Author Topic: Vendors at the Academy and the Culture of DLA  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Ryan Johnson

This was mentioned in a comment on another thread and I wanted to break it out because I don't want to derail any other topic of discussion:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Vendors, especially david moores booth.

This is a topic RJ and I were sensitive to from the start.  DLA has an exclusively non-commercial culture (and I 1000% repect that - so does everyone from LSH) where LSH uses vendors to support the event (both financially and because people really want them there).  But I saw A LOT of DLA members enjoying the vendor area.  So I wonder about this...

What is everyone's thought on vendors?  We won't do away with vendors but I'm interested in this from a DLA only perspective.  Did you feel like this was... how to say this... negative in terms of violating the groups culture?  Any answer is OK; I'm just personally curious.

Please note that this is NOT a call for a change in DLA's culture- far from it.  This is specfically about the vendors at the Academy (and even if you did not attend but you have an opinion on this I'd love to hear it).

Discuss...

Offline kfxi

Re: Vendors at the Academy and the Culture of DLA
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, »
I think the vendors were just fine,  they have products to sell and if the people attending want to buy them great.  If other people do not want to buy their products that is fine also.
The vendors were there for the people who want to buy it and just plug it in.  DLA has its place too and their should be no problem for them working side by side.

Ken Austin

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, »
Vendors are fine. I only wish I hadn't waited to buy until Sunday because I missed out. It's not like we build our own led strings.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, »
I do not believe vendors at the academy have every been questioned. It has always been about advertising them on DLA that has been the issue. We all use and love our vendors. I just do not want them on DLA selling. I have not heard anyone complian about the vendors being there. 

Becky and Mom both bought some stuff at the Academy.

Now as for "pay classes" at the academy I have heard a couple (just a couple nothing really bad) of comments about that, and I assume that is why it is a question on the survey.

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Ryan Johnson

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, »
Just to be clear: I didn't hear any complaints either but I do know that this is a cultural difference between the groups.  Certainly not a deal breaker for RJ or myself or we would not have done the Academy together to begin with.  But as partnerships grow it's important to get a finger on the pulse of things and I certainly want to know about the feelings the vendors generated.

On the topic of paid classes: this was a first for us and came from the previous 4 years of feedback.  Many, many people still use LOR and we have covered this from SO many angles.  The one consistent was that people really wanted an all-day sequencing session from a high-level instructor.  To make that happen we had to enlist Drew, who is the official LOR trainer and does this for a living.  The down side is that the level of instruction he provides has a cost.  Typically that training is for 2 full days and includes the manual at a cost of $400.  There was no way that we were going to tack that on to the registration so Drew and I developed the idea of a striped down version with a more palatable price point.  I knew that some folks wouldn't be happy and LSH had those folks as well.  But at the end of the day I have to make decisions that benefit the most people and this was one that the Board decided to try.  Those folks who wanted a full day got it and those folks who didn't did not.  Honestly I don't think anyone would have taken a full day from other class opportunities that wasn't willing to pay the fe associated with it.  Will we do it again?  I don't know- we'll wait for survey feedback.  Would we do it with another software vendor?  Again, I don't know.  I don't know anyone from other software platforms who has Drew's track record of experience or his comfortable teaching style (because that's a big piece of it).  Would someone take a full day LSP class and pay for it?  Not based on the fact that many people felt abandoned by LSP at this year's Academy (and I have no problem telling David that myself.  He left EVERYONE high and dry and special thanks should go to Michael for picking up the pieces.  If so many people didn't want to learn about LSP I would have cancelled it all and tell people why.  You don't do that to customers, existing or new.  OK, rant over!). Vixen?  Nutcracker?  Etc?  I suppose it could happen if the platform dictated it and people wanted it.  Anything can happen at the Academy, that's for sure!  We don't think inside of one box.

I do want to be clear for everyone though: Lone Star Holidays collected $150 per person for the class and $50 for the books.  We even lost a little by paying 1.5% of the Paypal fees.  A check for the entire ammount was written for Drew (I know because I wrote it! :D) and we didn't make any money from the venture.  We wouldn't do that.

Good discussion!  Let's keep it going!

Ryan

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, »
I've never seen this as a problem as long as no one -- including vendors express that "my stuff is better".

We are always looking for better ways to do things even if we have to buy it. I think we just enjoy innovating things - especially if we think we can do it cheaper but we just try very hard not to insult others for their efforts. THAT is the culture here. Just take the example of the warm welcome everyone gets on this site.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline Ryan Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, »
That's a critical piece to me Paul and i have actually pulled vendors aside before about badmouthing other products/suppliers.  You have to forgive me because I don't know names to screen names but if you were at the Academy you probably heard me give the same speech to attendees: if you don't like a vendor, their products, or their prices... don't buy from them.  But don't disparage them.

I think the welcomeness on DLA is great- we do the same thing on LSH and I think that's why everyone got along famously at the Academy.  I met A LOT of new people that I consider my friends now and that's never a bad thing.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, »
You bet Ryan. I had a great time.

...and thanks again for all the effort. You, RJ and the rest know how to put on a show! <res.

-Paul Gunnels
Leesburg, FL

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, »
As someone who goes to events like this for computer related events, even though i haven't been to the academy. Vendors are a great idea because they can give you face to face feedback about a product, that normally would be hard to explain on the phone, or via email. Vendors really have a change to sell there product, show you items you might not have thought they had. explain or even show a device "hooked up" properly, or even a cool way to use it.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, »
As long as it is not forced (Charged for in the registration), I think it is good. Options are always good. Make it known that there will be vendors and that they may charge for x or y. We can then decide whether to participate, purchase, ect ourselves. Like mentioned before as long as they are not there to say "don't buy his ours is better" I think it is all good. We are all just trying to make our displays the best that they can be. Some all DIY, some no DIY and everything in between. Although I was not able to attend I am planning on next year.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, »
Half of the fun of these sorts of events is in going around to various vendors to see what they have to offer.  I for one, welcome their presence!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, »
Keep the vendors, even expand them if possible.  I like to see what is new and coming down the pike.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, »
I liked having the vendors there. I had already parched from most before, It was nice to see what they had to offer. Some I have not met and picked up one of their cards.

I like DLA not having vendors or advertisement. I also like having the store with full kits. I hope RJ can maintain this standard as DLA continues to grow.

With RJ's future plans, He does not plan on advertising on DLA. I have not always agreed with the rules, I have adjusted to accept them, Now I really believe in them.

I wish there were more websites that followed this model. Think of how much better it would be to find what you really wanted, and not a bunch of advertisement triggered off of "key words".

Have Fun.

<;d Hay, how about a DLA DIY CNC site???   <;d
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, »

<;d Hay, how about a DLA DIY CNC site???   <;d
I'd be happy to just go through RJ's junk pile.  Maybe there is an old CNC that he no longer uses. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline nvizzini

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, »
I really liked talking to the vendors and even
got all of the cases for my LEs at a good price

thanks for all the work putting it all to getter

Nicholas
Wichita Falls, TX
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX