Author Topic: Halloween Sequence  (Read 9524 times)

Offline inzeos

Re: Halloween Sequence
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did he screw the pumpkins to the frame?

Just picked myself up 15 plastic pumpkins at target today.  Wife loves this idea and I figure 15 is probably the optimal amount since it's 1 channel short of a 16 channel controller.

Yes, the pumpkins are screwed to the frame.  I used little pieces of scrap wood to stabilize the pumpkin and to prevent screwhead pull-through.  There are also holes in the bottom to let water drain (it always snows on Halloween in Denver) and to allow air to circulate.  You could use 1x6s for the frame - good luck finding straight/flat boards at a home center - I used a 2'x4'x3/4" plywood and ripped it to 5.5".  The pumpkins are offset so that I can flush mount to a wall if I'm so inclined.  Thank goodness PK is an engineer and remembers geometry/trig forumulas, otherwise, I'd still be trying to figure this out!

Originally I was going to do 5 rows of pumpkins to fully utilize the channels of the LE.  However, I know that I'll be getting decorations 50% off on Nov. 1 to add to next year's display.  I have some more ideas for Halloween next year too, but I need to get sequencing for Christmas!  :)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do what I can.

Steve

What did you use for actual lights?  It looks like a single bulb in each pumpkin?

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, »
Did he screw the pumpkins to the frame?

Just picked myself up 15 plastic pumpkins at target today.  Wife loves this idea and I figure 15 is probably the optimal amount since it's 1 channel short of a 16 channel controller.

Yes, the pumpkins are screwed to the frame.  I used little pieces of scrap wood to stabilize the pumpkin and to prevent screwhead pull-through.  There are also holes in the bottom to let water drain (it always snows on Halloween in Denver) and to allow air to circulate.  You could use 1x6s for the frame - good luck finding straight/flat boards at a home center - I used a 2'x4'x3/4" plywood and ripped it to 5.5".  The pumpkins are offset so that I can flush mount to a wall if I'm so inclined.  Thank goodness PK is an engineer and remembers geometry/trig forumulas, otherwise, I'd still be trying to figure this out!

Originally I was going to do 5 rows of pumpkins to fully utilize the channels of the LE.  However, I know that I'll be getting decorations 50% off on Nov. 1 to add to next year's display.  I have some more ideas for Halloween next year too, but I need to get sequencing for Christmas!  :)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do what I can.

Steve

What did you use for actual lights?  It looks like a single bulb in each pumpkin?

Each pumpkin has it's own bulb.  I cleaned out the Christmas village lights/cords at my Dollar Tree.  These are perfect for this application as they have the metal spring gimmick that holds the bulb securely in the pumpkin.  I drilled holes in the back of each pumpkin to accept the metal assembly.  Here's the link to the lights I bought from Dollar Tree:

You could also use night lights (also available at the $1 store.)

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline inzeos

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, »
Nice find!  I was going to be lazy and dump an uncoiled strand of lights into each pumpkin :)

Offline mms

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, »
Hey Inzeos...

Some daylight video of the pumpkins and a little explanation on construction.

Happy Haunting!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline inzeos

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, »
Thanks for the bonus video!

Offline paul58

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, »
Great job!

Offline mms

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, »
X-Files sequence is finished.  (I love songs that repeat themselves!)  No video yet.  I've been walking around for days with the Addam's Family song in my head, now I'm stuck with this one!

Does anyone have any suggestions for Halloween themed music?

I'm thinking Monster Mash, Purple People Eater, Spooky, Scooby Doo, Ghost Whisperer, The Munsters, Bewitched, maybe some others...  Any thoughts?

Offline rimist

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, »
Great job! I loved it!
- Rimist

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, »
mms,
The kids in our neighborhood really loved "Witch Doctor" by the Chipmunks.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, »
I like John Carpenter's Halloween Movie Theme

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, »
X-Files sequence is finished.  (I love songs that repeat themselves!)  No video yet.  I've been walking around for days with the Addam's Family song in my head, now I'm stuck with this one!

Does anyone have any suggestions for Halloween themed music?

I'm thinking Monster Mash, Purple People Eater, Spooky, Scooby Doo, Ghost Whisperer, The Munsters, Bewitched, maybe some others...  Any thoughts?

These are the songs I am using:
Werewolves of London
Ghostbusters
NIghtmare Before Christmas soundtrack
Superstition
Monster by Skillet
Godzilla
Put a Spell on You
Witchy Woman
I'm your Boogieman
Watching Me (the 80's song with M.J.)
Elvira
Thriller
Phantom of the Opera
Nightmare on My Street (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince)
Theme songs to:
Twilight Zone
Saw
Halloween

If, like me you don't have time to sequence the entire songs you can download the LOR 2 Vixen and convert the files and cut and paste :)  Here are free sequences, they even have the music!

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline ILOVETOTRYDIY

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, »
Also, I am willing to share all the sequences I have from last year, only 16 channels.  I would also be willing to share my Watching Me that I added a 7 channel singing face too for the chorus.  I just have to figure out how to zip files :)

Last years list:
Adams Family
Darklore
Freddy Theme
Ghostbusters - I can also send the singing pumpkin face for this
Grim Grinning Ghosts
Halloween Sounds
Monster Mash
Saw Theme
The Apparition
Thriller
YoHo
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.  Walter Elias Disney

Offline mms

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, »
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm trying to remember what the Saw theme sounds like.  I know those movies are creepy!  LOL.