Author Topic: LOR Showtime Director MP3 unit with Lynx Express  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Jasonlnlv

Will a LOR Showtime Director MP3 unit with Lynx Express to control the LE boards?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: LOR Showtime Director MP3 unit with Lynx Express
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, »
No

the MP3 director units will only output LOR protocol. TO use the LOR director units with Lynx controllers, you need to add the IDMX-1000 between the Director unit and the Lynx controllers to convert the LOR Protocol to DMX.

A conversion Cat5 cable is also needed between the IDMX-1000 and the first Lynx controller.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jasonlnlv

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, »
Thank for the reply, was reading about the iDMX-1000 and can't figure out if it is a standalone director unit itself, thus not needing the Director MP3 unit. Right or wrong?

Also is there a Lynx director unit that can be used?

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, »
The iDMX can hold and drive an animation sequence, but not a musical sequence.

An no, not yet, probably next year.

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, »
A little confusing. I too plan to use my idmx to control the Lynx Express boxes.

If the idmx will run DMX fixtures why won't it run Lynx controllers without switching a couple wires in the cat5 cable? Does that mean If I wanted to run the Lynx controllers and DMX moving head fixtures I would have to switch the wires back again after the last Lynx to run to the moving head fixtures?

So it would look like this iDMX----switched wires----------Lynx----------lynx----switched wires back---------------moving head----------------moving head.

And I assume if the layout was right I could put the moving heads first then switch the wires and then place the lynx controllers last.

What wires do I need to switch for the Lynx controllers to work with the iDMX?

Thanks

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, »
If you know your products, then you know that the LOR controllers will also understand DMX along with the Lynx controllers.

Yes, you can use both off the IDMX-1000 in DMX mode and you do not need to do anything to theLOR controllers to understand DMX.

The only thing is you need conversion Cat5 cables to adapt the IDMX to LOR and Lynx.

IDMX is a 3 pin XLR
LOR uses Cat5 pins 4 & 5
Lynx uses Cat5 pins 1 & 2.

So output off the IDMX-1000 should go to either the LOR or Lynx controllers first then to the other group of controller. That way you only need 2 conversion cables.

You will find posts on this forum that will actually show you how to make the conversion cables.

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, »
I would run the whole show in DMX mode but the only trouble is I am using the LOR 1602MP3 so it would be easier to control the LOR controllers and iDMX in the LOR protocol and then switch the wires in the cat5 cable to run the Lynx I have the XLR to RJ45 adapter that I will use to send DMX to the Lynx Express.

What color is the wires (if my cable was made the right way) for pins 1 and 2 and pins 4 and 5?

So if I understand your thinking and if I was using the computer to control my display I could run out of the computer into the iDMX then using the XLR to RJ45 adapter I could daisy chain all the controllers from there? and make a conversion Cat5 cable that would plug into the first Lynx Express.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, »
You got it.

Here is a link to help you.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, »
I have my idmx producing a DMX signal that is being sent to a Lynx express. the Express is not responding to signals other then I get channel 5-8 coming on ramdemly. The DMX LED on the express is on steady. I am using the XLR to RJ45 adapter that is listed in the wiki.

The show is ran from the LOR MP3 player. What might be wrong?

Looking at the cpoint adapter and the wiring card that came with it. Shows pin 1 as data1- going to number 2 in the cat5 cable. And Data1+ goes to number 1 on the cat5.

But then if you look how they have the cat5 cable numbered is 7,8,2,1,C,3,6,4,5.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, by lightingnut »