Author Topic: only good thing about freezing rain!  (Read 968 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
only good thing about freezing rain!
« on: December 06, 2013, »
there is only one good thing about freezing rain and ice, plenty of time to sit in the house and get some much needed sequencing done! 4 out of 6 songs from last year are converted and finished with the new rgb effects and the new mega tree. should have the other 2 done today which means I might actually get to start a few new songs.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

Re: only good thing about freezing rain!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, »
As long as the weight of the ice doesn't pull your mega-tree down ....   >:D
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

true that. it's hanging tough so far. the test will be the 6 inches of snow that has followed the ice.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, »

true that. it's hanging tough so far. the test will be the 6 inches of snow that has followed the ice.

Ouch, and we were close to 80 today.  Even now at 10:30Pm it is still 70.  Too bad it ain't gonna last.  Tomorrow the temp will drop as the day goes on and Sun will have a high in the upper 30's with rain and freezing rain all day.  It should warm up and clear up a little on Monday so I hope that by Monday night I can finish the outside display.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, »
Dang! That's a crazy swing. This week we were lucky and almost 60 degrees.  Just got in 10min ago looking at a candy cane with a shot mini in it and the temps fell to mid 20s. Rain/snow mix -  3" then next week. 

Did get a couple of sequences cleaned up tonight. Tomorrow I fix that bad candy cane ( why when one light goes out they all  go out?)
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, »
Because they are in series.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, »
And the bridge didn'tjump over.  I gotta say, the light keeper pro mak it much easier to find and fix many of these issues.  The trigger doesn't always work and will not work when the issue is a loose or missing bulb or a broken wire but once you get used to using the voltge detector and make use of the bulb tester, the repairs happen much faster.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, »
Wifey has a little tree she loves with 50 minis and of course it didn't light.  Lightkeeper Pro happened to be out so I figured what the heck and hit the trigger a few times and it worked!!!  I must have tried that 1,000 times and that is the first time it ever worked...

Maybe I'm the only one but I sequence heavy during the season and manage to add a few more songs before it's over. 

Hope everyone in the path of the storm is safe and has a good time sequencing!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, »
Ok. I'll pull out the little red gun I have and see if it works. I'll spare up a few canes today from HomeDepot when I'm out and about. Can't believe ididn't think of getting a few extras.

As for more sequences. I have so many unfinished pieces of work there. Redid another 4 last night and added 2 new ones. Mind you for this year I'm what many would call cheating. Taking existing vix and LOR sequences, importing them and making them fit in my show.  Then bring them to nutcracker where I then again try to repurpose timing marks and use locked down random effects. Takes me about 3 hours start to finish for a sequence this way.

If I'm lucky by the end of the weekend I will have 10 songs that I'm really happy with. The wife is making me add two songs. Which I'll gladly do as she is now starting to really come around to the setup.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, »
OK...so now I know how part of that tool works. push the button, if it beeps that means no power. move to the next side of the mini...continue until you find a mini that beeps on one side and quiet on the other. then pull that light, put in new one. connect power. booya! back in business.

Now I have two spare CCs just in case (or to add to next years show and push my limits again!).

OH....and on my adventures, I learned about antennas and how big of one I need. this afternoon I'm going to replace the vast default antenna that's like 10" long with one that's closer to 29 inches. That should get things working ALOT better for my radio station.

OK - back at 'er.

cheers!
Ryan
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline arw01

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, »
post pictures of your antenna, that was on today's list, but I got sidetracked with a SSR that will not take a new start channel.  I'm hoping some little board angle will send me the location in the hex of the start channel so i can permanently fix the issue with a simple reprogram of the pic!

Offline drlucas

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, »
Here it is. It is 29" high. Base is a crazy magnet sitting on the central vac machine in the garage.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline arw01

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, »
Ok, so you have some coax coming out of the radio and literally a wire antenna like from a car.

Alan

Offline drlucas

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, »
Yup... I got these three things below....the whip, the pigtail and the magnet. These all go into my vast usb device which connects into the raspberry pi for playback.

-Ryan Lucas-