Author Topic: 12V transformer tripping GFI  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Timon

Re: 12V transformer tripping GFI
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, »
Let me be very blunt. Under no circumstances should you run without a GFCI. Your not only risking your own life but those of your family, friends and those watching your display. If someone gets shocked or killed your going to be responsible. You maybe even criminally responsible if it comes to light that the GFCI was removed.

If you can't or don't know how to fix the problem then please hire a licensed electrician. It's a small price to pay to save someone's life.

I'm sorry if I'm rubbing someone the wrong way but life is too fragile to not be blunt about this.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, »
also rememeber depending on how soon your state adopts the newest NEC.  there are now outlets that have plastic covers inside where the prongs go. cccthat only open when the two main prongs are pushed in at the same time.  If your state adopts the NEC quickly, you might be required to use these plugs if you change your permanent outlets. (Pennsylvania is 3 years behind the current)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, »
As they say, paranoia will destroy ya.  The only thing that GFCI will protect in that situation is the transformer itself.  I am not a big fan of GFCI in temporary outdoor displays because to put it simply, they were not designed with that in mind and really don't work well in that situation.  Don't get me wrong, I would never tell anyone to stop using them or to disable existing ones but being paranoid about them is not much of a help either.  I really cn't think of a situation where they would be much of a help in protecting an outdoor Christmas light display, at least with the way mine is configured.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, »
Here is another option for gfi, Picture enclosed. I took an outdoor 60 Amp sub panel and put 3 of them in it . I also put one in the house panel for all outdoor outlets on the house and also put protective covers on all outdoor outlets

Offline zwiller

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, »
In a lame attempt to derail the age old GFI or not debate, I am happy to report that it has rained several times since my upgrade and no trip (knocks on wood).

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, »
In a lame attempt to derail the age old GFI or not debate, I am happy to report that it has rained several times since my upgrade and no trip (knocks on wood).

Same here. Fried some equipment and lights then did upgrade. no prolems for rest of  season .  :)

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, »
The GFI is NOT meant to protect your equipment.  It is meant to protect you and anyone around that might get electrocuted or shocked.  It detects current going out and coming back in.  If there is a difference, then there is a path to ground somewhere.  Electricity will take the easiest path to ground.  So say you mount the transformer on one of your railing posts.  A slight drizzle causes a tiny short and the electricity runs through the wood of the deck.  Someone below the deck is standing on wet grass and leans against the deck support post.  Their resistance is lower than the concrete footer that the post is sitting on.  So the current flows through that person to ground.  A GFI would detect the leakage and trip (probably before the person touched the post), a standard breaker would not.

It is indeed your choice to use a GFI or not.  Personally speaking, I rather have my show go dark because of a tripped GFI than have someone hurt or killed.  Paranoid?  Sure, you can call it that.  I'll take that label any day.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, »
I am aware that GFIs do not protect equipment, but I live on A corner lot and people cut the corner through the yard. After seeing the damage done to some of my equipment caused by moisture, I decided to caution on the safe side for everyone.

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, »
@t.jo13:  Sorry, my post wasn't meant as a response to you.  It seemed like some had a misunderstanding on what a GFI was for.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, »
If you were talking about me then I'm fully aware of that a GFCI is and what it's used for.  In case my statement before wasn't clear and I can see now that it probably wasn't, let me clarify it.  I really can't think of a situation where they would be much of a help in protecting a person from a shock in an outdoor Christmas light display, at least with the way mine is configured. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Timon

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, »
And there in lies the problem.<yk..