Author Topic: Mini trees from coroplast?  (Read 6282 times)

Offline meman

Re: Mini trees from coroplast?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, »
It's off the coroplast topic, but here is the link to Ricks PVC mini trees as requested. They are quick and easy. I too, build a lot of little things out of 1/2 in PVC. It goes up fast, stores nicely and lasts forever. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, »
It's off the coroplast topic, but here is the link to Ricks PVC mini trees as requested. They are quick and easy. I too, build a lot of little things out of 1/2 in PVC. It goes up fast, stores nicely and lasts forever.  

Yes that is the link

Here is a picture of them ready for the show

I need to make one small change to them and that is to add spacers on the bottom to get the trees above the grass. They are tough little things. My son drop one and it bounce off the concrete and nothing happen to it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, »
If a guy wanted to cut and make his own mini trees from the coro......

Do you drill the holes or is there a punch of some kind to make the holes for the lights to stick through?

Either way that is a bunch of holes.  Maybe that's why we buy them rather then make them?

The holes are drilled to .005" of accuracy with an $18k machine.  There are some pretty impressive displays done by hand.  I personally don't know how they do it - let's say you have a curved line that you need 70 lights on... how do you space that out?  In CAD it's just a few clicks and you have perfect spacing.

Take your drawing and put it on a projector and mark the lines or holes on the material. Now it won't be as accurate as your cnc machine but I doubt anybody will notice it at night.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required