Author Topic: Lynx Express PIC programming errors  (Read 2000 times)

Offline tmcteer

Lynx Express PIC programming errors
« on: November 25, 2011, »
When I attempt to program the PIC24fj23ga002 I get verify errors
Programming...
The following memory regions failed to program correctly:
Program Memory
Address: 00000044 Expected Value: 00000ccc Received Value: 00000cc8
Programming failed

Programming...
The following memory regions failed to program correctly:
Program Memory
Address: 00000004 Expected Value: 00000ccc Received Value: 00000cc8
Programming failed

I manually erase and it show success but the Blank Check All fails also.

This happens if programming with PICKIT3 in circuit or externally using the J1Systems ICSP28 with W jumpers. I also have a second PIC that also fails in the same manor. I set the correct chip in the devices drop down and powered on the device when using the external adapter. Tried both 3.25 and the 3.75 voltage options.

I know the PICKIT3 and ICSP28 works because it can program the Dongle PIC with no errors.

Suspecting the chip,I have just ordered 2 more PIC24fj23ga002 from Mouser. Maybe I should order from DigiKey.

Does the community have any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, by tmcteer »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Lynx Express PIC programming errors
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, »
Have you try upgrading the firmware on the pickit3?

In the pickit3 utility program, click on tools and then download operating system….

Hopefully that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, »
I had this happen, I knew my chip was good. Found that my laptop usb didn't supply enough power. Using a powered hub had no further problem.

Good Luck
Have Fun!

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, »
Tom,

Should work with the 3.3 V option.  Strange.  If you want to send one of your PICs my way, I can check it out for you with a setup I know works.  Just PM me.  Also, just to be sure, double check that you have jumpered all the 'W' jumpers (I am sure you have, but should be easy to double check.)

Also, make certain you have the HEX file for the thing you are trying to program.  I am sure you know, they are all available via the Wiki page.

Sounds like you are doing all the correct things.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, »
You don't mention the Checksum for the HEX file.

RJ always posts the expected / required checksum on the download. Do they match?

If not, re-download the HEX file.

Checksums
Pickit2 - 64C0
Pickit3 - 6538

Also, you say twice "PIC24fj23ga002" but it should be PIC24fj32ga002
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, by JonB256 »

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, »
Progress....
My second LE kit from Mouser arrived this afternoon... I was able to program the two new PIC24fj32ga002 using the ICSP28 and installed in in the LE.  It ran the test mode with one led not lighting. I'll troubleshoot that tomorrow and get it connected to the Dongle.

FYI the PICKIT3 was up to date. I did notice that the Programmer VDD status showed 3.12 directly connected to my laptop well within the typical 5% of 3.3v. When attached to a powered USB hub the VDD status showed 3.29.
I was able to program the PIC with the PICKIT3 directly connected to the laptop.

Thanks again

Tom

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, »
I still had problems after programming the 2 new PIC24fj32ga002 from Mouser. Checksums match and the board runs all the self tests and sequences each channel properly.  Still not able to get any blinky using xlights tests :( I had a backup plan and ordered 2 additional PIC24fj32ga002 from Avnet. I put them into the LE and used the PicKit3 to program the chip.
Hooray !!!! I get blinky blinky from S3 and the Lynx dongle.

I question why all 3 of my chips from Mouser with a date code of 1105 fail and continue to fail after reprogramming.  Know that I've been building kits for 35 years and have a static free environment. Does anybody have experience returning products to Mouser? It may not be worth pack and shipping back....

Thanks for all the great advice.

Tom