Author Topic: Soldering help WLC100 Question  (Read 1380 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Soldering help WLC100 Question
« on: January 23, 2010, »
I ordered the Weller WLC100.  I built my DMX dongle last night.  The tip that came with it is a flat heat screw driver head shape.  It is the "ST3" tip.  I think I need a smaller tip?  I had to make sure I held the tip vertical so not to touch 2 spots at once on the smaller stuff.  The box shows tips ST1 through ST8.  All went well but it seems like if I had a smaller tip it would have been easier.  Any comments?  If another tip would be better I want to order it now as I have 7 Expresses on the current coop and RJ is ordering Monday.

Second question.  I watched the two videos (part 1 & 2) on the building the LE ver4.  RJ talked about cranking up the heat for some of the bigger connections.  He used a temperature setting in degrees.  My soldering station has 1 through 5 for settings.  As I soldered last night it seemed like a setting of 2 worked for the dongle pcb.  I had it on 4 at first and it seemed to hot.  Anyone have a comment on what two settings for normal soldering and when RJ says crank it up...  My guess would be 2 and 4.  I am sure at least several others have the WLC100.

Thanks
Ron

I built many home brew circuits and kits when I was younger.  Heathkit AM shortwave radio, Vacuum tube voltmeter model IM16,  digital clock and many Radio Shack "P"-box kits.  Many Many crystal radios and several regenerative vacuum tube short wave receivers from books and magazine projects.  One of the coolest was a 1 tube regenerative am radio using a #30 antique triode tube.  It had hand wound spiderweb coils.   You know back in the good old days.  Ha Ha.  I am 53 now.  So I have not soldered much lately.  But I think its like the riding the bicycle thing.
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline austindave

Re: Soldering help WLC100 Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, »
Yeah, I had the same thing. The tip that came with my WES51 soldering iron was just a little too big as well... While it worked for building the dongle, it wasn't optimal. A smaller tip would be easier to use with less chance of solder bridges. I went and got the ETK tip (3/64" long screwdriver tip - your model # will probably be different). I haven't used it yet, but I think it'll work better for the small stuff.

Hopefully I don't offend anybody by suggesting that a different tip might work better. If so, I apologize.  ;D

--Dave
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, »
Hi Ron,

Using the WLC100 I normally keep it just higher than 3 (like 3 1/8 - Guessing) and for the larger parts like triacs I move it up to 4.5 of course allow it to heat up.

I ordered a few different tips but I normally use the .031 "screwdriver" one

Cheers

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, »
When I was using that solder station I think I agree with Rick. Seems like I was on a little over three for most and 4 1/2 for the big items. I used the next size smaller screw drive tip than the one that came on it and found that to work well.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, »
I have been using the ST3 as well, but I also have the ST1 - narrow Chisel and the ST5 - pointed to use when I want to switch.  I am usually at the 3.5 setting and it seems to work well.  I turn it up to 4.5 for the triacs.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, »
Thanks guys.  That helps me a bunch.  I will order a new tip or two.  Seems like most places I will pay more for the shipping then the tip.  Anyone  have a good price with low shipping?  I will google again.

Again, Thanks

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, »
Don't forget to let your fingers do the walking and try looking for a supplier in your local yellow pages.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA