Author Topic: Help with Audacity  (Read 2058 times)

Offline kernal

Help with Audacity
« on: June 13, 2014, »
How do i cut and paste certain parts of a file into a new file?
My license plate says blinky.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: Help with Audacity
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, »
Are u talking about custing and pasting mp3 files?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, »
For editing down a song in audacity, my very crude process is as follows:

1-load song (original) FILE-->OPEN (select your audio file)
2-listen to song and use zoom in/out to focus on a fairly tight range if needed -- you might decide on a target length or just evaluate which sections you could remove and still get a new song that you like.
3-highlight sections you want to remove with mouse (highlight waveform with mouse selecting left to right side)
   - you can listen to the selection before deleting to make sure you nailed the part you want to remove
   - adjust as necessary by moving starting or ending range of selection with mouse, a finger appears as you adjust either side
   - finally you happy with the range selected for removal
4-click delete to remove
5-now click the waveform "just before the beginning of deleted section " and listen (play it) to the transition ... often you need to adjust till it sounds right or is "on the beat", etc.
   - if you don't like it, then undo the delete (CNTL-Z) and modify selection, then re-delete, re-listen, repeat till you like it, undo is your friend, re-adjust selections you remove.
6-once you are done removing sections, you may need to add a fade out effect at the end
7-FILE--> EXPORT (selection new name and format)
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kernal

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, »
OK so what I want to do is take portions of different songs, and combine them into 1 long song.  I am contemplating on making a show that is ...  say... 12 minutes long and having it start every 15 minutes.  In "hopes" that it will cut down on the traffic issues since i live on a dead end.  We havent had any issues yet, but I have noticed more and more ppl stopping by to see the show.  Thoughts?

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, »
Nice quick and simple tutorial series. (If your new to Audacity watch the whole series). These two will show you how to align tracks and then export them.

Audacity - Part 4 - aligning multiple tracks and volume adjustment

Audacity - Part 5 - Exporting the final track in MP3 format

If you need more advanced information there are literally hundreds of video tutorials for combining and mixing audio with Audacity.

Good Luck
Ron
Luceat lux vestra

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, »
I personally think just eliminating any publicity goes the furthest for traffic control. Word of mouth will increase it.    Depends how dense your local population is also.   I'm not a fan of mixes as the show players allow you to do the same and it's not written on stone .    A really short 1-2 song schedule move traffic faster than one preset 15min show ... You need a way to shorten it .    Keep each song as short as possible.   Once it repeats most people leave.   Some leave after only a song or two.   Attention span these days is more and more limited, IMHO.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, »
I also think that one long song is not the way to go.  What happens when you want to change one in the middle or add another one.  All the schedulers I am familiar with allow you to play one song after another.  Also with one long song the sequence file will be humongous and may be unmanagemable.  You need to think twice or more about what you are trying to accomplish.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kernal

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, »
Yeah i never really thought about the file size.  I think i will try it, as a test this summer sometime and see how it goes.  And its true the attention span for ppl is slim if at all...    Probly end up staying with a handful of songs...  Thx for the input!

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, »
Try a daily rotation. 4 or 5 songs and change the group each day for several days. I have people that come by every day stay for a song or two and leave. Have a classic day, rocker day, religious day etc...
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, »
If traffic gets bad, you cut it down to one or two songs.   I used to mix in a short schedule of just top 3 songs during peak hours and run it a few times ... And it clears everyone out.   Then you resume the regular schedule.   On Christmas Eve a minimal set of songs is used to keep it under control.

Offline Ryan Johnson

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, »
Try a daily rotation. 4 or 5 songs and change the group each day for several days. I have people that come by every day stay for a song or two and leave. Have a classic day, rocker day, religious day etc...

That's our approach as well.  We have a different theme each night and we get a lot of returning visitors because they know they can come by on a different day and see/hear something new.

Monday- Christmas Classics (old standbys)
Tuesday- Modern Classics (TSO and Mannheim)
Wednesday- Rock N Roll Christmas
Thursday- Country Christmas
Friday- Movie Night (no Christmas just iconic movie themes- BIG hit!)
Saturday/Sunday- Mash day (combines everything)

One note in terms of song length: we have 3 songs over 8 minutes and another medley of the Movie themes.  So it's not impossible but it can become unruly for sure.

Best of luck!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, »
Monday- Christmas Classics (old standbys)
Tuesday- Modern Classics (TSO and Mannheim)
Wednesday- Rock N Roll Christmas
Thursday- Country Christmas
Friday- Movie Night (no Christmas just iconic movie themes- BIG hit!)
Saturday/Sunday- Mash day (combines everything)

I still don't quite have enough sequence inventory to pull off seven distinct shows a week:

*Mondays and Thursdays — Orchestral

*Tuesdays and Fridays — Jazz

*Wednesdays and Saturdays — Pop

*Sundays — Everything.

Save Sunday, each show is about 15 minutes, with six songs in each show. A show has an introduction voiceover and a mid-show voiceover, about 60 seconds each. So the songs are all right around two minutes; I shorten them if I have to.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline kernal

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, »
I dont have the inventory "YET", but i will be trying my but off!  That is a GREAT idea!  Thank you Ryan!

Offline drlucas

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, »
Time to start a share your sequence thread complete with Dropbox locations to help build up the inventory. The movie night idea is awesome!!
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, »
Movie night with a projector from the FPP, more options
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login