Author Topic: FM Transmitter FCC Rules & Regualations  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
FM Transmitter FCC Rules & Regualations
« on: January 15, 2012, »
This has come up in various other threads for good reasons, we should all be aware of what is expected of us and complying with the FCC Rules & Regulations.  I took it upon myself to start this topic to have a uniform location for anyone interested.  I think it's important we work together here in trying to understand what will keep us out of trouble.

Some things I would like to start with are:

1.  Intentional radiators - What does this mean?
2.  How do you test your transmission?
3.  Willful and repeated transmissions and your intention.
4.  Does it matter how much power your unit puts out or is it what comes out the antenna that counts?
5.  The specific Rules that apply to us who transmit on "Non-licensed, Low Power, FM Transmitters".
6.  What does Forfeiture mean to you with regard to these laws?
7.  FM Kits or anything used that is not FCC Certified, are we ok to do this, legally?

This is just a start and your input will help us all try to get a better understanding of how to stay out of trouble.  Facts and quotes from the Law are welcome.  The reason I say this is because in front of the Judge, your opinions will mean nothing once there is evidence on what you did, when you did it, why you did it and the way you did it.

And please show  <res. in your posts -  this could be a touchy subject.

I'll give a really good link on 47 C.F.R. PART 15—RADIO FREQUENCY DEVICES
Title 47 - Telecommunication You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

<pop..

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: FM Transmitter FCC Rules & Regualations
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, »
Joe:

My favorite FCC document regarding low-power transmission is a 1991, typed on a sheet of paper thing:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm sure that there is something newer out there, but as far as I have been able to research, it is still considered accurate: 0.01 microwatt and a 200-foot radius. I think the radius trumps the wattage.

As I've said on this forum and others many times before, a 200-foot radius in most suburban settings means that your transmitter should be completely unheard about two-three houses away. If you can be heard four or more houses away, you are breaking the law. Limit your signal through antenna placement or the use of an attenuator.

And if you live in the country and your house is more than 200 feet away from the road, I would say that you are still breaking the law if your transmitter and antenna are at the house and the signal can be heard at the road. Limit the signal and move the transmitter and antenna closer to the road.

As I've also written before, if you research FCC practice, it is apparent that prosecutions only come about after complaints (usually extensive complaints) and usually only after multiple requests to cease and desist. While it's a debatable stance, I would say that if you are asked to stop transmitting by anyone (neighbor, local official, FCC), you should stop transmitting immediately.

And as I've cautioned frequently, I am not a lawyer and certainly not one who practices before the FCC; please do not construe what I've written as legal advice. If you are concerned about your rights to broadcast an unlicensed radio signal, please consult an experienced broadcast attorney.

\dmc

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, »
I agree with dmc, a good rule of thumb to follow is if you can hear your broadcast four or more houses away then you are most likely breaking the law under this rule.  My transmitter is rated at 0.2 Watts.  When the antenna that comes with the unit is used, my range is approximately 1-2 houses away - which is perfect for my set up.  However, if one were to use clip leads and hook a tv antenna to the transmitter, theoretically of course, the same .2 Watt transmitter could broadcast 1/4 - 1/2 mile away.  ;D

Back to Joe's question of how do you test your transmission?  With very expensive and not readily available equipment.  They test the "radiation" at a certain distance to determine if you're in compliance.

I think when the FCC talks about "repeated" transmissions, they are talking about re-broadcasting.  For instance, in Colorado, Denver is the main media market.  However, because there are smaller mountain towns that can be serviced by the Denver media, repeaters are used to get Denver stations in say Aspen or Vail.  So, "repeated" transmissions do not refer to repeating the same show over and over, it refers to repeating/simulcasting another frequency's broadcast.

Those are the topics I can speak to.  You've raised some good questions/topics for discussion!

Steve
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, by mms »
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, »
An Intentional Radiator is a device specifically designed to transmit a RF signal.  In our case that is the FM transmitter.  An unintentional radiator is an electronic device that operates with clock frequencies above 9 KHz (yes kilohertz) and generates RF energy that could cause interference.  A PC is a prime example.  (Of course the Bluetooth and WiFi features of a PC are considered intentional radiators.)  That 2.4 GHz CPU is an unintentional radiator!  Part 15 of the FCC rules covers unintentional radiators and almost everything using digital electronics sold in the US must comply with Part 15.

Offline rm357

FM Transmitter FCC Rules & Regualations
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, »
One of the things I noticed this year is that it seems like my ss mega tree interfered with my radio transmitter. The range this year was significantly less and if the tree was running and the fm transmitter was not, I got a low frequency hum on the station I was using - 89.9 FM.

My range was still more than 4 houses in any direction...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Timon

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, »
Ramsey sums it up fairly well here.

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, »
I've read somewhere that folks say they just won't let the FCC come in without a Search Warrent.  After reading from the FCC You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, you may not want try this approach.  I have corrected my comment in another post that implied this was a good thing: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Q: The FCC Agent standing at my door does not have a search warrant, so I don't have to let him in, right?

A: Wrong. Search warrants are needed for entry involving criminal matters. One of the requirements as a licensee, or non-licensee subject to the Commission's Rules, is to allow inspection of your radio equipment by FCC personnel. Whether you operate an amateur station or any other radio device, your authorization from the Commission comes with the obligation to allow inspection. Even radio stations licensed under a "blanket" rule or approval, such as Citizen's Band (CB) Radio, are subject to the Commission's inspection requirement.

Failure to allow inspection forecloses the opportunity to resolve the problem. Thus, refusal to allow inspection is a serious challenge to the Commission's authority to inspect radio stations and is a violation of the Rules. Such a refusal may lead to revocation of a license, maximum monetary forfeiture, or other Commission sanctions.

Section 303(n) of the Communications Act gives the FCC this authority AND THEY DON'T REQUIRE A SEARCH WARRENT.

I have more very interesting facts to share and it has to do with Three Areas.

NOUO: Notice Of Unlicensed Operation
NAL: Notice Of Apparent Liability For Forfeiture (This is the court document that explains your guilt and how much you will be order to pay)
FORFIETTURE ORDER: Issued either at NAL or very soon after.

On the bright side, after reviewing hundreds of NOUO's and NAL's, I have not seen anyone get busted for Xmas Light Shows as far as I can tell.  It looks like these people that got busted are because they admitted to knowing, they refused to let the FCC inspect,  and they had a lot of power (over 1 watt).  More later.

<pop..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, by Christmas.joe »
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, »
On the bright side, after reviewing hundreds of NOUO's and NAL's, I have not seen anyone get busted for Xmas Light Shows as far as I can tell.  It looks like these people that got busted are because they admitted to knowing, they refused to let the FCC inspect,  and they had a lot of power (over 1 watt).  More later.

Yes, as I said earlier, my research indicates that prosecution comes only after multiple complaints and multiple orders to desist. I was pretty sure about the no search warrant issue as well, so thanks Joe for doing the legwork to find it.

As I have said before, my overall concern is this: that a Christmas light-show enthusiast transmits at excessive power, a (probably series of) complaints ensues, and the enthusiast decides (unwisely) to take a stand against the FCC.

This might put a germ of an idea into the head of inspectors all around the country -- visit Christmas light shows and shut them down if they're out of spec.

\dmc

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, »
it's always one bad apple to spoil the bushel
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, »
First off, the FCC website is wrong on one point.  The search warrant is required where the government wants to search your house or property.  It doesn't matter if it is civil or criminal.  Any first year law student knows that.  So that is misinformation.  See, that didn't take long to find something wrong....I'm sure there is more.

47 U.S.C. 303(n) Both Section 303(n) of the Act, and the Rules which implement the Act, grant the right to inspect MOST installations.  What is most?  I don't know.  I would argue I'm not most.

Now, the FCC has claimed its authority for a warrantless search on its website.  At some point, they will pull this crap on someone and the Supreme Court will hear the case and the FCC will lose.  My position is still the same, you are the government and you want to search my home...that is a 4th Amendment issue....get a search warrant....pound sand.  Slap me with a fine, I'll fight it and I bet $1,000,000 I win. 

Here's the kicker, the Supreme Court has made a decision on this, but it didn't directly relate to the FCC.  The Gomers at the FCC have not done their due diligence.  I'll hide behind the Camara decision in 1967.  In fact, I'm keeping this next to my transmitter.  Talk about making a field agent's head spin when his boss his tell him one thing and the Supreme Court (his real boss) is tell him something else.  His head might explode.  I'll giggle as he hands me the fine and I hand him the case to read in the car.

Why wouldn't the do it if they can get away with it?  It makes their job easier.  The government does this all the time, they throw something out there and they hope it is Constitutional.  If it isn't, what happens to them?  Nothing.  So why wouldn't they continue to do it until the Supreme Court tells them to stop.  If I was in their shoes, I would do the same.  Even though the FCC is wrong, I don't blame them for doing it.

See guys you must remember the people making the rules at the FCC are not lawyers.  They don't know or understand the law and the Constitution.  I would be surprise if most have never read a single case or know where to find a case.  Be smarter than them.  I tend to believe my schooling, previous case law and law professors before I believe the FCC about the law.  Call me weird......

I'm no lawyer and this is not legal advice so consult with an attorney.

I guess I write this like I'm going to be transmitting miles and miles...I won't.  I will make every effort to comply with the law 100%.  But, I'm always prepared for problems that may arise. 

"The FCC claims it derives its warrantless search power from the Communications Act of 1934, though the constitutionality of the claim has gone untested in the courts. That’s largely because the FCC had little to do with average citizens for most of the last 75 years, when home transmitters were largely reserved to ham-radio operators and CB-radio aficionados. But in 2009, nearly every household in the United States has multiple devices that use radio waves and fall under the FCC’s purview, making the commission’s claimed authority ripe for a court challenge."

“It is a major stretch beyond case law to assert that authority with respect to a private home, which is at the heart of the Fourth Amendment’s protection against unreasonable search and seizure,” says Electronic Frontier Foundation lawyer Lee Tien. “When it is a private home and when you are talking about an over-powered Wi-Fi antenna — the idea they could just go in is honestly quite bizarre.”

"George Washington University professor Orin Kerr, a constitutional law expert, also questions the legalilty of the policy."

“The Supreme Court has said that the government can’t make warrantless entries into homes for administrative inspections,” Kerr said via e-mail, refering to a 1967 Supreme Court ruling that housing inspectors needed warrants to force their way into private residences. The FCC’s online FAQ doesn’t explain how the agency gets around that ruling, Kerr adds.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, by gatorengineer »

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, »
dma, yes and everyone of them had REPEATED their broadcast.  The FCC also used Direction Finding Techniques to locate the source.  As an example, in many of the NAL's they reference the violation as X frequency, measured at X microvolts per meter at X meters.  One example had 96.1 MHZ measured at 6,545 microvolts per meter at 764 meters, which exceeded the maximum permitted level of 250 microvolts at 3 meters.  None of them said anything about because they where broadcasting over 200 ft.  It's all about the measured power at a distance, per the rule, not the Public Notice.  The Public Notice is never referenced.  A Public Notice is nothing more than a requirement that the Government post information on (in laymans terms) to help understand the actual law or rule.  It's basically a guide to help and not the actual requirements of the law.

<pop..
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline Christmas.joe

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, »
Gator, thanks for the great legwork and it is very interesting.  I also have a nice link that may be helpful on what our right are.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Go the the section: WHEN THE FCC KNOCKS ON YOUR DOOR.

It seems to be pretty good and if I had any document sitting next to me during Xmas FM broadcasting, it would be this one and what Gator recommends.  <res.

Basically, once they get your scent, you do have rights, but those rights probably won't protect the final disposition on your wallet.  :o

That's why I think these topics are so important to read.  We don't want them knocking at our door, we want to feel good about what we are doing and keeping it low power, really low power is one way.

Good find Gator!

<pop..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, by Christmas.joe »
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, »
it probably goes without saying to keep the broadcast clean...   as in explicit lyrics. (yes, thee are christmas songs that have them...)

that might be the fastest way to get a complaint
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, »
See guys you must remember the people making the rules at the FCC are not lawyers.

Actually, they're almost *all* lawyers. Currently, there are three FCC commissioners; from the FCC web site:

>>Genachowski received a J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1991 (magna cum laude), and served as co-Notes Editor of the Harvard Law Review.

>>McDowell was graduated cum laude from Duke University in 1985. After serving as chief legislative aide to a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, he attended the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary.

President Obama has nominated two lawyers to fill vacancies on the commission; from WhiteHouse.gov:

>>Mr. Pai holds a B.A. from Harvard University and a J.D. from the University of Chicago.

>>Ms. Rosenworcel received a B.A. from Wesleyan University and a J.D. from New York University School of Law.

Assuming Pai and Rosenworcel pass Senate muster (they will), lawyers will hold four of the five seats.

\dmc

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, »
Not to picking fly dung out of pepper, but graduating law school does not make you a lawyer.  That is why I am not a lawyer...I never sat for the bar and may not do so.

If these guys are pushing out the rules on the website (which I don't know if they are) and they are law school graduates, they should be ashamed of themselves.  As a corollary to my last post, it might be whey they are doing it.  They do it because they know there is no repercussion from it.  They will do it until someone tells them to stop.  Personally I think it's disgusting and appalling.  But, I guess I actually care about those around me and how my decisions affect other people.  ((STOP DRIVING IN THE LEFT LANE WHEN OTHERS ARE TRYING TO GET AROUND YOU!!!))  Ok, I digress.     <yk..

Oh well, it was fun reading.  Thanks for the fun banter guys.  I'm sticking with my position.  If I get slapped with $14k fine, I'll fight it (I highly doubt I do because I won't hang my cajones out there that far).  I'd love to argue in front of the Supreme Court.  For $14k, it would be worth it.

Again, I'm no attorney and never claim to be one, so I would consult with an attorney before accepting any legal advice.