Author Topic: Not live yet.  (Read 2215 times)

Offline therealbigjim

Not live yet.
« on: November 25, 2011, »
Not live yet after two days of putting up lights.  The spiral  tree I decided to do is kicking my butt the 80 pound fish line does not look like it will hold the weight of 32 strings of led lights. Tie strapping rope light to exploding stars is time consuming. I wish I had more done.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rimist

Re: Not live yet.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, »
If it's any consolation, you are way ahead of me
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, »
I planned to be 100% up and running thursday.   So, behind...

I JUST managed to get my tree trunk standing tonight -- and got the strings hanging from the "crown" so that they can be hoisted up in the morning.  I still have NO sequences done... I don't know where to start with LSP to get the pixelnet going so that I can use transitions to do all of the work for me... :)

Then, there is the rest of my display, still in the boxes.  I'm guessing I am another week or more before I am up and going with the rest of the yard since I need to go back in the office... I have to pay for the pixels. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, »
Well lemme tell you....  Been working on my display all month long.  My go live date was suppose to be last night.  When I called down to my local electrical supply shop yesterday for yet more zip cord they told me they got more vampire plugs in too.  Great...  They weren't suppose to be in till Monday....

So.....  My goal yesterday was to finish putting up the elements I could with what supplies I had.  Needless to say I had not compensated for doing EVERYTHING I had left do do yesterday...  Long story short...  Testing night last night....  I still have 2 wreaths to hang, two light towers to wire up, a sign to hang and wiring to do still... 

Oh yeah.. And sequencing....  never ending sequencing.  Still don't have the hang of that one.  IMO that's what's going to destroy my whole show.  I can't seem to get the sequencing down even with piecing it together from samples and other shows.

So...  I hear ya....  We are in the same boat....  And now the wife wants to add MORE lights.... WHAT!?!?!?!?  11,500 lights and she wants more!!!! grrrrrrr

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, »
When my sequencing bogs down at opening night I usually make a quick color changing sequence that does nothing but change the colors every 15 seconds.  I put that into an endless loop and let it rip until I get a couple of sequences ready to go.  At least I have lights.  Sometimes it will be a week before I am comfortable enough with my show to let it run.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline egenoup

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, »
I started out 4 years ago with some 32 channel "borrowed" sequences and have been adding and changing them ever since.  So much that I can almost call them "mine".  The point is, you do not have to start from scratch if you do not want to and in a pinch you can get your show running with a few cut and pastes.   Send me a private PM and I would be willing to share my sequences.  legally you will have to go and purchase the songs. But those can be had for one or two bucks on amazon, rapsody, itunes... Your pick.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, »
Most of my lights have been on at 50% since Thanksgiving. The show might start on the 1st but no later then the 6th

Any guesses why the 6th :)

I still have more to add to the front, install the speakers and verify I have everything on the correct channel, roof is mostly done (Just got done replacing some sets that twinkle on their own, they drove me nuts). Back yard I have to fix the deer and secure the snowman and Santa (they just light up a dark yard, not part of the show)

Cheers

Rick R.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kjam22

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, »
Well at least it is good to see that I am not the only one.  I finished setting up everything on Wednesday but have not had time to do full testing.  I still have to finish my sequencing.  Oddly enough, we have been in a drought in Houston since January, now it rains everyday!  I am not comfortable with running my equip in the rain.  Looks like I will have to wait another day for testing.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, »
Well this is night #2.  Finally...  Added some sequencing too....  Cutting and pasting has worn me down....  Still not happy with the final show so I'll be adjusting it probably the rest of the show season. lol  Still have one song to sequence.  I'll get to it eventually. :)

Had some issues last night but had someone stop and watch while I was out there watching the show myself just to make sure everything was o.k. and it wasn't.  Had a media file not found issue then an express comm issue.  Looks like everything is going now though.  I'll check on it here again shortly.  Raining now too.  Gonna see how this runs and then determine if I'll shut it down.  It's only a light rain right now.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, »
I hear you all brothers!  I have my mini trees up, windows wrapped, pathway lined, my mega tree is built but is missing the clips for the bottom ring (on order, they delayed shipping 3 days! GRR.  Have to wait until Wednesday to finish my mega tree with 4 colors).  Never got my Aether IIs working so I swapped them for my less impressive rainbow spots (not to mention the re-sequencing since the rainbows do not have white).  The home stretch is in sight.  I have 5 songs sequenced (well 4 and my little helper is still working on hers!  *smile*.)  My goal is to not get second place (like I did in my neighborhood light competition last year).  First or nothing baby!  I live in a townhouse so i have to be creative with the limited yard space.

Stick with it all.  It really does bring such joy to the entire neighborhood! 

Make sure to post pics and videos.
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, »
Rain is keeping me from finishing.  Just got an email from a friend who asked if I was doing a show this year since he drove by this weekend and no lights...   

Plan to finish sequencing, solder my aethers, make some RJ45 cables while it is still raining.  Might get a chance Thurs to do lights but I am sure it will be a muddy mess.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, »
I took off work to finish hanging everything today.  Big storm going to hit tomorrow and Wednesday.  Show is pretty much up now (just minor things like - strobes and a single spot for our sign).  Just worked out a few kinks and quirks with Vixen show manager.

------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, »
this post should be required reading for people doing blinky flashy for the very first time...   lol
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline crazybob

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, »

No, but now I am curious...

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, »

No, but now I am curious...

LOL check this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

See if that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required