Author Topic: Alternating switch?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline rogerwh

Alternating switch?
« on: January 20, 2010, »
I'm looking for a cheap alternating switch which I can use to automatically switch the power from one output to another.  I plan to use a few simple animated figures in my next display and just need something to switch the lights to simulate a "hand wave" or a bell ringing.  I'm trying to do this without using channels from the Express such that all all animated figures would be on the one channel (if at all) on the Express as off/on and then this switch or switches would take care of the animation part of the figure.

I've looked around and obviosuly don't know the secret key words to enter into the search as i'm coming up with all kinds of switches.  The only alternating switches I've find are made for blinking traffic lights and seem to be in the $40-$50 range.  Heck, I can almost build an Express for that.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is there some name for these type switches that would help filter out the "hits" I'm getting by just using "alternating" switch?.

Offline austindave

Re: Alternating switch?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is there some name for these type switches that would help filter out the "hits" I'm getting by just using "alternating" switch?.

Try "AC Flasher" or just "Flasher".  I tried "AC Flasher" on the Bing search service and got some hits that looked promising. No idea of the prices, though (I didn't dig that far into it).

Good luck.
--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, »
Just a comment to think of when choosing your flasher.

Many years ago I did one that sounds very much like yours. (Hand wave) I had trouble finding a flasher that would stay off for the same amount of time that it was on. I ended up using a car turn signal flasher on 12 VDC  connected to an ice cube relay to run the 110 VAC lights. It worked very well for me, but I did have the 12 VDC avalable on my display.

jeff

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, »
If you like to play with circuits you might try a 555 timer.  They are very simple and can be set to very specific on/off timing.  You would have to couple that with an SCR or something to drive the AC power you want but it would be very cheap and easy.  If you search 555 circuits you will find many examples.

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, »
the key word is "controller" ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

they come in 2 3 4 outputs ... normally used in wire frames and run from $30 to $40

if you get an indoor one (one that isn't rainproof) you will have to put it in a enclosure the 1000 from the broadband store works well.  If they even get a little damp they will fail.

That being said one of the wireframe makers has a weatherproof one for about the same price.  

They are simple on off type controllers with a speed control on them ... Larry Cupp would know where the weatherproof ones come from.  
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline Bob in WV

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, »
Here is one source of controllers.  I use one to cause the legs on my big butt Santa !

Bob Chrisp
Martinsburg WV
The Musical Lights of Christmas

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, »
Thanks for the info guys.  Guess It hought it would be a lot cheaper.  Sounds like I might as well just get another Express for what I need.

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, »
Another option might be to use an SSR4 w/DMX.  Less expensive than an LE

Offline voyageurs60

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, »
Here is a link for what I think is going to be a relatively inexpensive controller...

ordered a couple of the 10 channel and couple of the 2 channel...

I just have to find an inexpensive SSR it seems...

voyageurs60 (Dan)
Light in Peace - voyageurs60 (Dan)

Offline blickensderfer

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, »
Roger,

Here is a very basic alternating flasher.  Transistor LED flasher You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You could modify it to include your MOC3023  Optocouple (SSR) and drive your display.

Dan

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, by blickensderfer »

Offline travailen

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, »
Interval delay relays show up on Ebay from time to time. They usually cost between $10 to $20.  Thay should solve the problem.

Rick