Author Topic: Another Halloween Come and Gone  (Read 1174 times)

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Another Halloween Come and Gone
« on: November 01, 2013, »
Another Halloween come and gone, but I'll be keeping my show up until Tuesday to give some friends a chance to watch it. I'm only posting one video tonight but I hope to add others and some joking skeletons video next week.

As always I not quite happy with the video (or my sequencing) but I hope you enjoy them.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I want to thank Sean, and the rest of the people he is working with, for Nutcracker. Programming my pixels would be almost impossible without it.  While I'm at it I should thank RJ and everyone here at DLA for the work they have done to make Pixels accessible to us non-technical folks. Thanks to the people at DIYC for getting me started on this journey all those years ago and last but certainly not least to KC the creator of Vixen. I may try, and even buy, other sequencing software but there must be a reason I keep running my shows on Vixen 2.1 ...besides my being very old and stuck in my ways. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, by maffeirw »
Luceat lux vestra

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Another Halloween Come and Gone
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, »
nice display!! well done.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

sjb

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, »
Great jobs.

Steve (from Edmonton)

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, »
Very impressed, some really nice sequencing in there.  <res.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, »
 It looks great and inspires me to get up off may duff and do somthing new for next year.....
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, »
I like it!  Details on your tree?  Perhaps (when I put up a Pixel mega tree) I'll put it up for Halloween and then just leave it up.

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, »
I like it!  Details on your tree?  Perhaps (when I put up a Pixel mega tree) I'll put it up for Halloween and then just leave it up.

Firstly I would not do my pixel tree this way again, it is difficult to read the text and make out the graphics because the pixels tend to spiral around the paracord and distort the grid. That being said:
There isn't a lot to this method. I took 12 strings of Rays pixels - made them 110 nodes (cut down 128s and spliced 100s)  for a 24 x 55 tree.  Then used 4" cable ties to attach the strings to paracord (spaced at ~ 3.5"  leaving a loop between nodes 55 & 56.  Last year I hung them from a hook under my gable widow but it was partially blocked by the tree I'm hanging it from now.  This year I tied a pulley to a strong tree branch, ran a rope with a carabiner attached through the pulley and attached the paracord loops to it. Calculated the spacing between  strings for the diameter I wanted and sunk 24 tent pegs along the 1800 semi circle and used a little muscle to pull up the 12 strings. Then I tied the 24 ends of the paracord to the tent pegs attached the controllers and connected them to a passive hub in a battery box in the middle of the trss.  I had hoped to do something about keeping the nodes straight this year but I was at WDW for the first week of October and ran out of time. I'm not sure if I am going to take it down and redo it for Christmas yet, but I have a lot to get accomplished switching this layout to my Christmas layout and probably will just leave it up and figure out a better method for the pixel tree for next year.   
Luceat lux vestra

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, »
Added some new videos to the first post.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, »
Boy, I think your singer sequences were spot on!  Enjoyed the shows, always interesting to me to see the different decorations available around the country!

Will be looking forward to the christmas video's.

Offline meman

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, »
Thats a big Halloween show...nice Job!

Mike E.

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, »
like the display - and thanks for the tree info
Ted K

Offline urthegman

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, »
We are own worse critics. You should be proud, you did an incredible job, everything(sequencing included) was just awesome!!!

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, »
Good job... Nice song selection.  I love seeing how other people sequence songs that I do.  It helps with the creativity.  Thanks for sharing.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login