Author Topic: LOR and smart strings  (Read 3886 times)

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
LOR and smart strings
« on: May 07, 2012, »
After this last weekends meeting in Colorado, i learned there are people on this forum who have gotten pixelnet to work with LOR software. I think i heard that if you get dmx out of LOR and have a usb dongle with pixelnet, then you can getsmart strings to work.

I also heard that LOR does not yet offer E1.31 (planned for the summer)

The reason i ask is that i post nutcracker across 7 forums, one of them LOR. I was pm'ed a question about LOR and pixelnet and did not feel qualified to answer.

For those who have gotten pixelent to work, is there a picture or a thread somewhere describing it?

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

Re: LOR and smart strings
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, »
My guess is they were programming using LOR and using Xlights as their show software which did work with pixelnet.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, »
I would agree - xLights.  The LOR channels would not accept the higher numbers for Pixelnet. 512 is the highest it will go.

xLights "cheats" so it works. :)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
LOR and smart strings
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, »
Just use lor and xlights ... I see no compelling reason to use the lor player over xlights ... And xlights is getting better this year !
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
LOR and smart strings
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, »
While I still enjoy sequencing with lor software, . It was getting really sluggish with 4300 channels I
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, »
So quick question, if you want to use the sequencing in LOR for your pixelnet, how would you label your channels, just dont add a device, and just add however many number of channels you will have as a whole, and then once the sequencing is done, do an export into x-lights?  This is where I have been struggling.  I have been an LOR user for a few years but just started adding the Etherdongle, 7 flex strips, etc etc, but since LOR only works in dmx universes I have hit a road block.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

I am at a loss, I know LSP a little, but if I don't have to spend all my time getting all the quirks down of another sequencer that would be preferable! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
LOR and smart strings
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, »
Wouldn't the CCR program work from LOR, or am I talking nonsense (?).  The thought behind the CCR is just like the SSC correct?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, »
Well but for that you have to buy the special upgraded software, I don't have the special upgraded software because I don't have any CCR's.  And the upgrade cost goes by how many CCRs you are going to run...  It can be anywhere from $50-$200 bucks... Ouch.  If there is a way to do it without the extra software upgrade then that would be great.  I do however have S3 with an advanced license.

Helen Keller

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, »
Or do you have to have the superstar software?

Helen Keller

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, »
So quick question, if you want to use the sequencing in LOR for your pixelnet, how would you label your channels, just dont add a device, and just add however many number of channels you will have as a whole, and then once the sequencing is done, do an export into x-lights?  This is where I have been struggling.  I have been an LOR user for a few years but just started adding the Etherdongle, 7 flex strips, etc etc, but since LOR only works in dmx universes I have hit a road block.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

I am at a loss, I know LSP a little, but if I don't have to spend all my time getting all the quirks down of another sequencer that would be preferable! 

I could be totally wrong here but…… Doesn't Lor software now support E1.31?

If so then that is all you need to use the EtherDongle. The ETD takes the packets from the E1.31 protocol and sends out the pixelnet data. It would be just a bunch of dmx universes/channels in your software.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, »
Right, I have the etherdongle, and yes it supports e1.31 but the problem in lies here.  Pixelnet universes are higher in number than 512 and LOR only talks in dmx universes. So there is some compatibility issues there with channel numbering as after 512 you have to start over, it's a huge mess trying to figure it out...

Helen Keller

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, »
LOR does not actually talk pixel net, you have to use other means to basically trick it by using dmx universes to talk to pixelnet or other means by moving it to x lights but to do so you have to setup the channel configuration a certain way otherwise it won't work right.  So this is where I am at now... The stick point.

Helen Keller

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, »
the only time your software has to know pixelnet is if you use the usb dongle.

I know nothing about lor software so somebody else will have to help with the channel stuff.

E1.31 can't do anymore that 512 channels itself. It just uses lots of universes

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, »
LOR does not actually talk pixel net, you have to use other means to basically trick it by using dmx universes to talk to pixelnet or other means by moving it to x lights but to do so you have to setup the channel configuration a certain way otherwise it won't work right.  So this is where I am at now... The stick point.

This seems to be your point of confusion.  LOR doesn't have to know anything about Pixelnet.  All LOR has to know is E1.31.  The EtherDongle will deal with the conversion from E1.31 to Pixelnet.  As Rick said, E1.31 is based on the DMX channel count of 512 and all you need to do is set up a group of sequential E1.31 controllers.  The IP address group is in the WIKI (although not well named) and uses the address range from 239.255.0.1 to 239.255.0.32.  As you can see from the range, the EtherDongle uses 32 sequential E1.31 universes or address spaces.  That should be the only configuration change that you need to make.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, »
Ok but if I can only have them as all 1-512, do I change the universe number but still address them all as the same channel numbers but just different universes for each?  But this way my count numbers are going to run over and in the middle of universes.  So how do I number/assign them without having to do them one at a time or without having up skip over 200 or do channels.  It still doesn't make sense to me as I have tried to set it up that way and everything just gets all jumbled up and I have no idea how to program the ssc's for channel assignment when they get all mixed up and cross over universes like this.  Does this make any sense? 

Helen Keller