Author Topic: DC12V INK1003 LED PIXEL STRIP  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
DC12V INK1003 LED PIXEL STRIP
« on: July 24, 2014, »
I would like some advice please.  Has anyone ever used these type of flex strips? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ? They are from Ray Wu. I like the idea that the IC is intrgrated into the LED, but are they good enough to handle lets say a mega tree?  Are there any pro/cons going with this type?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline arw01

Re: DC12V INK1003 LED PIXEL STRIP
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, »
I have 6 strips of them cutting them up for a fixture.  They work fine, but be aware that the 30leds a meter can only be cut at 1m intervals because of the dc converters on the back of the strips.

If you cut less than 1m intervals, you may have to toss some pixels to get back to the next set powered from the converter.

Alan

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, »
So, INK1003 is compatible with DLA and behaves like WS2811 and TM180x ?  That's great!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, »
I have had no issues with them, seen some other say they work too.  Anything in particular you would like me to test?  I happen to have a mess of active hubs spread across my shop floor now and can put my ink strips on a ssc 4v in just a few minutes of soldering up a connector.

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, »
Arw01 -   Do you have an idea how many nodes would have to be cut out to trim down so the nodes function properly?

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, »
You have to get back to a DC converter basically.  They actually power the 5v line down the pixels to the next one.  Now if you connected 5v to the cut off pixels they would likely be just fine, but you would have to do power injection around our 12v SSC's, etc.

If you want I take some photos tomorrow and how you.

Alan

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, »
Alan - Thanks.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see how its' done.  I'm really on the fence here as to buying these or go and purchase the TM1809's.  The cost for the INK1003's are $10 cheaper per strip than the TM1809's.  I was figuring on making a 12'-14' mega tree and would be cutting the flex strips down anyway.  The excess I was going to play with, might put them in my candy canes that line the yard.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, by Ozmin »

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, »
I have the photos taken, will get them off the camera tomorrow.

Also ran the nutcracker alternate for a good hour with a SSC V4 straight into a full set of ink1003 just to make sure.

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, »
Thanks Alan - Can't wait to see them.  Probably going to order a few from Ray just to play with.....

Bill A.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, »
I bought the 60 pixels per meter version. They work great and are similar quality as the 1809 flex strips. One issue is that you cannot program the Zeus or SSC for more than 128 nodes. So, if your strips are longer than that, you would need to separate them.

The regulators on the back are soldered at the center of each 30 LED section. They all attach in parallel to the same 12 volt line. The 5 volt output is attached to the 5 volt line which is notched out every 30 LEDs to keep the sections separated. The regulator can be removed and placed any where along the section. So you could cut the strip at any pixel and simply move the regulator to make sure each section has a voltage regulator. You can also buy additional regulators if needed. Of course, it is easier to just cut (or desolder) them at the 30 LED intersections and not have to worry about the regulators.

Here are some pictures and a video of them connected to an Etherdongle and a Zeus 8 running some effects from Nutcracker. Sorry for the poor video quality.

Offline arw01

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, »
Ray was unable to get me regulators separately

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Offline Ozmin

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, »
Alan - Thanks for the pictures /video.  It looks great!  As you were saying, adding regulators / infusing power is a solution to having those regulators in the middle of the 1 meter length of nodes.  Do you know the part number of the regulator?  These nodes seems like a good use for a matrix like in your video.

Thanks again for your input.

Bill A.