Author Topic: Prototype for nodes under the eves  (Read 1468 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Prototype for nodes under the eves
« on: January 09, 2013, »
Here's my new prototype for hanging my nodes under the eves of my house.  Did the j-channel thing last season and just wasn't happy with it, like the idea but had a couple of issues, at least the way I did it.

May need to step it down one more size on the pvc, undecided.  Still deciding if I'm going to do the crawford clip way or continue with my bolt already in the eve/wing nut.

Now for the pictures...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Prototype for nodes under the eves
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, »
What I would be concerned about is that you are making a nice water trough there.  I would at least put in a drain hole between the bulbs.  Someone, Lonewolf maybe, did a version where he cut a 1/2" slit in the pipe and then slid the bulbs in.  That put the wire in the pipe and the opening down so that way the water would not collect.  I've thought about doing that but the 1/2 slit would need to be carefulliy cut.  I think the version I am recalling was done using a router.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, »
why not try to put the nodes and the SSC inside 10ft thinwall PVC, then put end caps on each end, you only need to drill one hole for the cat 5, and the entire system in sealed)   or if you want to really see the nodes, put them in extruded acrylic just big enough to fit in the nodes, and then use a bushing, or adapter on one end to go to the 1" pvc for the SSC?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, »
I would actually have small holes on the bottom to let the water out, did the same on my j-channel.

I actually like that idea of all in the pvc Chris.  Only downfall maybe not being able to tell when nodes are out?  I kind of like the look of the nodes but never hurts to test/play  :)  Thats what you built your arches out of right?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, »
I would actually have small holes on the bottom to let the water out, did the same on my j-channel.

I actually like that idea of all in the pvc Chris.  Only downfall maybe not being able to tell when nodes are out?  I kind of like the look of the nodes but never hurts to test/play  :)  Thats what you built your arches out of right?

yeah, but i used sections of dumb strips instead of nodes...

but i also gave the option of extruded clear acrylic. that way you can directly see the nodes. the acrylic is clear. and if you keep to a small diameter tube, it'll keep the costs down.  but with a completely sealed unit, there would be no water to get in.

oh yeah, plus you would just need those clamps to hold the whole thing in place (maybe 3 total per tube)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Prototype for nodes under the eves
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, »
Hmm ok decisions decisions.  One of my reasons for the setup was my wife, she insisted they had to all be straight/going the same direction.

Thanks looks like I have more playing to do.

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, »

yeah, but i used sections of dumb strips instead of nodes...

but i also gave the option of extruded clear acrylic. that way you can directly see the nodes. the acrylic is clear. and if you keep to a small diameter tube, it'll keep the costs down.  but with a completely sealed unit, there would be no water to get in.

oh yeah, plus you would just need those clamps to hold the whole thing in place (maybe 3 total per tube)

Have you had any issues with the acrylic getting warm and bowing? I've thought about doing this but worried if the wall was too thin it wouldn't remain straight.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, »
what would warm the acrylic? it's melting point is around 320 degrees F, i think

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, »
oh, i just realized, at least from the place that i get it, i can only get it in 6ft lengths...  (i was thinking pvc for the 10ft)

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, »
I like the idea. I have been thinking about something like that for C-7 lights, but never got past the thinking part. With the node lights, this looks like it will work great. I also want to build some window frames.

Keep up the good work and please keep us posting!

Mark
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, »
I'm looking at some Square PVC pipe from US Plastics.

More expensive that the round, but I like the look. Easier to drill, too. The 3/4" is 0.060" wall thickness and the SS Pixels are supposed to be able to push and lock into that thickness. 12mm hole in the front. 14 or 16mm hole in the back. I suppose it would need weep holes, also, along the bottom side.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, »
I'm looking at some Square PVC pipe from US Plastics.

More expensive that the round, but I like the look. Easier to drill, too. The 3/4" is 0.060" wall thickness and the SS Pixels are supposed to be able to push and lock into that thickness. 12mm hole in the front. 14 or 16mm hole in the back. I suppose it would need weep holes, also, along the bottom side.

those are dark gray

these are clear...

cost less too  :)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, »
What I would be concerned about is that you are making a nice water trough there.  I would at least put in a drain hole between the bulbs.  Someone, Lonewolf maybe, did a version where he cut a 1/2" slit in the pipe and then slid the bulbs in.  That put the wire in the pipe and the opening down so that way the water would not collect.  I've thought about doing that but the 1/2 slit would need to be carefulliy cut.  I think the version I am recalling was done using a router.

Yep, it was me.  See here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

-Keith

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, »
On the square tubing,  how would you seal the ends,,,  or was the intent to leave them open?     

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012