Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Garrison

Re: New Toy
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, »
Nice ride RJ, nice ride indeed!

Offline DennyMo

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings,,,

So, you didn't go for the Transformers model?

;D

Keith

Earlier this summer, we passed a car-carrier loaded with Camaro's on the interstate.  The rear-most car on the lower level was yellow, and facing backwards, my 5-yr-old began hollering out, "It's BUMBLEBEE!!!" 

(Guess what his Halloween costume is.  Now if only I could figure out a way to actually make it a functional costume so he could "drive" from house to house and "transform" on folks' porches...)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, »

Earlier this summer, we passed a car-carrier loaded with Camaro's on the interstate.  The rear-most car on the lower level was yellow, and facing backwards, my 5-yr-old began hollering out, "It's BUMBLEBEE!!!" 

(Guess what his Halloween costume is.  Now if only I could figure out a way to actually make it a functional costume so he could "drive" from house to house and "transform" on folks' porches...)

That would be awesome. :D

You would be a proud member of the Parent's Halloween Hall of Fame. When you able to do that.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, »
Definitely a nice ride.  You have a Miata too?!?!  What the heck is it doing with a hard top on it in Florida?

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, »
Definitely a nice ride.  You have a Miata too?!?!  What the heck is it doing with a hard top on it in Florida?

Ron

Nah my middle son has a Miata.

Don't let the motto "Sunshine state" fool you it rains here. and since it is not in a garage it would get all wet inside from thr overnight dew. Thats what 85% humidity will do to you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, »

As if with 426 HP it really needs it! LOL

RJ

...power to weight ratio?

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, »

As if with 426 HP it really needs it! LOL

RJ

...power to weight ratio?

-Paul

Not sure but heres a few specs that you can use to get an idea :
426 hp 6 speed trans sitting on 275/40ZR20  Pirelli PZero tries on 20" x 9" wheels
Stock setups
0-60   -  4.7 secs
0-100  -  11 seconds
1/4 mile   12.9 secs

Top speed limiter set at 155 mph which it can do in 4th gear

Top speed of stock vehicle with computer tune to remove limiter in excess of 170 mph (we have a crazy person in our camaro group who tried it but backed off at 170.)  :o

So what I am saying is it is fast enough for me.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, »
WOW

Sounds fast enough Rocket Jordan

Just do all of us a favor and don't do the old orlando and dawn song.

Cheers and be careful

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Greg

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, »
Top speed limiter set at 155 mph which it can do in 4th gear

Top speed of stock vehicle with computer tune to remove limiter in excess of 170 mph (we have a crazy person in our camaro group who tried it but backed off at 170.)  :o

So what I am saying is it is fast enough for me.

RJ

Seems kind of pointless to have a limiter to me... I mean if someone is unprepared to go 170+ then it seems likely they're not prepared to go 155 either.  Being a grease spot on the pavement at 155 isn't much different than being one at 170.  Thereagain, its getting hard to find pavement in suitable condition for high speed unless you go to a track, what with the short shrift government gives to road maintenance these days.

Be safe, have fun!

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline magic8192

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, »

Seems kind of pointless to have a limiter to me... I mean if someone is unprepared to go 170+ then it seems likely they're not prepared to go 155 either.  Being a grease spot on the pavement at 155 isn't much different than being one at 170.  Thereagain, its getting hard to find pavement in suitable condition for high speed unless you go to a track, what with the short shrift government gives to road maintenance these days.

Be safe, have fun!

Greg

Pretty sure the limiter is based on the speed rating of the tires on the car. 

With the 1998-2002 Camaro, most of the builds had the tires with the 162 MPH speed rating and that is what the limiter was set at, but you could buy the car with RSA tires on it with a 120 MPH speed rating and that is what your speed limiter was set at.   

Some guys would order their new Camaro with painted rims and the RSA tires because they were going to put their own custom rims and tires on the car, but to their horror, they ended up with a 120 MPH limiter as a free gift from GM. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, »

Seems kind of pointless to have a limiter to me... I mean if someone is unprepared to go 170+ then it seems likely they're not prepared to go 155 either.  Being a grease spot on the pavement at 155 isn't much different than being one at 170.  Thereagain, its getting hard to find pavement in suitable condition for high speed unless you go to a track, what with the short shrift government gives to road maintenance these days.

Be safe, have fun!

Greg

Pretty sure the limiter is based on the speed rating of the tires on the car.  

With the 1998-2002 Camaro, most of the builds had the tires with the 162 MPH speed rating and that is what the limiter was set at, but you could buy the car with RSA tires on it with a 120 MPH speed rating and that is what your speed limiter was set at.  

Some guys would order their new Camaro with painted rims and the RSA tires because they were going to put their own custom rims and tires on the car, but to their horror, they ended up with a 120 MPH limiter as a free gift from GM.  

Dead on.. the tires are limited at 155 mph so thats where it is on the SS. The LT's have 118 mph rated tires and thats where it is set.

RJ

Offline golights

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, »
RJ,  Could you put my express coop box in your new car, then seal it up before you ship?  I forgot what that new car smell was like.   Nice ride!!!!

Offline tpctech

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, »
Now to add blinky to the car.  Many moons ago I helped a friend "sequence" the tail lights on his grand AM.  They had a 3 lamp tail/brake light.  We sequenced the brake circuit from inside to outside.  The 1st hard wired then sequenced with a simple SCR driven with a RC circuit.  You have 2 lights it could work!

Cool ride......

KEN

Offline castortiu

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, »
And this is how will look like, after RJ mod with a PIC24FJ32GA002.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

If you use the latest Microchip version of the pic, it becomes a Deceptacon!

Keith

;D  ;D  ;D

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues