Author Topic: Light Show Pro versus Vixen  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Christmasaddict

Light Show Pro versus Vixen
« on: January 17, 2010, »
I would appreciate some feedback on which program a newbie should go with.  Also wondering if, for example, I start with Vixen and in a couple of  years decide to go with LSP.  Do the programs have a similar "feel and look" or would I basically be starting from scratch.  I wasn't sure where to post this but decided this was as good as any.  I will be starting this year with 3 Lynx Express units so I will have 48 channels to play with.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Light Show Pro versus Vixen
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, »
This is a hard one because it is so much based on opinion and preferences. It is like asking which pickup truck is the best? I have been using Vixen and have LSP. Have thought about switching but just kinda waiting to see where the software settles out at. I did not feel it was ready early enough this year for me to try and use but it is early this year.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline thshadow

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, »
I would download the demo version of LSP and then Vixen and play with both of them.. I see things I like in one and not in the other and vice versa. I think it also depends on time.. I can see where one can save you some time in one way.. but it has so much stuff it might actually eat up more time in another sense... I'm new to this also and can say from playing around with LSP, Vixen and I even downloaded the LOR software (which yes I know is not compatible at this point in time) they are all different.. I would love to have a bit of the features of each.

RJ the pickup truck question is easier though -> Just buy a Jeep ;) LOL

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, »
I went the same route RJ did. I just didn't feel Light Show Pro was 100% BUT I would keep my eye on it. Download the demo program and take some time with it. Once you understand it a little do something serious with it. The Demo program is a fully operational and will only limit the output, all of the user functions are fully operational.

Personally I will be watching LSP and may switch to it this year.

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, »
I'd encourage you to download a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as well.  DMX is not publicly available yet, but will be later this year.  You can still sequence in the meantime.

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd encourage you to download a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as well.  DMX is not publicly available yet, but will be later this year.  You can still sequence in the meantime.
The big question is what dongle willo be supported? If Aurora doesn't plan to support the Lynx dongle then purchasing it and building it could potentially be a waste of dollars and time. I'm holding off on the dongle coop for this reason.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, »
I'd encourage you to download a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as well.  DMX is not publicly available yet, but will be later this year.  You can still sequence in the meantime.
The big question is what dongle willo be supported? If Aurora doesn't plan to support the Lynx dongle then purchasing it and building it could potentially be a waste of dollars and time. I'm holding off on the dongle coop for this reason.

In Vixen there is no lynx dongle only the Enttec usb dmx pro. That works well and if Aurora supports the Enttec DMX USB Pro then Aurora MIGHT already support the lynx dongle.

Rick R.

Added in Might as per RJ's post
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, »

In Vixen there is no lynx dongle only the Enttec usb dmx pro. That works well and if Aurora supports the Enttec DMX USB Pro that Aurora already supports the lynx dongle.

Rick R.

Rick that is not totally correct. They can support the Enttec through the Driver and not through a virtiual comm port and the Lynx dongle would not work. But you are correct that if they support it via the Virutal Comm port then it will work with our dongle then.

RJ

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, »
Having used Aurora, LSP and LOR I can tell you that LOR is the most consistent and stable option.  That said, the sequencing capabilities in LSP and Aurora are far superior.  This is especially true if you use RGB washes, Firefly etc...

I have not used Vixen so I cannot compare it to the other three options...

As to DMX support, it is was mentioned on the aurora forum that Aurora would only support "their" DMX adapter.  I have no idea if that is true or not but if it is I would be very disappointed...

LSP is making significant progress and is turning into a very impressive tool.  I had some issues with it in the 09 season but David worked non stop on making it a better product and in the end it was exactly what I needed.

Frank

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, »
I posted up on the Aurora site that the developer should get in contact and work with RJ to add support for the Lynx line of controllers.  There has been a lot of buzz about the Lynx Express on the Aurora site in hopes of DMX support.  I think if they do not support a Lynx plug-in for the controllers and the dongle it will be a bad move on their part.  There will be a lot of people including me thinking about LSP and even Vixen if they don’t.  I went with Aurora since it came to life because I was using D-Light controllers and needed the support for the hardware and since Spectrum was abandoned (and has since been improved/reborn as LSP).   If you look at the number of new members being added to this site including me.  That’s got to say something and just judging by the Express Coop and 500+ controllers that were ordered.  There would have been more ordered if members from the others sites figured out what the Lynx controllers were and who RJ was in time.  I wonder how many new members have signed up since Jan 1st of this year. Cost per channel is really becoming a big deal in a down economy.  Especially since the controllers are as good as if not better than what is out there now.  Support from RJ and this forum is right on par as well as far as I can tell.  I think LSP has about six months to really get on track for the 2010 season.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, »

I have no need for the demo version of Aurora since I've been using Aurora for 2 years and am dedicated to using it. I realize DMX isn't available and just want to know what DMX dongle will be supported. If it doesn't support the Lynx dongle then there's no sense wasting dollars and time. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, »
Just as with LSP,
We will be happy to help them support the Lynx Equipment to include the dongle. We want the users to have many options in what they use to create their shows. 

RJ

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, »
I believe a new version of LSP came out today, with another 30 day trial for those still straddling the fence.