Author Topic: Playing with breadboards again.  (Read 1480 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Playing with breadboards again.
« on: August 01, 2014, »
Hi Folks,

Its been a long time since I use a breadboard to build something with it.
I have a couple of goals to create (hopefully) two items that sadly are not DLA related.

First I just remade a circuit I saw online to get me started.
Its just a pic controlling a LCD showing what voltage its seeing on one ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) input pin.
Nothing exciting. I am not sure which is correct my "cheap" dvm or the pic.

My goal projects:
1 - Power supply with 5 & 12 volts and variable (with LCD display) voltage. Maybe an amp meter also.
2 - Lighthouse Light with simulated rotating light. Using Wildwood NJ Hereford Inlet as the prototype with a 10 second light rotation.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Playing with breadboards again.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, »
Greetings,,,

A few green wires, a few red wires.  Seems appropriate.

Forward...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, »
That looks good Rick.  I would say that they are both correct.  A .1V loss can occure from the small load fom the meter and slight corrosion or poor contact on the leads.  It has been well over 20 years since I even looked at a breadboard but that does look like fun.  Is the lighthouse for your train setup?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, »
That looks good Rick.  I would say that they are both correct.  A .1V loss can occure from the small load fom the meter and slight corrosion or poor contact on the leads.  It has been well over 20 years since I even looked at a breadboard but that does look like fun.  Is the lighthouse for your train setup?

Thanks Tom,

yeah the Lighthouse Light is for the Train layout. I see you point about the voltage difference. Funny thing back when I was in electronics school I had too very good meters. A german one and a Fluke. I gave the Fluke to my dad since they both were very good and I didn't see a difference between the two. Sadly I don't know what happen to either one.

The LM317 board has to be about 15 + years old. I just happen to come across it in my parts drawer.

Question for the power supply I am on the fence between using a ATX ps or a linear transformer. Which way would you go?

Brother Keith, I didn't even think of the red and green wires  <la..

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline mac50

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, »
I agree both are correct. Best i can recall, plus or minus 1 on a dvm in the least significant digit would not be unusual. i was taught you should always set a dvm to give the most digits available without going over range to get the most accurate reading.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, »
I would go with the ATX supply.  For not a whole lot more money, they give you a strictly regulated, highly filtered DC output in 12, 5, and 3.3 volts.  This alone should cover about 90% of your needs and if you still need or want to build a variable output with the digital display, you already have a solid foundation to build it on.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, »
Simulated light rotation?     Using multiple leds to generate rotational pattern?     
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, »
Simulated light rotation?     Using multiple leds to generate rotational pattern?   

Yes Sir Moose  ;D

Rick R.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, »

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, »

The whole article is pretty good too ...

This was written by Dave Bodnar, who got me into this whole mishigash ... I decided I wanted a real lighthouse on my outdoor train layout and Dave had posted some stuff about how he'd done it himself and sold PC boards and BOMs. I then got into Picaxen, building a crossing signal for the gate you have to open to get into my layout using the technology.

After I'd built the lighthouse and the crossing signal, when the wife saw the TV show "Crazy Christmas Lights" and a computerized show, she said, "I expect you to do this next year." I said "Sure." She was joking; I was not.

\dmc