Hardware > Other Projects

DIY Lightning Controller

(1/4) > >>

i1uhrace:
I would love to see someone come up with a DIY lightning controller similar to the Firefly or the i-Zombie controllers. they look like great controllers but a little too expensive for my budget.
Does anyone know of anyone that has done this or possibly something RJ would want to investigate?

dmoore:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI would love to see someone come up with a DIY lightning controller similar to the Firefly or the i-Zombie controllers. they look like great controllers but a little too expensive for my budget.
Does anyone know of anyone that has done this or possibly something RJ would want to investigate?

--- End quote ---

While there are some slight differences between the dlight FireFli (de-centralized) vs the SmartString system (semi-centeralized), SmartStrings can do the same thing and I'd venture to say even easier (waterproofing) and at a lower cost.  There are other centralized pixel controllers (not DIYLA) if you want something "exactly" like the FireFli.

i1uhrace:
I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

caretaker:
Your talking about a "Lightning Simulator" where lights flash or flicker and a brief moment later and audio source plays the lightning strike. The simplest versions of these just use a stereo recording such as a CD with the track offset slight from each other and the leading track is fed into a single channel color organ circuit which flashes the lights to the amplitude of the track and the lagging track is fed into a amplifier and speakers. What makes the Fire Fly (not related to D-Lights Fire-Fli) more impressive is they use a microprocessor to add extra effects such as a simulated brown out (light dims down for a short amount of time then goes back to full brightness) and some other effects plus having higher wattage outputs. 
   I'm sure some of the bright minds here could come up with something similar it's just a question of demand.

packetbob:
I plan on using my Aethers to simulate lightning for Halloween....
Assuming I get them built before then...
I'm pretty sure that the update speed of DMX will allow for such short events but I'm not sure....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version