Author Topic: Using Twinkling/Blinking LEd lights  (Read 8529 times)

Offline salongaopm

Using Twinkling/Blinking LEd lights
« on: July 04, 2010, »
I have just found out that some of the LED lights I purchased were twinkling/blinking. Can I still use them with LE without problems?

Thanks!

Offline tbone321

Re: Using Twinkling/Blinking LEd lights
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, »
These lights may give you some issues.  LED's don't twinkle or blink on their own like some incandescent lights can and are being contolled by some circuitry in the string.  While the on / off functions should work just fine, it is unknown how the circuits that control the flashing and twinkle effects will react to the dimming features of the LE.  The circuit may just shut down while dimming or it could burn out.  The simple answer would be to cut the flashing / twinkle circuit out but in most cases it is not that simple.  You need to dedtermine how the string is wired and exactly what the the control unit is doing.  It may just be controlling the LEDS that are flashing or it could also be controlling the power for the entire set.  If removed then you will have to supply the rectification and resistance needed to protect the LEDs and depending on how the string is configured, it can be a little morfe complicated than you might think.   Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, »
Can you post a picture of a string that blinks/twinkles?  It may be easy to spot the controller and then again............
R,
Tony "C"

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, »
attached are pictures of the lights controller(?).

1 & 2. 60ct led strings that blink
3. 200ct led christmas tree string - twinkling
4 & 5. 60ct. led Doe

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, »
picture #6. 100ct led snowflakes - twinkling

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, »
I bought them on sale last christmas and didn't realized that they were twinkling/blinkg. I thought I saved a lot...I thought wrong. For now they will be useless. :-[

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, »
I would hazard a guess that your controller converts AC to DC and then feeds a two channel function control to cause the lights to behave as they do.  We a little metering you probably can bypass the function controller on the card.  This probably will take care of your stars too.  Let me see if I can find the photos of the led controller I encountered and the mods I made.

R,
Tony "C"
R,
Tony "C"

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, »
I do not think the snowflake works the same way as the other light strings.

They make LED's that will flash by them self.  If you connect a flashing LED in series with standard LED's the whole string will flash/twinkle.

Looking at the snowflake picture I cannot see any modules that might have a control circuit. So my best guess is flashing LED's.

This is the same theory behind the twinkling snowflakes using mini lights, there is one light in the circuit that twinkles and makes the rest of the mini's in that circuit twinkle also.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, »
Yes, the snowflakes doesn't have anything that look like a control circuit . So, can I safely changed the one flashing/twinkling LED bulb with a steady or regular led bulb without damaging the whole string?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, the snowflakes doesn't have anything that look like a control circuit . So, can I safely changed the one flashing/twinkling LED bulb with a steady or regular led bulb without damaging the whole string?

That is a possibility. 

Can you identify which are the blinking LED's?

With the mini type snowflakes the twinkle mini light are in a slightly larger socket.

Forgot to ask the the LED's are replaceable or not.

How about a close up picture of one section of the snowflake.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, »
This looks very familiar to a controller of a string of 9 snowflakes I experimented with last year...

I don't know if this helps but here is a quote from my reply in another thread...

48     Fun / The Porch / Re: SPT-1 polarized plugs    on: January 25, 2010,
The best I could do this year was to buy the "snowflake icicle lights" strings. They are a string of 9 snowflakes with three big flakes and 6 smaller flakes on the string. They come with an 8 function controller built in. They are made by "Grandlite Co." They come in a mostly red box and the manufacturer is not mentioned on the box. You have to look on the little controller to find out the manufacturer. I think I bought them at Lowes.

Anyway, I was able to find that they are made of up of three circuits of three snowflakes each - one big one and two smaller ones on each circuit. Each circuit will have three flakes operating together at one time and they are arranged in an alternating pattern - 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3. This makes it great for chases!

The controller uses 6 conductors connected to the string. The first two conductors labeled A C are connected to the power plug and is daisy chained directly to male plug (feeding the controller) and to the female plug at the end of the light string for connecting other strings to it.

The other four conductors are power for each of the three circuits and one "neutral" for return of all three strings!

These are controllable by the LE but I had to be EXTREMELY careful about the polarization of wiring from the controller all the way to the string. Controlling these are not for the faint hearted but very satisfying once the leap is made.

I do NOT recommend doing this unless you know what you are doing but I had a great time making it all work...and yes I did blow out two channels (SSRs) out of 42 on the LEs by hooking them up wrong (had the hot and neutral reversed at the terminal block on the LE).

If you are adventurous, it turned out to be a great and very flexible outline lighting effect.

--my two cents worth--

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, »
Here's a close up picture of the snowflake. When I plug it in, I noticed that only a number of them blinks and it always the same led.