Author Topic: Donation button?  (Read 812 times)

Offline crazybob

Donation button?
« on: February 07, 2013, »
We've accepted donations for charity in the past, which has turned into my involvement with FOUR charities throughout the rest of the year. Because of my heavy charity involvement throughout the rest of the year, I really want my display to just be a "Come by and watch, we won't ask for money for charity" type thing. However, Every year we find money- in our mailbox, in between our front doors, mailed to us, and handed to us by people in their cars- who have thanked us for providing entertainment and just want to give back to the display.
Since MANY of or visitors have asked, I am working on a website for my Christmas light display. When talking to the neighbors about this, a few of them suggested I put a paypal donation button on my site to help fund the display. Now, I know this is common practice for many Halloween enthusiasts who build walk-through haunted houses in their yard around Halloween. But for some reason, it seems a little odd for a Christmas light display.
Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have the same reservations about it that I do? Or am I just being worried for nothing?

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Re: Donation button?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, »
Since there are other [static] displays in my town that take cash donations, I decided to make December 2012 the first year I've taken cash donations for a local charity as well. On the light pole-mounted information sign above my donation box, I included a QR code for people to scan with their smart phones which takes them to a PayPal page. Only one person donated using this method, but they donated $25! I got nearly $500 in donations, so that's 5% of the total. Not bad.

In early January 2013, I've re-pointed You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login from just my YouTube's Channel page to a "real" web site that I created. Next year, I plan to "advertise" my web site on the FM sign out front. The web site automatically adapts to smart phone-sized screens, and I have a link to accept donations. I'll see what that leads to next year...

Wait a sec... re-reading your post, are you accepting the money for yourself? I'd say it's rather unusual, but I remember reading on another forum where someone did the same thing and indicated to donators that it was for his family, and he said that people were still happy to donate. You may need to get a Busking Permit, though--it is a street performance after all.   ;D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline crazybob

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, »
Don't get me wrong- I really don't want to take donations for myself. Frankly, we don't need the money. I love doing my display just to watch cars line up outside to see it. We've just had complaints from our mailman about people sticking cash in our mailbox... decent amounts. Our neighbor just mentioned a donation button as a way to keep this from happening.
I may just put a button on the website directing people to a local charity with a note that reads something like, "Although we greatly appreciate the many people want to donate to the display, we ask that you instead consider donating your money to ______ charity."
The problem is, when we used to have a donation box for charity, some people would make a point to put money in the charity box AND leave some in our mailbox!
It's a huge compliment, but Mr. Mailman was not happy with us this year!

Offline deplanche

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, »
In addition to the note, you could say something like that in between songs in your show. 

Or you could indicate that any donations put in the mailbox will just be a Christmas tip for the mailman... and he'll be very happy with you this year.  <;d

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Donation button?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, »
Something to consider is this could be pushing the line of something not legal. When you broadcast music (paid or unpaid for) the music artist could file suit for unauthorized use of their music to raise money. Even if it is for charity. The thing on your side is intent and I find it unlikely that this event would happen. Doing the fundraiser for you self seems even more dangerous. We are protected using their music for educational use for our shows when we don't take money.

I'm sure this is a stretch but perhaps something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, »
Something to consider is this could be pushing the line of something not legal. When you broadcast music (paid or unpaid for) the music artist could file suit for unauthorized use of their music to raise money. Even if it is for charity.

It seems that music artists/labels aren't as picky as they used to be on stuff like this. I remember that my wife made and uploaded a video to YouTube with the Black Eyed Peas song I Gotta Feeling, and it was muted by their Music Nazis. Now there are lots of YouTube videos with that song now--probably because there are links to get revenue when people click on the link to buy the song on iTunes. It all comes to down to money.

Something that I think that artists consider now is the power of social media and how fast bad news can spread. One person complaining about something on Facebook or Twitter about how "so-and-so" music band sucks for having their lawyers stop them from doing "something as innocent as playing a song that they love so others can enjoy it too", which can spread like wildfire and create bad PR.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Donation button?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, »
Ironically enough if you play someone song on YouTube and criticize it then I think that's allowed under the DMCA. The DMCA also put the burden to prove intent on the copyright owner. I think this is why it's getting more relaxed. If a music label ask for a video to come down that was covered under the exceptions in the DMCA then thy can get sued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk