Author Topic: Quitting hobby!!!  (Read 8542 times)

Offline castortiu

Quitting hobby!!!
« on: November 16, 2010, »
I spend one week outside under the rain and cold to make my 15ft mega tree, the center was an 10ft 3/4 “ iron pipe with a join and another 6ft ¾” iron pipe and the star in the top, the tree had four steel wires from the center and attached to the floor.

Tonight came a strong storm and basically the wind destroyed the tree, the join is broken, and the star is gone, I don’t want to even think how many strings are broken.

I moved to Redmond/Washington 2 years ago, and I really hate this place, I moved like 7 times already from California to Georgia, this is BY FAR the worst place to live. Rains 300 days a year, days last 6 hs, always wet, people not often in a good mod, there is no activity to do outside with kids, is very cold and is expensive as hell.

The only here that attach me here is my job. But even when can be the best job of the world I think I can’t take it anymore, I don’t want my kids to be raise in this s….

I tried to get a hobby to distract me from all this, first was RC helicopters, I could fly them 2 weeks in a year, or drive 30miles to fly them indoor (LAME) and them I switched to Christmas lights and now with the mega tree I could not even tried the tree since when I finished every time I tried the CFGI break, connecting every single mini light string I hear the sound the sparks make against the grass since everything is wet, and now I could not even tried once since the tree is gone.

Seriously I’m thinking quit the hobby.

Basically I have 14 wireless LE’s, 16 SSRs (8 wireless), 3 wireless Aethers fully assembled, probably I’ll put that for sale soon (this week may be).

May be I’ll get a hobby to go out for dinner 4 times a weeks, so I’ll gain 100 pounds and play XBOX every night.

Cas.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: Quitting hobby!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, »
Sorry to hear about your night.  I moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Sammamish 17 years ago and I do miss the weather.  Crazy winds tonight, but the good news is now there are no leaves on the trees which will make it easier to put lights on the trees in the ice cold rain this weekend.  With all of your hardware, you must have an amazing show.  Xbox is okay, but doesn't beat the joy our displays bring to people.  Its not easy, but thats one of the reasons we do it.  I say rebuild and let the show go on.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, »
I'm sorry to hear that Cas.
I hope thing start looking up for you and you get the needed distraction you're looking for.

I think that you might be in it for the wrong reason though. Although I'm sure things are interesting and lots of great things/ circuits to keep you busy, the real reason most of us do it is to celebrate the birth of our lord. The icing on the cake is the delight we see in all the little faces that visit. In all it can be very rewarding but it is a lot of work. When I first started I remember how much I wanted everything to be perfect and strived to make my own Holdman display. Ironically, when I started to get overwhelmed the person I was striving to be like made a statement that really hit home.  Richard said no matter what you plans and or no matter what the size of your display, "You just need to remember to have fun!" Every year when it gets down to crunch time and I start stressing cause I've procrastinated AGAIN I have to remember those words. In the end its all that really matters and what ultimately will keep you sane.

I know the upper west can be depressing with all that rain but look at the bright side. All of us that visit from the desert really love how green your area is.  ;)

Merry Christmas Cas!

Leon
Leon

Offline castortiu

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, »
Last year was my first year and it was 4 LEs, this year I was thinking in upgrade the show for that reason the 14LEs and SSRs so the 300 channels were not even used once yet.

The tree had 64 channels and 20000 minilights, 7 archs are already another 56 channels, and the channels go down quickly when you diversify

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Sorry to hear this.  You can always just hold off this year and plan for next year.  That can take up lots of hobby time.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, I suggest you take a break and relax a little if you can and not make any plans on quittin untill a little time has past and you know your thoughts are in check. This hobby is for you first and if this gives you enjoyment then keep on going. I will keep you in my prayers as you go through this tough time. GOD BLESS and Merry Christmas
Jeff

Offline jap813

• if you believe it, you can achieve it
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas

I know the frustration level you are at right now but I would GLADLY take some of that rain and wind ( I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area). I have been outside putting up my display sweating, talk about taking the mood away! This is my first year and so far this is the most fun I have ever had at this time of year. Just take a break, have a Kit Kat bar, cup of coffee or hot chocolate and things WILL look brighter. Remember IT CAN ALWAYS BE WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and Merry Christmas
Jason
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, by jap813 »

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas,

From what I've seen, you've been a real asset here at DLA.

Hang in there, it's the Winter time blues setting in. Back it down a notch if you feel you need to. Stick with the plan, think about your kids - give THEM some blinky - not everyone else. Overcome the trials and you'll be back on the road and better than ever before you know it.

XBOX! You got to be kidding - that's only for a couple of people. You have been contributing to something for lots and lots of people.

Good Luck,
-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, »
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Don't let life beat you. Just build it bigger and stronger next year. I too lost my mega tree my first year. Search around on some of the other Christmas boards. There are some very good articles from mechanical engineers on exactly how to guy wire it and all the mechanical calculations for mega trees. Very interesting stuff. My mega tree can now stands up to the winds, no problem. There is a lot of pride every year when I see it standing up there. Every year it now brings a different kind of tears to my eyes.  I don't do this because it is easy; I do it because it is hard.  Having my display makes me a little different than everyone else.

I agree with the others. Take some time to think about your decision. Mega trees are not everything,  I say put on the best show you can this year with what you have. When you look in to the kids eyes and see the joy that YOU can bring to them. You will find it was worth every thing you have put into it and you will want to do more next year.

-Jefff

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas,

I understand your frustration. Last year I had 50-60 mph winds come and destroy "Easter Island". The palm trees were a MESS. I ended up piecing it together for the rest of the year. Then after Christmas I brought them in and FIXED them. I added a PVC pipe to go thru the middle of them and then tie wrapped everything to the pvc pipe. None the PVC pipe is only a guide. I drive rebar thru the middle of the pvc pipe and this is were this new strength will come from.

My point is this. If you like doing the show, and most of use are doing it for that reason, Study each piece and look for how the weather is going to get you. In your case wind and rain. For wind don't provide surface area for the wind to grab. and then tie the thing down and reinforce everything. YOU CAN BEAT IT. It's been raingin here for two days now and I have no problems. I do not use GFI and yes I would most likely have some issues with it. I tape every connection and/or use a plastic bag over them. Everything is off the ground to avoid standing in water. I've even gone as far as tie wrapping some wires to branches in brushes to get them off the ground.

You can win but it is a battle. Turn it around and do a song like the beach boys Kokomo. With that weather you have it is sure to put a smile on a few faces.
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas,
I can empathize with you. We live a small town about 30 miles east of Portland at the base of the Cascade mountain range and our weather is like yours. We have spent the last 2 weekends putting up our first animated display and it has been raining every single day. I took 2 days off to work on our display and it rained hard non-stop both days. It gets frustrating and  discouraging. It seems like every time we get a section done, a part of the previous section has problems. I have had all of my mini trees in and out of the garage to fix problems. Our mini-mega tree didn't look right when it was set up so we had to start over. We still have tons more work to do.
I can't wait to see the look on our grandkids faces when we turn on the lights Thanksgiving evening and listen to them when they tell their friends and family how cool the lights are at Grampa and Grammie's  house.
It's a lot of work, but the rewards are great.
Hang in there. Take a deep breath, get a good nights sleep and like Leon said "You just need to remember to have fun!"

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas

I feel your pain but mega trees are not easy to do and I really hope that one failure there would not take you out of the hobby.  You are a real asset to this group and this site and I realy hope that you stay.  As for the tree, I see why it probably failed and if you want some suggestions on what is needed to make it stronger, this is the place to get them.  There are a lot of good people here and I hope that you remain one of them.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, »
Cas, I feel for you.  The very same thing happened to me.  My 35' Mega Tree came crashing down at 3:43 in the morning January 1, 2003.  C9's and C7's and minis broken and torn all over the place. let alone the 5' 5pt star!  I had joined three sections of recycled 1-1/2" galvanized pipe with new couplings, but the rusty threaded ends - the weakest part of the assembly - couldn't stand up to the storm.  At least I had made it through to NYE without a problem!  I learned my lesson tho, and graduated to new 2" pipe the next year, and double-guyed it from the top and the coupling.  This really made the pole solid.  And I had had it with glass bulbs and incans... so the following year the mega tree was 100% LED.

Hang in there!  Here's hoping the weather clears and you get out from under that cloud... literally and figuratively.  Best of luck whatever you decide is right for you and your display this year!
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, »
I'm sorry to hear that.  I feel the same sometimes way during setup.

On a side note I would use 1 1/2 black pipe for a tree this size with three guy wires.  I see too many times where pipe is selected that is too small or made of pvc.  Sometimes good enough works, but for things like this a little extra is better.

Good luck.

Offline sakkk05

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, »
Sorry to hear that. I am a newbee and can't wait to get started this all looks like alot of INTERESTING times. Hopefully you continue with your display but if you decide to quit I would be interested in some stuff to hopefully put a small show together for this year!!