Author Topic: Soldering tips for Weller soldering iron  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Christmasaddict

Soldering tips for Weller soldering iron
« on: June 27, 2010, »
Would someone who is using a Weller soldering station mind sharing specifically what tip(s) they are using?  I have a Dongle and 3 Lynx Express units to build.  The only thing I can find is a recomendation in the WIKI to use 0.8 and/or 1.6 chisel tips.  If I can get specific Weller part numbers that would be great...
My soldering station uses the ET tips.

???

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: Soldering tips for Weller soldering iron
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, »
I use the ETP tip for all the soldering except the triacs and anything with a large amount of solder required like the input wire connectors, I use an ETM tip for them. Also, I just ordered some ETH tips for use on the Aether.

Bill

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, »
I have the Weller WLC-100 station.  The tip that came with it was kind of large to solder my dongle.  I bought a few different tips to try.  The ST7 is small and pointed.  It burned up or used up quickly building my lynxes.    For me the ST8 seems to be a perfect tip.  It is like a small flat screwdriver tip.  It is shaped like the one that came with the station but about 1/3 the size.  The small flat or chisel tip works best for me.  I have ordered extra ST8 tips.  The dongle seemed to have smaller traces then the lynx did.  At least for me anyway.  I would recommend the  ST8 for the lynx and the dongle.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, »
I have a Weller EC-2000 and use 2 tips. The ETA and ETB.

The ETA is used for standard component soldering, IC, resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc.

The ETB is used for heavier soldering of bigger components and larger solder pads. Transformers, triacs, heat sinks, etc.

I have been soldering for over 50 years.

Also don't forget the solder.

The BEST is called SN63, it is a 63/37 tin and lead and makes the best solder joints, this is what is used in preduction soldering. also the size of the solder wire must be considered.

"Sn63, ASTM63A, ASTM63B. Common in electronics; exceptional tinning and wetting properties, also good for stainless steel. One of most common solders. Low cost and good bonding properties. Used in both SMT and through-hole electronics. Rapidly dissolves gold and silver, not recommended for those."

I use .015 diameter but I know how to use it in all applications.  You can use up to .032 but no larger for through hole soldering.

Just my 2 cents worth.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, »
The BEST is called SN63, it is a 63/37 tin and lead and makes the best solder joints, this is what is used in preduction soldering. also the size of the solder wire must be considered.

No argument on the merits of 63/37 (or at least 60/40) - but is it really used in production these days (at least the majority of stuff)? More and more final production units have to meet complete ROHS requirements. At my work we've had customers swap out all their gear (good for us!) to meet requirements for a  complete lead-free environment. I do hate lead-free solder though!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, by budude »

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, »

No argument on the merits of 63/37 (or at least 60/40) - but is it really used in production these days (at least the majority of stuff)? More and more final production units have to meet complete ROHS requirements. At my work we've had customers swap out all their gear (good for us!) to meet requirements for a  complete lead-free environment. I do hate lead-free solder though!

Times change and now not in the electronics industry anymore (retired). My Bad.  Got out when the ROHS stuff was starting to be required.  Home use is still with sn63 solder, the new stuff is just harder to make a quality solder joint for hobbyists.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, »
I also have the Weller WLC100 and checking my stash I have new ST1, ST2, ST3 and ST5 tips.  The one that I am currently using appears to be a ST3 and it works just fine on everything for Christmas.  I use the fine point ST1 or ST5 for my model railroad engines.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Christmasaddict

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, »
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  I decided to upgrade from the WLC100 to the WESD51 soldering station.  It has a digital display of the temperature.  It comes with an ETA tip and based on your feedback I will also order 2-3 other tips to go with it so I can determine which one works best for me.  At least now I have a better idea of which tips to try.