

Hardest part for me, since I did not know anyone there, were the debates going on in our office shortly after the seeing the footage.  A bunch of civil/structural enginners amazed that a building could withstand a crash like that, but then quickly trying to figure out what would happen when the heat melted the steel on those top floors.  Predicting the future isn't always as good as it sounds.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, »
It would be very hard to forget if you were watching TV that morning.  We were in Sacramento, CA to see our first granddaughter.  Turned on the TV in the motel and became glued to the TV.  Everywhere we went people were stunned.  Then we realized that we could not get home to Atlanta.  Drove to northern Cal to visit other relatives until planes returned to the sky.

A very scary time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA