Author Topic: Aurora Sequencing software.  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
Aurora Sequencing software.
« on: February 04, 2010, »
It looks like Aurora is working towards working with the Lynx Controllers.  I saw an update on their site.  Hopefully it will work and the only question is that Aurora will have their own Aurora Dongle so hopefully it will work with the Lynx wireless transmitters as well.  Have been use Aurora and have not have any issues with it with my D-light hardware.  But now since I'm moving toward the Lynx Express controllers its great that I don't have to change the software I'm using.  Hopefully it will be out soon so any bugs get worked out, don't want to hit a wall before the season starts back up in Sept.   Its always good to have other options out there.  Especially since RJ is coming out with all these cool projects and coops.  My wife is gonna kill me, I just keep telling here look how much money were saving thru the coops  ;D.

Here is a link. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Aurora Sequencing software.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, »
Just so we are clear to everyone. They are not working to use the Lynx Dongle. They are saying they are getting DMX ready which then allows you to control Lynx light Controllers like the Express. He has said a number of times even in this post that you must use his DMX dongle for it to work.

Do not want anyone to misunderstand and think he is saying he will support the Lynx Dongle.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, »
RJ, That is the only thing that kinda worries me so hopefully he is working with you on making the Aurora DMX Dongle work with the Lynx hardware.  I know you mentioned that the Entec Pro and your Lynx Dongle are the only two DMX Dongles that are verified to work.   If they do not release it before the season starts up I have to make a switch and I know a lot of people will too as I know I'm not the only one moving toward the Lynx Controllers that are currently Aurora users.  Just in case I already ordered the parts for the Dongle, pickit2 and have boards in the Coop already as well as the Express on Coop.  I would much rather have them support the Lynx Dongle, the cost is where I like it (no too expensive).  I'm not sure what the cost will be if they charge for the dongle and the plug-in.  That remains to be announced.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, »
As long as the DMX is stable it will work with the Express. The only DMX issues I have seen is with some computers using the Enttec open style dongles where the computer does all the work.

I have not every had the privledge to talk to anyone from aurora. I am ashamed to say I have never seen the software.   :-[

RJ 

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, »
Rod -

Rest assured, the Aurora DMX dongle does work with the Lynx Express.  I had 8 LEs in my display last year mixed with 11 D-Light controllers, all being ran with one instance of Aurora.  It was a beta version, so not as polished and rock-hard stable as standard Aurora releases.  The pricing on the Aurora dongle was within a few dollars of the Lynx dongle PCB plus parts.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, »
Now the trick question is will it work with the wireless?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now the trick question is will it work with the wireless?

Just my guess but once you have a dmx stream it should work just fine with the wireless

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, »
Am I understanding this right?

1. If I want to use Aurora instead of Vixen, I need to get a DMX dongle from Aurora?
  2. I don't need or use the Lynx dongle in this set up?

May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, »
Yes, it works with wireless (I used 1 TX and 4 EX/RXs).  Once the signal is DMX, everything else should fall into place.

coachers -
1.  Yes, you need the Aurora dongle.
2.  Correct, the Lynx dongle is not needed with Aurora.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, »

Just my guess but once you have a dmx stream it should work just fine with the wireless

Rick R.

But that depends on the implementation of the DMX stream.  IIRC, RJ's dongle always outputs a full DMX packet regardless of the number of channels that are actually being used and his transmitter my require this to work correctly.  This is not however a requirement of the DMX protocol and the Aurora dongle may put out variable length packets which could confuse the transmitter or have it send data that the receiver cannot decode properly.  If the Lynx Tx can work with variable length packets and/or the Aurora dongle always puts out a full DMX packet then it should work just fine but until both of these questions are answered....
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bdk197

• The Keen Family Lights
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, »
I just can't figure out why so much the Aurora DMX dongle is so big of a secret. I've been trying to find out who's dongle will be supported but this information seems to be locked tight within Area 51.

Alas there seems to be no choice but to get the Lynx dongle if for no other reason than to test then again spend more $$'s for the Aurora dongle once it finaly becomes available to more than the chosen few.

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, »
This is the reason that I posted the suggestion on the Aurora site that they get in contact with RJ and work with him directly to ensure it works with all Lynx projects.  Not just someone who has a controller tried it with the Aurora Dongle and it did work.  As far as I can tell from what RJ has stated so far no one has contacted him and thus not really verifying completely the compatibility between Aurora and the Lynx line of products.  I don’t think it would be too much for them to contact him or even just get the Software and Dongle into RJ hands or whatever needs to be done for verification since he is the vendor.  Who knows what might pop up down the road.  What is the worst that can happen? the best that can happen is they end up with a bunch of new customers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, »
I would not get too concerned. If it sends out DMX with in the specs, And being we now it has been tried and shown to work makes it even less a worry.

It will work DMX is a standard and that is why I use it and why you can plug other stuff into you Lynx equipment that is DMX and it will work.

As far as all the techincal stuff about partial universes and such it does not matter. If it is legal DMX it will work. So far everything anyone has tried that I have heard about has worked. I never tested lor stuff and users all over the world are running Lynx stuff plugged into it. In fact the first mini I demo a lor connected to lynx at I had never seen one hooked together.

This is what makes industry standards nice!

RJ

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, »

RJ, you are the Escoffier of DIY lighting control...

Auguste Escoffier introduced to Chefs around the world to use industry standards. So the next time you find yourself enjoying Eggs Benedict while watching your Christmas lights......Thank AE & RJ !
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.