Author Topic: Soldering Dongle  (Read 1081 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Soldering Dongle
« on: January 27, 2010, »
Hi there ,

I was wondering is there a video of someone putting a dongle together like the ones for the Express in the wiki I see the instructions for the dongle but was looking for a video so i could pause and do each step with the video just wondering
Jeff

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Soldering Dongle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, »
lineman,
I haven't seen a video for the dongle but it seems to be considerably less complicated than the LE. Print the manual and cross out the steps as you complete them. Pictures always make things easier for me.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline memphislights

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, »
The dongle actually goes together pretty easily.

The most common mistakes are...

1.  not aligning the dot on the XTAL oscillator to the dot on the PCB.
2.  putting in the mosfet transistor in backwards
3.  not using a programmed PIC - these do not come pre-programmed
4.  putting in other chips backwards.
5.  bad solder joints

If you watch out for these mistakes, you should be fine.

One other thing to watch out for, but you won't know until you test your dongle, is a bad usb module.  This is not common, but has happened a few times.  This will usually manifest as windows not detecting the dongle when plugged in.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

The dongle is easy to put together.  If you haven't soldered much before, check out the info in the manual.  Pay attention to orientation of parts.  You'll be done in no time at all.  Help is here if needed.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi there ,

I was wondering is there a video of someone putting a dongle together like the ones for the Express in the wiki I see the instructions for the dongle but was looking for a video so i could pause and do each step with the video just wondering

Thanks DLAers soldering iron station came (MPJA 302A) now just need backorder parts to arrive and then its game on
  as for the video i just like to see someone do it first my reading comprehension is not my strong suit along with spelling LOL, I wiil make sure to watch out were you have suggested i will let you know how it goes .  :D

Jeff