Author Topic: Itunes conversion  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Tigman009

Itunes conversion
« on: October 19, 2011, »
I bought a few songs on I tunes and cant figure out how to get LSP to see them.  any hints

Thanks

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: Itunes conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, »
Well, I'm not an LSP expert, but I suspect it is looking for mp3 or WAV files, not ACC, which is the format in which your iTunes files current exist. You need to figure out which format LSP prefers; I leave that to you.

Visit this web page and follow the instructions:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Note that while that page makes reference to setting an "import" preference, by changing that preference you are also then changing the "export" preference.

You can then export the kind of file that LSP likes.

\dmc

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, »
Songs you buy from the iTunes store may have copy protection and I don't think you will be able to convert those with iTunes itself. You could burn them to a CD then rip them to mp3, that is probably the easiest way, although you might lose a little quality that way.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, »
Songs you buy from the iTunes store may have copy protection and I don't think you will be able to convert those with iTunes itself. You could burn them to a CD then rip them to mp3, that is probably the easiest way, although you might lose a little quality that way.

Jeff:

I think you're wrong ... any song in your iTunes collection can be exported into any format you want.

I just chose a random song from my "Purchased" list and in less than 30 seconds made an MP3 out of it; it ended up in the same folder where the original M4a resided.

Also, while an true audiophile might hear the difference between a song ripped to a CD and then made an MP3 from that, anything that you were going to send out via an FM02 or similar would not have an appreciable enough deterioration to hear. And the issue would be between the various lossy compression technologies, not because it had an CD as an intermediary.

\dmc

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, »
It all depends on if the particular song has the DRM on it or not as to whether you can save it. I think most on iTunes store now do though, but there could be a song that doesn't and won't be saveable. And as for the CD conversion that is what I meant about might be lower quality, if you save it in mp3 format in too low a bitrate, it will be. The best would be to just convert to Wav format since that doesn't use compression, but the file size will be bigger. I was just trying not to be too technical.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline Tigman009

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, »
I tried the itunes convert to mp3 but it wouldnt work.  I was told of another program that is free and converted it to wav.  all seem to be working now.  thanks for the help

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, »
I know the issue was solved, but I though I would throw in some other methods that will work for anything you play on your computer.

I use Nero Wave Editor and can record "anything my computer plays" into a WAV File that is the same quality as the SOUND of the original.  In other words, if I make it sound good to my ears, then when I record it through the computer sound card and my good speakers, I get the same quality.  It's all pretty technical actually, but it works.

Here is a similar product that is totally free.  This is not an endorsement on the product, it's just an example of how one might capture music played on a computer and record it to an MP3 or WAV file.

I would also like to note, with a good WAV editor, one should be able to chop the Frequency Response of the music file to match the FM transmitter (in my case) 20Hz to 15KHz Audio Response capabilities.  What this does for your FM transmission is incredible music quality on the receiving end.  In other words, no distorsion of the transmitted frequencies in the music because the transmitter turns most anything outside of it specified Audio Response to garbage (noise).  I know, some FM Transmitters can filter that, but I would suspect most of us spend more money on lights than a $400 plus FM Transmitter.

<pop..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, »
Just a suggestion,  a LSP hard and fast rule is 44100hz, 16pit pcm, and 128 kbs and stereo for your music files or you will eventually have issues. Audacity usually does the fix to set all of these settings.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, »
Just a suggestion,  a LSP hard and fast rule is 44100hz, 16pit pcm, and 128 kbs and stereo for your music files or you will eventually have issues. Audacity usually does the fix to set all of these settings.

Good point especially for MP3 files.  I use all WAV files for the reasons I stated.  Once I figured out my FM Transmitters Audio Response specifications, and then filtered the music WAV files, the sound is unbelievably clear and crisp coming from my EDM FM transmitter.  If you tune to my station, you can't tell I'm an armature, Low Power, Non-License station out in front of my house.  I am so glad I got that unit.

<pop..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, »
This is the tool I use.  It allows me to convert protected songs into my favorite format so I can use it on my favorite device.  It works by creating up to 28 virtual sound ports, and plays up to 28 songs at a time to those ports, and converts the audio coming over those ports to that desired format.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, »
As someone that works in radio I truly appreciate a good broadcast.  There are some great tips in this thread on how to make your audio sound better.  Even I was disappointed hearing some produced audio bits over the FM transmitter that sounded fine in my studio.  Of course, that's another thread.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, »
Thats what makes this place so great to be a member of.  If someone has a problem there are plenty of folks out there willing to chime in and share a good thing with the rest of us.  It really is amazing how easy it is (with the right tools) to make music played through a computer sound card become a file of your choice.  And, it is so very important that Blinky Blink music sound as good as possible to your target audiance.  People out in front of your yard will appreciate all your hard work...

<pop..

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, »

Good point especially for MP3 files.  I use all WAV files for the reasons I stated.  Once I figured out my FM Transmitters Audio Response specifications, and then filtered the music WAV files, the sound is unbelievably clear and crisp coming from my EDM FM transmitter.  If you tune to my station, you can't tell I'm an armature, Low Power, Non-License station out in front of my house.  I am so glad I got that unit.

<pop..

Hi CJ, where did you buy your EDM Transmitter? Sounds like I might have to upgrade.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, »

<pop..

Hi CJ, where did you buy your EDM Transmitter? Sounds like I might have to upgrade.

I am extremely impressed with this Transmitter.  I bought EDM-LCD-CS-EP, 100mW PCB, Parts, Antenna, Regulated 12V PSU, Includes metal enclosure, Adjustable RF output, 1-10mW and 2-100mW.

It's important that you have a metal case, so do not operate an FM Transmitter without a metal case, you will be disappointed in performance.

It cost me $159.00 and I bought it directly from EDM's web site at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It took about 10 days to get here.  The postage on the box came from California, I don't remember the exact address, but it didn't come all the way from South Africa to my door directly.

Mine already had the PIC chip installed, so all I had to do was solder in the Power Cord adapter and go to Radio Shack and get some adapters to connect my CB Coax from the PL259 to an RCA jack.  It was easy and EDM answers your email spot on.  There is nothing bad I have to say about this unit.  For the money, it's outstanding.  I build my own 1/4 ground plane antenna, see the WiKi on FM Transmitters and I turned down the RF output to 1mW and get exceptionally good performance.  You won't be disappointed.

<pop..
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, by Christmas.joe »
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, »
There are more than several software packages that can do the conversions.  I used the NCH program called Switch Sound File Converter.  It only has a 14 day trial for free but it worked for my songs this year.  There were plenty other choices though as I said earlier.