Author Topic: Building a Pole  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Made2Rock

Building a Pole
« on: February 04, 2010, »
  There have been a couple of times I wanted to jump into a thread when it came to poles and how to mount things up in the air. I had planned on putting something into the Wiki but haven't gotten around to it yet. So I figured I would settle for creating a new topic.

The Problem

I needed a pole for my mega tree but it would have to be something I could put up and then take down when I was done. I was planning on a 15' tree and I would only have a step ladder to use in putting up the tree. The tree would also have to be able to handle some fairly good winds (it handle 40-50 mph without a problem).

The Solution

I drove a 2" PVC pipe into the ground. This provided a good anchor for the bottom of the tree.

Next I knew a 2" PVC pipe would be strong but I was planning on hanging 135 lbs of lights on it  :o (yes I'm a sick puppy I weight the lights). So to reinforce the PVC I decided to use 2" x 2" wood in the center of the tree. Between the wood and the PVC I should have enought strength to handle whatever I decided to do.

So to continue I used 2 - 7' 2"x2" pieces of wood and 2 - 7 1/2' 2" PVC pipes. What makes this work is the internal pieces overlap the outer pieces and nothing breaks at the same place. Hopfully you get what I am saying. Below is a simple drawing.

|    | <---- Top 2" PVC Pipe
 | X |
 | X <------ Top 2"x2" piece of wood
 | X |
+ X + <---- Break between the pieces of PVC NOTE: no break in the wood
 | X |
 | X |
 |---<------ Break in the pieces of wood
 | X |
 | X |
-+X+---  Ground level
 | X |
 | X |
 | X |

I sure do hope that was clear or at least helped.

To strength the top I add a 2" piece of PVC coupling. I drilled 4 holes around the the sides of this piece and fed 9 gauge wire thru the top. To this wire I attached my guide lines.

Problems I do know about.

1) the 2"x2" are good fit for going inside the 2" PVC pipe BUT would become trouble if they got wet. So I painted the wood to solve this problem. What did get me was the cold weather we got in North Al. this year and inside the pipe water had collected and froze. Pulling this thing apart was HARD due to the ice. I would cap the top of all this to keep the rain out.

What is nice is you just slide all of the pieces together while laying on the ground and then just lift it up and let it all fall into place. I did without even a step ladder.

I sure hope this is clear and helps someone.

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Building a Pole
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, »
Why didn't you use a telescoping flagpole? My flagpole extends up to 20ft. I just designed the top to accept guy ropes to stabilize it.

If I read your diagram correctly you do not use any pipe couplings on your pole correct?

Your diagram is not really clear as to whether the wood also extends down into the 2 ft section in the ground or not?

How many light strings & channels do you use on your tree?

I had a star that I used to raise on a pole (using alum antenna pole) and that thing was a bear to get up in the air with the star mounted on it.

Tom L

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, »
I had a project that I used the same type of connections in your drawing.

What happened was the wood swelled inside the PVC and could not get it apart.

Built my first Mega tree in 2009 a 15 foot one. Looked at many designs, settled on one that used 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" EMT pipe and a sliding hub with hooks to make it easy to add the lights. For the base just used a 2 x 12 x 24 piece of treated lumber and attached a 1 1/2" floor flange and a 1 1/2" threaded EMT coupler. This can all be assembled on the ground and just walked up into position.

The pole just rested on the ground. Used 3 guy wires going with corkscrew doggy anchors with turnbuckles added.

The base of the pole is not going anywhere once erected, do not see why you want to dig a hole? My way lets me change locations if needed.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline meman

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, »
There is a similar topic with more ideas just a few lines down in "The Porch". It's titled "Christmas trees made from light strings"....You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login