Author Topic: 5050 strips  (Read 1663 times)

Offline MSL

• So many lights, so little time!
    • 26streetlights
5050 strips
« on: July 20, 2014, »
OK. I should have asked this before I jumped in but could not pass up the deal.

I am new to RGB. I purchased a couple of Zeus 16 string controllers. As I understand these controllers will run the WS2811 chipset. If that is true will these strips work?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

MSL
Holiday Lights in Plantation, Florida

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Our show can be seen on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: 5050 strips
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, »
12V WS2811 should work.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, »
12V WS2811 should work.

Thanks Steve.

Over 20,000 LED and RGB lights. We currently are running 3020 channels (320 Lynx Express / 2700 RGB Zeus and Smart String channels / 3 Aethers II).

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, »
Just a heads up, if you are using WS2811 STRIPS then understand that each 3 LEDs will act as one pixel, unlike the TM1809 strings which have one pixel=one LED..
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, »
Thanks again Steve,

I am looking at buying some TM1809 strings from Ray for my mega tree. I'm just getting into the RGB lights. Don't need to waste my money on lights that I cant use. These looked like a deal.

Mark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, »
As Steve said, the lights in this strip work in groups of three so some of the effects may not look quite right.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, »
I was thinking of using them for arches where I would be bunching several LED sections together anyway. For that purpose I don't think it is an issue but thanks for pointing it out.

I paid about $1.20 a meter. From Ray I would be paying $15.52 per meter (including shipping). I could not pass up the deal. Of course, like I said before, it is only a deal if they work with the controller.

Mark

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, »
ON the arches they should be fine, but don't use them on the megatrees. 

I created 10 groups (of 12 pixels each) on each of my 120 node 1809 flex strip arches.  I've never used them as 120 pixels, just because I originally was sequencing them in LOR (using xlights/nutcracker now).

They look good, IMHO, and with 10 RGB segments are easier to sequence.   So I'd use them for that purpose.

Be careful in the future to not chase a low price or the cheapest technology of the month.  You can easily end up with lights that don't match, the colors may be different for the same RGB mix, intensitys may vary ... just saying, KISS principle is your friend here.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, »
Yep, those were a deal and worth a shot.  I would try them and use them on all but a mega tree.  All my house outline strips are 1809 and I think a bit overkill and wish I did them with 2811. 

Would be interested in some to fool with if you want to part with any.     
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, »
I was thinking of using them for arches where I would be bunching several LED sections together anyway. For that purpose I don't think it is an issue but thanks for pointing it out.

I paid about $1.20 a meter. From Ray I would be paying $15.52 per meter (including shipping). I could not pass up the deal. Of course, like I said before, it is only a deal if they work with the controller.

Mark

I am curious what lights you got from ray that are $15.52 a meter? I have never seen prices that high.

The 1809 flex strips that we use here on DLA

are $10.50 / meter

This last year i just added ws2811 12v flex strips. i use them for arches, candles, eaves. They are $4/meter. This is currently the lowest cost I found per meter.

So Ray's ws2811 is $4/meter you got the same lights at $1.20/meter , quite a deal!
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, »

Mark

I am curious what lights you got from ray that are $15.52 a meter? I have never seen prices that high.

The 1809 flex strips that we use here on DLA

are $10.50 / meter

This last year i just added ws2811 12v flex strips. i use them for arches, candles, eaves. They are $4/meter. This is currently the lowest cost I found per meter.

So Ray's ws2811 is $4/meter you got the same lights at $1.20/meter , quite a deal!

The OP is factoring in the shipping from Ray to get to the $15 / meter. 

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, »
Yes. I factored in the shipping. What I see (and have seen) is the cost of the lights are affordable. The shipping is the killer.

Mark

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
5050 strips
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, »
$15/meter means 5m ws2811 costs $75 each? $20 flex strip , $55 shipping per strip? I ordered 10 flex strips total cost was around $400 not $750. If ray is charging triple the flex cost I just have not seen that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MSL

• 26streetlights
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, »
$15/meter means 5m ws2811 costs $75 each? $20 flex strip , $55 shipping per strip? I ordered 10 flex strips total cost was around $400 not $750. If ray is charging triple the flex cost I just have not seen that.

No. Ray is not tripling his price. The WS2811 flex strips you showed from Ray:

Cost $20.00 for 5 meters plus $20.08 shipping. If you were to only buy one string it would cost you $8.02 per meter shipped ($40.08 / 5).

Sean, I don't know what you paid per strip last year. If you take what Ray wants today and do the calculations at 10 lots the items cost $420.00. The shipping calculator on Rays site shows a shipping cost of $45.19. The 10 lots with shipping would cost $465.19 ($420.00+$45.19) or about $9.30 per meter ($465.19 / 50) shipped. That is close to what you paid for them last year.

The $15.52 per meter that I stated were for the 1809 flex strips per meter shipped, not the WS2811. I did not look on Rays site for the WS2811 flex strip when I first posted. I just calculated the 1809 flex strip that are shown in the Wiki.