Author Topic: Another 'Brilliant' idea.... that didn't work!  (Read 5148 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Another 'Brilliant' idea.... that didn't work!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, »
be careful how much you gouge it.  each scratch will show up, so if you have a lot of scratches going in the same direction, it will show up that way.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dmoore

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will point out that the Firelfli pixel looks alot like the 5050 RBG led modules that we are used to purchasing from Ray Wu.  Specifically the square modules.

You'd be correct - here is a close-up of a firefli pixel module:

Offline tng5737

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, »
I have been in contact with the maker of the Saber Tree (compfire).   He said that he used the same extruded acrylic tubes which I purchased.  Furthermore, he used two sets of firefli's - one set for the tops of the tubes and another at the bottom.   He also said that he did nothing to the tubes - he did not drill into the ends to place the lights nor did he frost or sand the exterior in any way.   He said he would send some pictures - if he does, with his permission,  I will post them here!
I was using pixel nodes - if I have any any pixel squares left over after I build dmoore's coroflakes - I will try those instead of the nodes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, »
I have been in contact with the maker of the Saber Tree (compfire).   He said that he used the same extruded acrylic tubes which I purchased.  Furthermore, he used two sets of firefli's - one set for the tops of the tubes and another at the bottom.   He also said that he did nothing to the tubes - he did not drill into the ends to place the lights nor did he frost or sand the exterior in any way.   He said he would send some pictures - if he does, with his permission,  I will post them here!
I was using pixel nodes - if I have any any pixel squares left over after I build dmoore's coroflakes - I will try those instead of the nodes.
Nice, good info. I would like to make a tree like this one of these days. After I finish the other 50 things first..

Offline tng5737

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, »
here is a photo of a little experiment I did.  The tube on the left has been sanded linghtly with metal oxide paper.  the tube on the right is clear.   Both are illuminated from the bottom using the SS squares (one each).   It is hard to tell in the photo since the camera really picks up the light, however the sanded tube gives a uniform light where as the clear is brightest at the bottom and top.  The acrylic really shows red color up the best and the white the least.  I routed a 1/4" dado along the bottom of a 2x4 the width of the squares.  then I routed another thinner grove down the center of the previous dado to allow the wires to pass freely.   Finally I bored 1" holes  for the tubes which are situated directly over the squares. 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, »
that's pretty cool, now it's got me thinkin....

i wonder if the intensity would be different with a smaller diameter rod...

like 3/4, or 1/2"

Offline tng5737

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, »
the problem would be in how you lighted them - if you use the squares as I did then you might even want to go to a slightly larger rod. simply because of how the leds are placed in the squares.  Haven't played with that aspect yet but ultimately I might use pvc pipe on the ends and move the squares back a bit in order to get a more complete lighting.   Also, placing another square at the other end would light them more evenly.   Of course that will limit how one uses these.  For example, that arrangement would not be suitable if you were making say a LIGHT Pipe Organ.  The sanded or frosted give a more uniform light but I sure do like the way the clear acrylic looks.    BTW, orginally I had drilled a 1/2" hole in the end of the rod to put a single pixel node.  However, the drilling caused the surrounding acrylic surface to cloud and the light transmission was much reduced.  You could probably use a low flame to re-melt the acrylic - I didn't try that .  Just too much work!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, »
the clouding comes from the high speed of the drill bit, try drilling at a slower "plunge rate" into the plastic, and even try wetting the surface, like one would wet brick of tile when cutting. i fear melting, would make it worse.

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, »
Would this kind of thing work with the rainbow flood or are these Firefli's super bright or something? 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, »
b/c of the size of a rainbow flood, you'd need a really big diameter rod. which would be expensive.

Offline rm357

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, »
The idea is to put the light into the end of the rod, making it glow from within. In the Firefli, the LEDs are physically closer together than either of the sqare modules or the rectangular module giving better light transfer in a smaller rod. Also the 3 x 5050 LEDs are brighter than a single pixel net node.

The rainbow flood would also be shining a lot of light on and past the rod.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, »
OK so this is a smart string square project.  I get it now.  I showed the picture and video to my wife and she said "wow we should use those for stair rails."  I made it in on the pixel net co-op but faced the reality that the smart strings would have to wait next year.  However a tree made of these & a small number of smart string squares would have a huge wow factor and be easier on the wallet.  I look forward to hearing how your PVC test goes.