Author Topic: Another Noobie Needs Help  (Read 2888 times)

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
Another Noobie Needs Help
« on: October 28, 2010, »
I didn't want to hijack mmais68569 thread, but our questions about the same.

I have a pretty good grasp on the hardware requirements to produce a show. I have played around with Vixen, I can produce a sequence (not a good one but it is a sequence). My question isn't really how to put on a show but how to run the lights and music from lights on to lights out?

From what I have picked up from the forums and looking at the menu's in Vixen everything is done in Vixen. I have watched the series of youtube videos, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, they are just for sequencing. Is there an article or wiki on this subject or can someone describe the steps.

Thank you,
Mark
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
Re: Another Noobie Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, »
Try this:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Randy

Offline warspyder

• My Black Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, »
Try this:

Randy

Thanks! That helps.

Where does the background sequence fit in with that?  Or do you create a generic sequence to fill in the time between shows?

For example, say you have a 15 minute show that you show every hour. Do you create a background sequence a generic sequence to fill in the 45 minutes between shows?
Mark Coulter
Oak Harbor, WA

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, »
Don't know the answer to that but check here:

,Randy

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, »
Hi Mark,

Here is a quick step by step guide line. Of course there is many variations to the process but its a good starting place.

I see that Randy posted a link also

Background script. The first year I did one but the second year I skipped it. If you have some programming background than go for it but its not required.

Here is the link for my background script You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is the link from Ken explaining a bgs You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps some

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, »
I'm thinking of putting my radio sign in a background script, but it is connected to an LE that will be used for the show.  How does that work when two different things are trying to send commands to one LE?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, »
I'm thinking of putting my radio sign in a background script, but it is connected to an LE that will be used for the show.  How does that work when two different things are trying to send commands to one LE?

The background script only runs when there is no sequence running

What ever channel the sign is connected to just have each seq have it on. If there is large gaps between shows and you want the sign on than add a bgs

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, »

What ever channel the sign is connected to just have each seq have it on. If there is large gaps between shows and you want the sign on than add a bgs

Rick R.

Well that explains a lot.  I was trying to avoid putting in a line in every sequence that is always on since it is such a pain to click and drag from one end to the other to highlight a whole row.  I did find that I can click in the first column then drag the bar at the bottom to the other end, then hold down shift and click the last column, but it would be so much nicer if there was a paste until end or the common windows key of ctrl-end.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, »

Rick R.

Well that explains a lot.  I was trying to avoid putting in a line in every sequence that is always on since it is such a pain to click and drag from one end to the other to highlight a whole row.  I did find that I can click in the first column then drag the bar at the bottom to the other end, then hold down shift and click the last column, but it would be so much nicer if there was a paste until end or the common windows key of ctrl-end.

Why do it the hard way?

Right click on the channel name and select set all events to full intensity

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, »

Rick R.

Why do it the hard way?

Right click on the channel name and select set all events to full intensity

Cheers

Rick R.

Ricky!  SHHHHH!!!! don't give all the best tricks out until season 5   >:D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, »

Ricky!  SHHHHH!!!! don't give all the best tricks out until season 5   >:D

RJ

Sorry I am a rebel and I forget the rules time line at times

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, »
Now come up with a trick to set all events to 50% (125) intensity.  And do you have a way to use one of the paste options to change all on events in a row to a different intensity. 

I decided that a number of my strings are to bright and I want to lower the intensity.  In the case of my radio sign and it being always on, I have found that I can lower the intensity to 125 and it is still readable and using a lot less power.

And I have other strings that are not always on, but are way to bright.  I didn't notice or think of them until I started to look at videos for things to change.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Greg

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, »
control-down arrow or control-shift down arrow perhaps?  Of course you need to highlight the events you wish to change.  And as you might expect the control/control-shift up arrow increases intensity.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, »
Now come up with a trick to set all events to 50% (125) intensity.  And do you have a way to use one of the paste options to change all on events in a row to a different intensity. 

I decided that a number of my strings are to bright and I want to lower the intensity.  In the case of my radio sign and it being always on, I have found that I can lower the intensity to 125 and it is still readable and using a lot less power.

And I have other strings that are not always on, but are way to bright.  I didn't notice or think of them until I started to look at videos for things to change.

How about setting one channel to 125 and then do a copy all channel events to clipboard and then move to another channel and use the paste all channel events from clipboard. Of course right clicking on the channel name to get those options.

Rick R.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, »
Jim,
You can highlight the entire channel(s), right click on the channel, click on find and replace (or cntrl-F) snd replace 100 with whatever percentage you want.
Hope that helps.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!